What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked my first AG I brewed yesterday. Bubbling nicely. I always give SWMBO a bubble report. She doesn't drink beer... Until I start a Lambic.

Dang fridge is on the fritz again this morning. Can't get it to maintain temp. So I guess I'll just have to chill my top off water down to whatever temp I can & brew anyway. The yeast & LME in the fridge & hops in the freezer won't last long if the darn thing keeps going up to 55F.

Spent 3 hours trimming a quarter acre of weeds, and finishing several other small projects around the house, so I can spend next weekend brewing. Doing a summer hefe w/ lemon zest.

Slowly recruiting future homebrewers... I'm in a supper club group, where we rotate hosting Sunday pot luck dinners. In advance of my hosting at the end of August, I'm getting others from the supper club to come over and brew a beer that we can drink then. I've got 5 people committed to come to brew day, and I'm getting them involved in choosing what to brew.

Also, I cleaned bottles.

The saison I pitched the 3711 yeast on yesterday afternoon was bubbling merrily
When I got up at 6:40am. Once again,I caught the yeast at the right point for it to start in a few hours! :ban:

This is what I am doing for beer right now

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401215577.149601.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1401215587.541446.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Checked in on the Red's RyePA clone I brewed yesterday. Krausen in full form. Looking good and smelling awesome.

I'm refurbishing four, old, nasty, beat up, pin lock kegs.

Cleaning up my brewing space, in the garage.

Making a list of specialty grains, to pick up at the LHBS.

Cleaning the blowoff, from a starter. (WLP090).

Added a wetproof thermocouple to my boiler. Tested it for leaks... All went well with some teflon, a washer and an O-ring. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401228159.088238.jpg

Bottled up my first batch of Belgian Wit. Hoping that some carbonation and chilling will do it some good, tasting the hydro sample was less than thrilling. Had a near unexplainable flavour of what tree bark smells like, and a smell that was like the dehydrated orange peel I broke into smaller pieces and boiled went south. Time will tell I suppose.

Current status:
Relaxing, with a homebrew, on the couch and feet on the coffee table.

Bottled 11 bombers and a case of 12s of our now 26 month old black sour. Had about a pint overage so we're drinking that for dinner. Pretty interestingly good. Coffee, chocolate and a LaFolie esque sour that creeps up and bites your tongue. Hopefully it will carb some but if not, we're good :)

After visible fermentation completed, I cleaned the blowoff tube to ensure I still have positive ventilation.

Got my first hops plants in years! Found these at my brothers... He thought they had died.

I believe he said these are Cascade.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401241522.765914.jpg

Bottled my bourbon barrel porter. Going to toast the oats for my oatmeal porter I have planned for the weekend.

Bottled my bourbon barrel porter. Going to toast the oats for my oatmeal porter I have planned for the weekend.

Do you have a barrel?
Also, silly question but have you made videos on YouTube? You posted a pic of yourself and you look like this girl on YouTube who does how-to videos on brewing.

Do you have a barrel?
Also, silly question but have you made videos on YouTube? You posted a pic of yourself and you look like this girl on YouTube who does how-to videos on brewing.

Nope just used oak cubes ;)
And the only videos I have on YouTube are my cute kids! But now I'm intrigued and am going to have to search later...

Finally got the rest of my gear dusted,cleaned,etc & put away. The ingredients for my dampfbier is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Gotta check & see if the Irish red is finally done so I can open up the other fermenter...

Ordered a new liquid tube for a keg since the guy I bought it from cut off so much that I lost a gallon of beer to the bottom. The tube was too long so I trimmed it 1.25" and it is perfect. Filled it with starsan, leak test, made sure the liquid side did work still and now it is ready for my blackberry wheat beer. Afrer this I will have only one 5.25 gallon batch to bottle and one beer fermenting. Oh and all 5 kegs and taps full and in play!

Ordered a new liquid tube for a keg since the guy I bought it from cut off so much that I lost a gallon of beer to the bottom. The tube was too long so I trimmed it 1.25" and it is perfect. Filled it with starsan, leak test, made sure the liquid side did work still and now it is ready for my blackberry wheat beer. Afrer this I will have only one 5.25 gallon batch to bottle and one beer fermenting. Oh and all 5 kegs and taps full and in play!

Have you noticed that you seem to go through beer faster when its out of a keg?

Glad the kegging is working out for you.

Connected my good friend (who wants to join the Bruery Preservation Societe) with my proxy in CA. And after seeing the upcoming quarter beers I really can't wait to try New American Oak Aged Sucré and Sans Pagaie.

Have you noticed that you seem to go through beer faster when its out of a keg?

Glad the kegging is working out for you.

I don't actually. One keg is filled with a "meh" beer though and the other is a batch of beer that I need to preserve so I can get some to someone else first. When that is done, it's on. About 3 gallons of an IPA in one I just kegged and I'll keg the other tonight. Then the 5th is cream soda. Beer lasts me longer because I am not sharing it as much. I did some inventory and I bottled 23 bombers of my strawberry blonde and drank 4 on my own. I gave away about 80% of my blonde ale because I was filling growlers. I need to ditch those and buy growlettes.

Anyway, so far it has lasted me longer. I've had some headaches with kegging and need to attend to a moisture issue in the keezer (and finish it) but so far it is real nice.

I don't actually. One keg is filled with a "meh" beer though and the other is a batch of beer that I need to preserve so I can get some to someone else first. When that is done, it's on. About 3 gallons of an IPA in one I just kegged and I'll keg the other tonight. Then the 5th is cream soda. Beer lasts me longer because I am not sharing it as much. I did some inventory and I bottled 23 bombers of my strawberry blonde and drank 4 on my own. I gave away about 80% of my blonde ale because I was filling growlers. I need to ditch those and buy growlettes.

Anyway, so far it has lasted me longer. I've had some headaches with kegging and need to attend to a moisture issue in the keezer (and finish it) but so far it is real nice.

Wow. Mine disappear so much faster. Of course I live in a house with 3 other adults. I really need to get them to contribute to the kegs.

Get an Eva-Dry for your keezer. ~$23 currently
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H0XFD2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
I got one and it works great. Just plug it in overnight every once in a while and you should be set.

No affiliation... etc

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured since I'm finishing up cleaning of my chit,I might as well re-arrange the ol' brewery a bit. Now if I could just sell these reclining racing buckets so I can get the 2 big boxes outta here...

Wow. Mine disappear so much faster. Of course I live in a house with 3 other adults. I really need to get them to contribute to the kegs.

Get an Eva-Dry for your keezer. ~$23 currently
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H0XFD2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
I got one and it works great. Just plug it in overnight every once in a while and you should be set.

No affiliation... etc

Eva-dry with a small fan next to it and moisture is gone. Avoid opening the door/lid as much as possible, that helps a lot too.
Got it, and the Eva Dry, not the cheap off brand. I have a fan but I need to place it somewhere else. I also need to go back and check seals. All in due time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know not the off brand. I got the 2 of the eva dry (1 keezer, 1 ferm keezer) and am happy with them. I got a $1-2 Target brand fan and threw it in one of the baskets that came with the chest freezer and aimed it down. Works for me.

* bottled my Munich/Spalt Select SMASH
* washed too many bottles
* put some harvested Nottingham yeast in the fridge
* RDWHAHB'd

Yeah,my super agata bench capper really made the job flow go smoother. Wish I'd have gotten it sooner myself. Gotta check the Irish red today,looks to be done finally...:mug:

Not the right thread but...

I picked up an oldish bench capper at a yard sale a couple weeks ago and really like it except it won't let go of the cap. Is there anyway to fix that? I am thinking maybe rub a candle inside the bell?

Brewing an oatmeal cookie porter and just started soaking a vanilla bean in some bourbon for it.

Brewed a batch of blonde, racked another onto strawberries, and kegged a batch last night. Tried to kick a keg of apfelwein too, but fell short.

Well,after a month & 2 days,my Irish red's down from 1.061 to 1.014. Looks like that's as good as it's gonna get after a stall. But that equals 6.8% by Cooper's formula,so that's good. Just the amount in the hydrometer sample gave me a nice buzz. Kind of a earthy red malty flavor. Can't wait to see what 2.2 Vco2 gives it. Interesting that Irish red isn't in the style list on tasty brew's calculator. So I had to use NB's calculator instead.:drunk:

I brewed an Imperial Black Ale. It was one of the biggest grain bills, I've mashed yet. No problems today, except getting to pitching temps.

Size: 5.5 gal
Grains:
17 lbs 2-row
1 lbs Wheat Malt
0.5 lbs Midnight Wheat
0.5 lbs Carafa Special III
Hops:
1oz Simcoe 60mins
1oz Simcoe 30mins
2oz Simcoe Whirlpool
2oz Citra Whirlpool

I love "a little sumpin sumpin"!!! Can you PM the recipe to me? I'll try to locate the "you can brew this" thread but I don't think I've seen it before.

Sorry for the delay...just saw this now!
OG: 1.070

2-row: 8lbs or ( 6lb LME & 0.6 lb DME)
Malted wheat : 6 lb 1.5 oz
Toasted malted wheat: 3.1 oz
Torrified wheat: 1 lb 13 oz

Mash @ 150

15g Nugget @ 90
8g Willamete @ 45
27g (1oz) Santiam @15 (sub. tetnang if unavailable)
9g Willamete @ 15

Dry Hop:
24g Cascade
24g Centennial
24g Simcoe
24g Chinook
18g Amarillo
15g Columbus

Latest posts

Back