What happened to The Great HBT Stogie Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cubans? No clue if fake or not. Hooligan or, anyone?

7699103C-6FAC-4EE7-AEFF-F6542BB050B9.jpg

Those Cohiba are definitely fake, the bands are misprinted, and if you got all of them from the same place, i would expect all of them to be fakes. Hard to tell on the montes, but the veins are really thick on the wrappers

Also... i would not smoke them!

Thanks Minky. I have found Connecticut shade to be right in my wheelhouse. I think I still need time to develop my palate. I just got a sampler in that I ordered online that's all Connecticut wrapped sticks so hopefully I can find something that I like. So far I only really liked the Kuba Kuba.

Hey 6,
I had a My Father Connecticut last night. VERY nice. Put that one on your short list!

Those Cohiba are definitely fake, the bands are misprinted, and if you got all of them from the same place, i would expect all of them to be fakes. Hard to tell on the montes, but the veins are really thick on the wrappers

I would have to agree, they don't look right. The Monte 2 heads are not near consistent enough and the wrappers all look suspect. I would definitely dissect at least one to see what's inside.

The new undercrown sun grown finally hit at the shop. Working a long shift so grabbed a double corona before realizing it's wrapped in Sumatra. It's not bad, but not sure I want to smoke this for 2+hrs

View attachment 1509916889927.jpg

Great thanks a lot now my Doom is certain between Home brewing my Traeger grill and expensive cuts of meat you guys had to do this at 10 to 20 a shot for a good cigar I’m going to go broke and never retire

Great thanks a lot now my Doom is certain between Home brewing my Traeger grill and expensive cuts of meat you guys had to do this at 10 to 20 a shot for a good cigar I’m going to go broke and never retire

You're welcome! There are actually some sub $10 sticks out there very worth smoking and keeping in rotation. Warped La Hacienda and Illusione Rothschilde come immediately to mind but there are certainly more.

Something I've been craving and haven't had in a long time is the joya de Nicaragua. Especially the Antano
Dark. They're a good value. La Aroma de Cuba is in there too.

You're welcome! There are actually some sub $10 sticks out there very worth smoking and keeping in rotation. Warped La Hacienda and Illusione Rothschilde come immediately to mind but there are certainly more.

Tons of stuff under $10/stick. Of course: online prices, buying in 5 packs or more. B&M's will be more.

There's a lot of sites out there illustrating how to tell forgeries on cc's. I find it shocking that it's so difficult to fake. Except for the holograms. I figure setup a shop in Shanghai and make a fortune.

It is surprising how many fake Cohiba bands are so badly done...its not like its a really complicated desgin.

It is surprising how many fake Cohiba bands are so badly done...its not like its a really complicated desgin.

Sounds i will need to research on how to spot fakes before i head to the Caribbean in the next year or so, was hoping to bring some cc’s home with me

Take the old rule of "If it's too good to be true it probably isn't" If you're going to the carribbean and you're going to a well established B&M you'll pay for the confidence it's real. If you're buying it off the street then you better be a knowledgeable buyer. Not to say a B&M may get a shady shipment but the only issues I normally I have is je ne parle pas francais. Well a little to know when they're speaking about americans :) Even Canada. You can buy CC up there but the amount of tax put on the cigar may not make it as attractive or more prone to forgery.

Then again its all in your head. If you enjoy the cigar who cares if it's not Cuban. Just like when I go to a Chinese restaurant and I believe I'm enjoying chicken and rice.

Real versions of above. Notice the square placement on the cohiba band, none are cut off.

I would have to agree, they don't look right. The Monte 2 heads are not near consistent enough and the wrappers all look suspect. I would definitely dissect at least one to see what's inside.

Thanks all. I appreciate the input.

Then again its all in your head. If you enjoy the cigar who cares if it's not Cuban. Just like when I go to a Chinese restaurant and I believe I'm enjoying chicken and rice.

Oh, I'm still gonna smoke them. ;)

Perhaps. How are you brother? It's been awhile. The boys doing good I hope and or is the Mrs. pregnant again? :D

I am good. The boys are healthy and the wife is NOT pregnant. That just doesn't seem to be possible, despite our efforts.

How are you?

I am good. The boys are healthy and the wife is NOT pregnant. That just doesn't seem to be possible, despite our efforts.

How are you?

Good news indeed all around. I'm good and passed my last quarterly exam with flying colors. Blood draws are now down to once a month.

20SomethingWhut is still pregnant and still on track to be a grandfather this December. Glad to hear things are going well for you my friend.

I'm gonna take those sticks to my local shop and let the store mgr take a look at them. Guy I got them from swears the place sells the real deal. But, I have no clue.

Take care.

Sounds i will need to research on how to spot fakes before i head to the Caribbean in the next year or so, was hoping to bring some cc’s home with me

Shop only at legit places or DO NOT buy in the Caribbean. Seriously, message someone around here and you'll find real stuff.

Shop only at legit places or DO NOT buy in the Caribbean. Seriously, message someone around here and you'll find real stuff.

Point taken, I guess the thing to do is find reputable stores for the different cruise destinations, I didn’t have plans to buy from the shady markets around the port lol

Also I’m getting closer to finishing the random sample sticks i got earlier this year and when i get to my more expensive ones i will pick up a few MF’s i see them advertised in the CI catalogs all the time

Something I've been craving and haven't had in a long time is the joya de Nicaragua. Especially the Antano
Dark. They're a good value. La Aroma de Cuba is in there too.

Wish I would have read this before lighting up. Think I’ve got one of those left.

This ones pretty good though.

View attachment IMG_2461.JPG

Thanks all. I appreciate the input.

Oh, I'm still gonna smoke them. ;)

just smoke and enjoy.:)

there are all different levels of fakes, from crappy ones with crappy tobacco and bands. To ones that use real Cuban tobacco and the actual bands in some of the top cigar shops in cuba. The only real way to tell on the good fakes is to smoke em.

Fakes are more common than the real deal in tourist areas in my experience.

Rio Dulce, Guatemala. Damn its good to be back home in the jungle again! 😎

Ran across this unexpected "Ego" in a local tienda that gets random smokes from Nica & Honduras. Tasty smoke. Given that its not Cuban I expect its less likely to be a fake.

(Aargh...problem attaching pic)

just smoke and enjoy.:)

there are all different levels of fakes, from crappy ones with crappy tobacco and bands. To ones that use real Cuban tobacco and the actual bands in some of the top cigar shops in cuba. The only real way to tell on the good fakes is to smoke em.

No. Just no.
They can also contain dirt, hair, trash, grass, floor sweepings.
No

Another RP Burn for me tonight. Lighter than my normal preference, but a damn nice smoke.

Latest posts

Back