What happened to The Great HBT Stogie Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_2487.JPG

I posted this (KIND OF) in General but I know you guys may have a different look on it than the guys that don't read this thread :)

ANYWAY. My dad and I are traveling across country for 10 days. The plan is to stop for the evening in

Tucson AZ
El Paso TX
Dallas TX
Memphis TN
Nashville TN
Athens GA (2 days)
Macon GA (2 days)

Do you guys have any input on MUST STOPS along the way? Cigar lounges? Breweries ETC?

Cheers
Jay

I posted this (KIND OF) in General but I know you guys may have a different look on it than the guys that don't read this thread :)

ANYWAY. My dad and I are traveling across country for 10 days. The plan is to stop for the evening in

Tucson AZ
El Paso TX
Dallas TX
Memphis TN
Nashville TN
Athens GA (2 days)
Macon GA (2 days)

Do you guys have any input on MUST STOPS along the way? Cigar lounges? Breweries ETC?

Cheers
Jay
In Tucson hit up Barrio Brewing for sure, there is also a great craft beer bar called Tap and Bottle that will let you experience a wide range of the states offerings plus grab bottles to go. Anthony's Cigar Emporium is your best bet for a cigar lounge. If you find yourself up 2 hours north in the Gilbert area the Hooligan Garage is a pretty cool spot and I hear that guy gives guests his home rolls [emoji16].
A little harsh. I find quite a few of these LEs need a year or more to settle in.

You’re welcome. Enjoy.
Glad we are on the same page. I didn't feel that way about last years, but I could taste potential if I'm patient so I will stash them.

In Tucson hit up Barrio Brewing for sure, there is also a great craft beer bar called Tap and Bottle that will let you experience a wide range of the states offerings plus grab bottles to go. Anthony's Cigar Emporium is your best bet for a cigar lounge. If you find yourself up 2 hours north in the Gilbert area the Hooligan Garage is a pretty cool spot and I hear that guy gives guests his home rolls [emoji16].

Glad we are on the same page. I didn't feel that way about last years, but I could taste potential if I'm patient so I will stash them.

Learned my lesson with the original las calaveras. Didn’t like on the initial smoke and got rid of all but 5. A year later amazing and wished I’d kept more.

On Tucson - Tap and Bottle is outstanding, but my favorite brewery when I moved from Tucson to MD (Jan 2015) is Dragoon Brewery, about 1 mile W of I-10 on Grant Rd.

In Memphis - Flying Saucer Draught Emporium. On the drive to MD, I stopped a night in Memphis, a HS friend took me around Beale St. (check out the live music there while in town), stopped in Flying Saucer first - great beer selection.

On Tucson - Tap and Bottle is outstanding, but my favorite brewery when I moved from Tucson to MD (Jan 2015) is Dragoon Brewery, about 1 mile W of I-10 on Grant Rd.

In Memphis - Flying Saucer Draught Emporium. On the drive to MD, I stopped a night in Memphis, a HS friend took me around Beale St. (check out the live music there while in town), stopped in Flying Saucer first - great beer selection.
I forgot about Dragoon, good call. Better beer than Barrio for sure, the food at Barrio is pretty outstanding though if I remember correctly. My last Tucson trip is a little fuzzy. We stopped at several spots and drank well.

I forgot about Dragoon, good call. Better beer than Barrio for sure, the food at Barrio is pretty outstanding though if I remember correctly. My last Tucson trip is a little fuzzy. We stopped at several spots and drank well.

True on Barrio vs Dragoon, but in fairness, of the "big 3", I think Barrio/Gentle Ben's were always solid, used to prefer nimbus, but they seemed to be slipping. Both much better than Thunder Canyon.

Dragoon...I was there opening day, loved their session ale. Last beer in Tucson before I moved was in Dragoon with my dad, and had their quad "Lazarus", from the first brewing. Maybe the best beer I had in Tucson.

I am also obligated to bring up 42-30 - GO DEVILS!

Reluctantly left the jungle for the big city yesterday. Now in Guatemala City for a couple of day. Upside is I can get premium cigars here: RP Decade & a Negra Modelo to end the day.

20171128_165445.jpg

How was it?
It was really tight rolled. I used a V-cutter on it and the draw was too tight so I had to open it up a bit more with a guillotine cutter. Once I got is going it was surprisingly mild, Lite espresso notes in the 1/3 and 2/3. The last 3/3 it really got bold and turned into a Maduro. It was the first stick that I have had where I could really notice a difference between the 2/3 and 3/3.

Sound like a great road trip. I grew up in the deep south and we've talked about doing a an I-10 corridor road trip...lots of great food, music, history...and these days beer!

But for now....in transit back to Panama...in San Jose, CR for the night. Their Imperial aint bad for a BMC kind beer.

20171130_163612.jpg

Finally getting my birthday smoke in. Glad I have one more of these unicorns in my stable.View attachment 548568

Happy Birthday! [emoji322] [emoji320]

I only have like three of those left in my box. Might tuck them away for the long term they're so good. I'm trying to keep two or three of my favorites from each purchase to build up a bit of a collection. I've been bad about that. Not many old cigars in my collection. What I deem 'untouchable' now will be great rewards later.

It's so hard not to crush good smokes when you have them though

Happy Birthday! [emoji322] [emoji320]

I only have like three of those left in my box. Might tuck them away for the long term they're so good. I'm trying to keep two or three of my favorites from each purchase to build up a bit of a collection. I've been bad about that. Not many old cigars in my collection. What I deem 'untouchable' now will be great rewards later.

It's so hard not to crush good smokes when you have them though
Thank you! I agree with all of that. It was an amazing smoke but the last one will be the hardest to smoke because I can't just go buy more.

I almost put this one out the 1/3 was really spicy but I stuck with it and it mellowed out some. It was decent. I just don't have a taste for sungrown sticks.
IMG_4224.jpg

Lost the blend info on this one. Not a huge loss, but I don't want to roll any more of these. Not bad, but pretty generic and boring. No depth and very one note. Did a terrible job wrapping this one too
20171210_183927.jpg

Back in Liton, Panama to resume working on the f'ing boat. Plan to splash in January.

At least I have some smokes. Good old standby Oro de Panama.

Got here after sunset so it was a little to dark for a good pick...will try and get a good sunset one today.

20171210_182707.jpg

Back