What happened to my brew pot???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xcuzme

Reaction score
Anyone??? I've used it for 4 brews now and after cleaning it, it dried looking like this. Is this still usable???
showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

Aluminum? I think that is the oxide layer building up which is OK. Although it appears very uneven on yours, how did you clean this? You shouldn't really have to scrub, I generally wash mine with a soft cloth and let it go at that. If you scrubbed off most of the oxide layer and left it wet that might explain the unevenness of it.

I soaked it with Sun Oxygen cleaner in hot water for about 20 minutes. Didn't really have to scrub. Rinsed well and right after rinsing it out, didn't really see any signs of this. Checked a couple of days later and this is how it looks. Can I still use it???

Looks like the oxiclean removed the oxide layer in areas . I would just rinse it out well and boil some water in it to get the oxide back on the pot. All you need do is rinse the pot and wipe with a sponge and hot water no need to soak it in Oxiclean

So it's salvageable!!! Thats all I needed to hear. I was hoping boiling water in it would replace the oxide layer and from now on no oxygen cleaners during clean up. Thanks for the help!!!

Yea, not a good idea to use oxygen-based cleaners on aluminum, it dissolves the oxide layer. Unless you really did something weird with your boil pot, you should be able to give it a little soap and a good rinse.

I would have guessed that Oxiclean would have actually built up the passive oxide layer rather than taken it off.

In any case, as was said, boil some water in it for 20 or 30 minutes and it'll be fine.

Back