Cleaning sanke d kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a love/hate with corny kegs. Do you guys use sankeys to serve homebrew? I do like the larger cleaning opening and the ease of adding things to the corny keg. How easy is it?

I have a love/hate with corny kegs. Do you guys use sankeys to serve homebrew? I do like the larger cleaning opening and the ease of adding things to the corny keg. How easy is it?
Yes I use Sankey for home brew.
Only add beer, finings, CO2 and ascorbic into my Sankey. I have no experience with Corny kegs.

Awesome, I'd love to hear how it works. Mine are printed, but I can't get the kegs open at the moment... they were professionally cleaned, so ill try again next time i have a dirty one.

IMG_8462.jpeg

Printed the retainer removal tool and it worked like a charm. At that point I needed a 24” piece of 1/2” diameter aluminum rod to slide up the bottom of the tube and hammer out the ball in order to completely disassemble the stem allowing for full cleaning/sanitizing.

Haven't logged in for a while sorry for the late reply. Yes I serve out of sankey kegs only. It's pretty simple. I'm currently looking for the best way to clean them.. that's a little more tricky. Currently I use pbw and hot, shake and force it out with my air compressor, do the same with cold them starsan and force it out with co2. I've never used a corny before, but I know there's lots of chances for leaks etc.

I degas, remove the spear, pour out and rinse with cold water, then warm PBW via cip.
Warm rinse, fill with starsan and purge with ferment gas. Leave about a cupful of starsan and some pressure.
Then pre filling shake, invert and purge out starsan remnants via prv, add any ascorbic, finings and then closed fill.

I degas, remove the spear, pour out and rinse with cold water, then warm PBW via cip.
Warm rinse, fill with starsan and purge with ferment gas. Leave about a cupful of starsan and some pressure.
Then pre filling shake, invert and purge out starsan remnants via prv, add any ascorbic, finings and then closed fill.
My current process works fine... i try not to go overboard, but I also have some clear kegs so i can tell when all the cleaner is out...

My current process works fine... i try not to go overboard, but I also have some clear kegs so i can tell when all the cleaner is out...
Pretty similar process the two of us.
Some of mine are PET Sanke, but I can't get the spears or tops off these so cleaning is a bit more challenging.

Back