Cleaning sanke d kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaskBrewer306

Reaction score
Hi all. Have any of you used something like this?

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/beerthreadxfgh.htm
Omi just got a great deal on a bunch of kegs. My local homebrew cleans them, but I've been waiting over a month for 2 of them to be done (it's a single man operation, he only charges $5... I can see why it's a low priority..).

My plan is 1/3 HP pump of cleaner to this thing with hot water. Will that do? The pump goes to a 3/4" MNPT garden hose.

Also, anyone know a source in Canada for these? Shipping and duty are more than the part!

I would be surprised if that adapter isn't one of @Bobby_M's brainchildren and thus exclusive to brewhardware.com...

Cheers!
Well he might be a genius! I can't believe no one has mass produced this. If it's the only place I'll have to pay the price... but the middle man is taking a toll out of me. If it's north american made it would be duty free that would help.

fwiw, I did look around in all the usual places plus a blind "global" search and didn't find anything that would replace that fitting. That's kinda Bobby's thing - find something that people would love to have that nobody has made yet :)

Cheers!

You’re gonna waste money if you buy it and try to clean. Won’t work. At least, not the way you think it’ll work. All that will end up doing is filling the keg and soaking it with water.
you need a pump to spray cleaner, but you also need compressed air/co2 to push it back out. Most washers do multiple short cycles- purge> rinse> purge> wash> purge> wash> purge > rinse> purge> sanitize> purge

fwiw, I did look around in all the usual places plus a blind "global" search and didn't find anything that would replace that fitting. That's kinda Bobby's thing - find something that people would love to have that nobody has made yet :)

Cheers!
I don't know Bobby yet, but I like him already. I'll buy a few and ask my homebrew store to carry these, if he does that. Bobby you here? Can you confirm?

You’re gonna waste money if you buy it and try to clean. Won’t work. At least, not the way you think it’ll work. All that will end up doing is filling the keg and soaking it with water.
you need a pump to spray cleaner, but you also need compressed air/co2 to push it back out. Most washers do multiple short cycles- purge> rinse> purge> wash> purge> wash> purge > rinse> purge> sanitize> purge
I see, so this just wouldn't be sufficient? If I go with a spear removal tool and then a cip on a pump, soak the spear and reassemble is that sufficient? Maybe I made a mistake buying this style keg.

Cheers!
Thanks, I appreciate that. New to kegging... trying to find an affordable way to do all of this easily.

There are many vids on YouTube on cleaning Sanke kegs.
Here's a simple, straightforward one, without removing the spear, using a coupler with the insides removed, a bucket and a pump:

That's basically my idea, but with a submersible pump. I don't have a fancy riptide or anything yet. I'll try tonight with just the fittings and see what it does!

That's basically my idea, but with a submersible pump. I don't have a fancy riptide or anything yet. I'll try tonight with just the fittings and see what it does!
A submersible pump is fine, many brewers here use them. 1/4-1/2 HP (180-360W) should give you a lot of pressure/flow.

Mind, though, most (if not all) submersible pumps have a (fairly low) maximum on the water temperature. So don't use very hot water when pumping.

I'm not sure how well they fare with detergents, either.

Mind, though, most (if not all) submersible pumps have a (fairly low) maximum on the water temperature. So don't use very hot water when pumping.

Those were my first thoughts. Just curious; Why not use cornelius kegs? I briefly considered sanke's when I started, but trying to match or even come close to specs on what I know is 'safe & standard' looked prohibitively expensive so I just dismissed it and went the economical route I learned on this site with corny's. (here's a Canadian example: Keg Washers and Fillers Archives - Lawson Kegs )
Maybe looking at @Rob2010SS 's thread on the cleaner he made recently will help: Cleaning a sanke keg
Cheers!

A submersible pump is fine, many brewers here use them. 1/4-1/2 HP (180-360W) should give you a lot of pressure/flow.

I'm not sure either. I have a 1/2 hp one for my hot tub that I plan to use, of course it will be well cleaned. If it dies it dies and I learn a lesson. Those riptide pumps are the better part of $400 here.

I just take the spear out, doable without the tool but much easier with.

I put about 10Litres of PBW solution ( homemade) in warm water in an old ferment bucket.

Bought a pond pump think it's about 1800 litre per hour and fitted tube and CIP spray ball on it.

In the bottom of my ferment bucket I have an old microwave stainless steel shelf with legs about 20cm long.
The tube from the pond pump fits between the wires on the shelf and the keg can balance on the stainless shelf inverted.
Turn on and leave it for a while. Works well with the fermentasaurus as well.

Do make sure you have the keg on the CIP before turning on! you get wet quite quickly otherwise.

I just take the spear out, doable without the tool but much easier with.

I put about 10Litres of PBW solution ( homemade) in warm water in an old ferment bucket.

Bought a pond pump think it's about 1800 litre per hour and fitted tube and CIP spray ball on it.

In the bottom of my ferment bucket I have an old microwave stainless steel shelf with legs about 20cm long.
The tube from the pond pump fits between the wires on the shelf and the keg can balance on the stainless shelf inverted.
Turn on and leave it for a while. Works well with the fermentasaurus as well.

Do make sure you have the keg on the CIP before turning on! you get wet quite quickly otherwise.
Thanks for the advice. Just ordered a cip. I'm looking for the tool at a reasonable price. Dang those are expensive. About $150CAD shipped. I'm sure there are better prices around.

My homebrew store guy got me set up, all cleaned for $50. Got 12 clean kegs and a full one, so I'm good for a bit. But I will find a way to keep then maintained.
IMG_20230901_105555.jpg

A picture of the pond pump and cip with the adjustable / telescopic tube between the pump and CIP.

I see, so this just wouldn't be sufficient? If I go with a spear removal tool and then a cip on a pump, soak the spear and reassemble is that sufficient? Maybe I made a mistake buying this style keg.
that will definitely work. long story short, the issue is that the holes for liquid and gas are pretty small in a sanke coupler. pump pressure will help push liquid in, but the liquid cant leave fast enough so it just builds up and fills the keg. that's why they cycle from liquid, purge using air/co2 to empty, then liquid again.

but if you're gonna take the spear out then you're going to be fine. any decent keg washer rig will be able to clean it up for you. although you'll still need a way to clean the actual spear so you'll still want to be pumping cleaner through the coupler like you originally planned- soaking cleans the actual spear but not the inside of the ball valve/spring/etc.

so yeah, if you add a spear removal tool and keg wash rig you're all set.

Maybe I made a mistake buying this style keg.
No, you made the right choice.
There are good reasons Sankey kegs are the industry standard, not corny kegs. All pro breweries, even small ones, use them.

Sankey kegs are much more robust and have far fewer parts. They seal better too, no dealing with a clamp-on lid and its rubber o-ring, and posts that can leak any time.

Besides, corny kegs were never meant to serve beer from. They were made for the soda industry, holding the concentrated syrups used in the dispensing machines.

The spear removal tool is a great if you will be using the spears. I opt to ditch the spears and go for the ball lock adapter with integral PRV and floating dip tube with a screen.

Any of you guys from Canada that can find a good price on the spear removal tools? I found one single cheap one, but I'm not sure if it would work, it mentions tamper proof locking clips, and I have no idea if that's what I have?

https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/keg-opener-d-and-s.html
It looks similar to my spear removal tool.
I suppose find a picture of these tamper proof kegs and or contact the supplier.
If you can remove the spear with hammer and flat head screwdriver it's surely not a tamper proof keg.

I suppose find a picture of these tamper proof kegs and or contact the supplier.
If you can remove the spear with hammer and flat head screwdriver it's surely not a tamper proof keg.
I don't THINK they're tamper proof kegs, but I can ask the seller... most of them look like this. I couldn't get the rings out.. I have two that I did get the rings out on, the rest (10 of them) look like this:

1702552631115.png

I ended up finding a couple promising 3D print models to take the spear apart. I haven't opened the kegs yet, but incase anyone else is interested in trying:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5237002
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5265455
If they work I'll probably do a post on them for anyone else who has 3d printing access.

I ended up finding a couple promising 3D print models to take the spear apart. I haven't opened the kegs yet, but incase anyone else is interested in trying:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5237002
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5265455
If they work I'll probably do a post on them for anyone else who has 3d printing access.
That’s legit. Even though I don’t use my spears, I have a pile of about 10 of them. Gonna have to print this just in case.

That’s legit. Even though I don’t use my spears, I have a pile of about 10 of them. Gonna have to print this just in case.
Awesome, I'd love to hear how it works. Mine are printed, but I can't get the kegs open at the moment... they were professionally cleaned, so ill try again next time i have a dirty one.

Back