How To Get This Out of My Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdavis2003

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Had this happen before but was able to clean it no problem. This time it won't come off without me scratching the surface all to hell, which you can see I've started to do. This is the result of my hop spider sitting on the bottom of the kettle during the boil. It's a cheap kettle and I have a replacement already but I wanted to use this as a HLT in the future.

Any tips on how to clean this or recommended products? I've only tried PBW and a course pad (those smiley face cleaning pads)

1699026347613.png

Had this happen before but was able to clean it no problem. This time it won't come off without me scratching the surface all to hell, which you can see I've started to do. This is the result of my hop spider sitting on the bottom of the kettle during the boil. It's a cheap kettle and I have a replacement already but I wanted to use this as a HLT in the future.

Any tips on how to clean this or recommended products? I've only tried PBW and a course pad (those smiley face cleaning pads)

View attachment 833060
Have you tried Barkeepers Friend? It’s pretty good on stainless.

The surface is already scratched to hell. A SOS or Brillo pad might get that off, but if it's a chemical stain from something that sat there for a time, then it may have permanently altered the color of the metal layer there at the surface.

While some seem to think SOS pads will scratch, they certainly won't scratch it nearly as bad as those scratches are. And it might help burnish or smooth out the edges of those scratches already there.

I don't think you mentioned...is the kettle stainless steel or aluminum?

If you don't want to add more scratches, you can use a Dobie pad with BKF. If your kettle is aluminum, be gentle, as BKF could scratch it more easily. With BKF and some elbow grease you might be able to buff out some of those scratches, or at least smooth the edges of them.

Don't use SOS/Brillo pads on anything brew-related. Those are steel wool. No matter how well you rinse, you still run the risk of having some of that steel remaining. Next brew could pick up some of that iron. It doesn't take much iron to add a metallic off-flavor.

^^ Again..Barkeeper's Friend. For really stubborn spots it, like @day_trippr said; a thick paste with a white scotch-brite pad.
If the scratches bother you, you can use a dremel with a wool pad and the green buffing compound.

to use this as a HLT in the future.
Don't worry too much about the scratches. If the kettle is only going to hold water, there's little worry about the scratches harboring nasties. Good luck with removing the scorched area. If BKF doesn't cut it, you could use a more abrasive cleanser. Too, though it's ugly, in an HLT it probably wouldn't make any noticeable difference to the water and ultimate beer.

What about one of those scouring scrub brush attachments for a cordless drill? Maybe that and some thick BKF would do the trick?

Amazon has them and I think Harbor Freight also carries them if you don't want to wait on the mail.

BKF is not a very effective passivation agent compared to citric acid...

Cheers!
very true. but will work for minor touch ups, also depends on quality of stainless. and in most cases passivation really isn't required for minor abrasions and probably wont see any rust forming.

cooking a pot of tomato sauce would probably take care of it.

Go to Walmart, in the cleaning aisle, there is "cleaning" vinegar. It's like 35% acid (regular vinegar is like 5%.) Stuff is great! $3/half-gallon.

Edit: Sorry 20% acid, Just looked at the bottle.

Last edited:

View attachment 833060
Heat some white vinegar and let it sit overnight. Should wipe right out the next day.

Paint scraper might even get a lot of it to begin with. I wouldn't normally suggest that but it's already pretty scraped up.

Latest posts

Back