Dry hopping w Grainfather GF30 conical fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samosbrew

Reaction score
Hi there - first time poster!

I'm trying to figure out the best way of dry hopping in a Grainfather GF30 conical fermenter (with dual valve tap) while minimising oxygen exposure. So far I've just opened the fermenter and lobbed hops in a few days before fermentation ends, which has worked fine enough for the styles I'm brewing. However, I plan to abandon this method because I'd like to dry hop after fermentation has finished, and want to brew some beers that are more prone to oxidation, so can't rely on fermentation using up any oxygen that enters from opening the lid.

The Grainfather website suggests using the pressure transfer kit to add 1 PSI of CO2 to the fermenter to create positive pressure with CO2 and so minimise oxygen exposure when you open the lid (link here). I'm confused about the detail: the Grainfather website suggests bubbling CO2 up through the beer from the sample outlet of the dual valve at the bottom of the fermenter; but, as far as I'm aware, the pressure transfer kit attaches to the top of the fermenter. I also don't understand the benefit of adding CO2 pressure from the bottom, when it can just be added via the top of the fermenter.

Does anyone have experience of this method who could lend a hand? Otherwise, do you have any other tips for dry hopping with this fermenter?

Back