What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a great fill, probably perfect texture.

Yea, bit of heaven there. The skin is really nice when smoked - snap is perfect. These couldn't have turned out any better. Note that I ground the meat one night, stuffed the next, smoked the next, ate the next. Altogether it's a fair sized job, but split up like that it was nothing.

BTW, that pork was $2 / lb. Super cheap sausages when you get find pork shoulder on sale.

Yea, bit of heaven there. The skin is really nice when smoked - snap is perfect. These couldn't have turned out any better. Note that I ground the meat one night, stuffed the next, smoked the next, ate the next. Altogether it's a fair sized job, but split up like that it was nothing.

BTW, that pork was $2 / lb. Super cheap sausages when you get find pork shoulder on sale.

My roommate was finding shoulders for under a buck a pound here. I kept finding them at two bucks a pound. I really want to get into chartrucerie. I have too many hobbies.

Harissa roasted chicken, mashed sweet potatoes with ginger and orange, shaved brussel sprouts.

Salad with Asian pear, toasted walnuts, dried cherries and goat cheese.

image.jpg

Just broke down a white pumpkin...canned 8 pint jars of cubes, roasted the rest. The roasted pumpkin got puréed. A couple 4 oz jars strained and refrigerated for grandson, a quart bag frozen for future baby food, and a few cups went in the crock pot to start a Batch of pumpkin butter. Washed the seeds and stuck them in the fridge...I'll deal with them tomorrow.

IMG_20151106_200159855.jpg

IMG_20151106_224456555.jpg

Just broke down a white pumpkin...canned 8 pint jars of cubes, roasted the rest. The roasted pumpkin got puréed. A couple 4 oz jars strained and refrigerated for grandson, a quart bag frozen for future baby food, and a few cups went in the crock pot to start a Batch of pumpkin butter. Washed the seeds and stuck them in the fridge...I'll deal with them tomorrow.

I'm making pumpkin ravioli today. We are thinking alike!

I'm making pumpkin ravioli today. We are thinking alike!
Just pulled seeds out of the oven. A mix of pumpkin pie spices, sugar, salt, pepper, and cayenne for flavor. Had some extra cubes from canning that didn't fit, so I'm cooking them down on the stove top...planning pumpkin bread. Oh, and my pumpkin butter went overnight...lotsa liquid. Added a cap of cider vinegar...just what it needed... and put it in a jar in the fridge.

IMG_20151107_133311364.jpg

_20151107_125217.jpg

Biscotti rocks! And OMG folks are doing good eats today!! Ribs are about ready to wrap in foil and finish for a couple of more hours. Which is cool, cause I need to wash the apple juice out of my single spray bottle so that I can finish rolling cigars! Lol
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1446935288.709033.jpg

Mmmmmm Melana - I'll bring the chile verde and some homefried tortilla chips and the biscotti to your house if you'll share the meatballs/sauce and chili! :)

Heck I'll even bring the sake - it tastes really good warmed up a bit on a cool night.

SWMBO asked if I could do something with some b/s chicken thighs we have in the freezer. I thought "I have some leftover peppers from yesterday, maybe I stuff the thighs with peppers. And onions. Or maybe I stuff them with a little sausage and peppers and onions.

... Or maybe I stuff them with just sausage. And wrap them in bacon. And grill them. Yes. Yes. That. That'll do.

I got a couple of kielbasa from the local shop, and I'll cut them open and briefly saute the loose sausage and stuff the thighs. After grilling I'll serve them on a bed of those peppers and onions which will be grilled separately. Spirits are high.

Mmmmmm Melana - I'll bring the chile verde and some homefried tortilla chips and the biscotti to your house if you'll share the meatballs/sauce and chili! :)

Heck I'll even bring the sake - it tastes really good warmed up a bit on a cool night.

Deal

Closing the loop on the andouille sausage I've been using lately: smoked it last night. Went great, chilled when done, had for lunch today with spicey yellow rice / black beans / onions, with a bit of sweet hot mustard. It's a fairly spicey sausage with a TON of flavor. I used the smoked andouille recipe from Charcuterie.

_mg_1089-66336.jpg

_mg_1121-66346.jpg

_mg_11321-66348.jpg

Amazing looking..Recipe use pink salt cure?

Nothing like chicken with rice and peas. The cabbage looks good too. Is that carrot in with it? I really want to do callaloo, but had to get the right ingredients near here.

Yep, the cabbage has carrots, sweet onions, garlic and a bit of orange and green bell pepper, sautéed in butter before adding the cabbage and letting it all steam. I can't get enough of it and goes perfect with the chicken and rice

Chili looks even more awesome now that I can see it properly on the computer instead of the phone. Is it a recipe or did you just wing it, and either way what did you do and what all is in it? It really looks mouth watering!

I just put stuff in the pot. No beans. The meat is ground beef and pulled pork. I had a cup of frozen chili that I added.

Back