What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, my sausage stuffed, bacon wrapped chicken thighs were a bit much (shock!). I think meat stuffed with meat or meat wrapped in meat are good, but not all three at once.

I took the leftovers and chopped them up and heated it up along with some chopped zucchini and mixed it up with penne and some of SWMBO's wonderful homemade pesto, which she made with basil from our garden. Now THAT was good. Pesto is really good with a little bacon and a little sausage.

Dinner on Sat.

picsay-1447098749.jpg

14day dry aged beef in the burger patties, home grown fancy tomatoes from GF garden, asiago buns from super market, and some pricey very sharp cheddar that had red wine in it.

Pickles are cucumbers also from the GF's garden and pickled in a dill brine with dill from her garden...lol.

Some almonds from Costco that were soaked in butter, then salted and roasted in oven. A little over cooked because I was trying to use same oven as the acorn squash.

Acorn squash soup, first time EVER and it was great! GF asked if I had written it down, when I said no, I had to stop eating and write it down. LOL. (Split the acorn squash, face down on cookie sheet to roast for 30, then face up close to heat to caramelize for 10 min, scoop into pot add 4cups water and 1cup whole milk. Basil, onion powder, garlic powder, teensy bit of red pepper seeds, chili powder, salt and worcestershire sauce.) ((Pic was taken before I remember the cracked black pepper, and it is important.))

((Edit...oh yeah, you only get soup with judicious use of stick blender...))

Dinner on Sat.

14day dry aged beef in the burger patties, home grown fancy tomatoes from GF garden, asiago buns from super market, and some pricey very sharp cheddar that had red wine in it.

Pickles are cucumbers also from the GF's garden and pickled in a dill brine with dill from her garden...lol.

Some almonds from Costco that were soaked in butter, then salted and roasted in oven. A little over cooked because I was trying to use same oven as the acorn squash.

Acorn squash soup, first time EVER and it was great! GF asked if I had written it down, when I said no, I had to stop eating and write it down. LOL. (Split the acorn squash, face down on cookie sheet to roast for 30, then face up close to heat to caramelize for 10 min, scoop into pot add 4cups water and 1cup whole milk. Basil, onion powder, garlic powder, teensy bit of red pepper seeds, chili powder, salt and worcestershire sauce.) ((Pic was taken before I remember the cracked black pepper, and it is important.))

((Edit...oh yeah, you only get soup with judicious use of stick blender...))

I'm getting prodded by SWMBO for acorn squash soup again lately! And yes, it is good eats! Nice dinner you laid out there!

Granted its the bigger Weber, and I can just barely get two racks of ribs on it, but even on my smaller one I could do a single rack of ribs.

I'm sure you're aware, but there are a number of different racks out there for cooking ribs. Of course you'll still be lacking space if youre wrapping them all during your cook. Then again, even if you are wrapping, who's to say you can't stack them or even finish in the oven, after you wrap each rack.

View attachment 1447105587668.jpg

Those ribs dripped a lot of fat though.

Put a few pork butts / shoulders. It's a fat spigot.

Granted its the bigger Weber, and I can just barely get two racks of ribs on it, but even on my smaller one I could do a single rack of ribs.

I have a WSM. I can get at least 4 per grate without a rib rack by curling them and pushing a skewer through them. Works great. You could do the same with a kettle (I do this on a Performer, but no pics). I don't like the rib racks... seems like the meat gets caught on them and tears when I try to get the ribs out of the rack. Maybe my racks are just crappy. I've only done this with babybacks.

babyback-ribs-on-smoker-60783.jpg

I've shopped rib racks. Never used them though. I have not had a reason to feed more folks than two racks of spare ribs would be required. I may someday get one so I can do more, but for now I can fit what I need on the big Weber and just move them around flat, and flip and baste with apple juice :)

That is no joke! I have to keep an eye out on my water-bath in my smoker, as if it runs dry, the cup or two of drained fat it catches will catch fire! Has happened to me once before, and I caught it right as it started. Burnt up the metal bowl, but I saved the pork.

I made "Tripel Chicken Chili" for the game on Sunday. Here's the recipe:

3 good-sized chicken breasts, cut up into bite-size pieces, sauteed in olive oil with 1/2 C. chopped onion and 1/4 C. minced garlic until browned

In a slow cooker, combine the following:

1 C. chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 can cantellini beans
1 can red kidney beans
1 tsp. minced onion
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. Worstershire sauce

Set cooker on high. Add chicken and 3/4 C. Belgian Tripel (homebrew, of course). Keep lid slightly ajar to release alcohol. Cook for 2 hours. Sprinkle with shredded white cheddar, serve piping hot.

Wow! That's awesome. What is the difference between the deluxe and the same one that is non-deluxe?

Crap. Copied wrong link. Mine is the standard, it was a good bit cheaper. No window in door, no light, no remote, not stainless, just matt black. Operates just the same & I don't need the bells & whistles.

Crap. Copied wrong link. Mine is the standard, it was a good bit cheaper. No window in door, no light, no remote, not stainless, just matt black. Operates just the same & I don't need the bells & whistles.

I agree a frigging window....but if i had splashed out on deluxe master built it has wheels! You need wheels well at least I do and im no small guy

I agree a frigging window....but if i had splashed out on deluxe master built it has wheels! You need wheels well at least I do and im no small guy

Mine has wheels. It is light enough to lift, but the wheels were a must.

I made avocado baked eggs. I learned a couple of things whilst making them, you really need to use the big avocados & buy the medium sized eggs. You'll still need to enlarge the cavity left after removing the pit, but you won't have to worry about too much egg spilling over. Also, this would be good with scrambled eggs with things like crumbled bacon & scallions mixed in. All I did was add a pinch of sweet basil, a dash of black pepper & a couple pinches of salt. With some pork sausages on the side & a brown ale, it wasn't fancy, but it was tasty.
Regards, GF.

avo1.jpg

avo2.jpg

avo3.jpg

I made avocado baked eggs. I learned a couple of things whilst making them, you really need to use the big avocados & buy the medium sized eggs. You'll still need to enlarge the cavity left after removing the pit, but you won't have to worry about too much egg spilling over. Also, this would be good with scrambled eggs with things like crumbled bacon & scallions mixed in. All I did was add a pinch of sweet basil, a dash of black pepper & a couple pinches of salt. With some pork sausages on the side & a brown ale, it wasn't fancy, but it was tasty.
Regards, GF.

Awesome!

Regards, GF.

That is SUPER cool. I have to try that.

I have a WSM. I can get at least 4 per grate without a rib rack by curling them and pushing a skewer through them. Works great. You could do the same with a kettle (I do this on a Performer, but no pics). I don't like the rib racks... seems like the meat gets caught on them and tears when I try to get the ribs out of the rack. Maybe my racks are just crappy. I've only done this with babybacks.

babyback-ribs-on-smoker-60783.jpg

I am going to have to try doing ribs this way. I am not a huge fan of the rib rack I bought. The ribs seem to want to fall out or misbehave.

That reminds me. I really need to give my WSM a good cleaning. Yours looks practically new. Mine is getting a little dirty. I always heard that a little buildup is a good thing though.

That is no joke! I have to keep an eye out on my water-bath in my smoker, as if it runs dry, the cup or two of drained fat it catches will catch fire! Has happened to me once before, and I caught it right as it started. Burnt up the metal bowl, but I saved the pork.

Wow, never had that happen. I did my first smoke with water in the water pan this past weekend. Never put anything in there and the fat just dripped, dried and singed with no flareups that I could tell. It is a real PITA to clean out the char and layer of thick pork fat paste though.

Regards, GF.

Why have I never heard of this? Those look freaking amazing. How do you keep the avocado from rusting while cooking?

Why have I never heard of this? Those look freaking amazing. How do you keep the avocado from rusting while cooking?

I used avocados that were still kind of hard, not sure if that made a difference or not, but it seemed logical that the softer, riper fruit might darken more during cooking. I didn't do anything other than put a small bowl of water in the oven while baking the fruit/eggs so they wouldn't dry out too much. Next time I make them I'll use the big avocados & they'll be more ripe; think I'll scramble the eggs and add bacon & scallions.
Regards, GF.

That reminds me. I really need to give my WSM a good cleaning. Yours looks practically new. Mine is getting a little dirty. I always heard that a little buildup is a good thing though.

It was almost new in that pic (new to me, anyway; I bought used). Not anymore :) I pressure-washed it a couple of weeks ago. I don't believe in that stuff about a dirty grilled is "seasoned" and somehow produces better food. I'm guessing the people who say that also think their cars are faster after they wax them.

It was almost new in that pic (new to me, anyway; I bought used). Not anymore :) I pressure-washed it a couple of weeks ago. I don't believe in that stuff about a dirty grilled is "seasoned" and somehow produces better food. I'm guessing the people who say that also think their cars are faster after they wax them.

I think part of it is about the grease coating insulating it some. And sealing gaps too like an all natural gasket.

Regards, GF.
I must make something like this sometime. Loveing the egg / avocado idea. The rest I have to make more veggy though for me, but that should be easy. Could even go with a great pumpkin chili served with tortilla chips (one of my favorites).

Oh and props for taking nice photos. I need to praise that more often on people.

Latest posts

Back