What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amish noodles, leftover roasted chicken, homemade chicken stock, butter/flour roux, carrots, celery, mild cheddar, and American cheeses. If the kids weren't eating it, I would have added sauteed mushrooms.

IMG_20151027_191958994.jpg

Those look so much better than the ones I had for lunch today (cafeteria spare ribs, I shoulda known right?). I need to get more practice with ribs. Especially with this new news that cured meats and barbecue and red meat are good for you and prevent cancer.

Beautiful ring too.

Thanks! Did these on my stick burner, about a 3 hour cook near 300 degrees. Cooked them with apple wood, wrapped them in foil with some apple cider vinegar around an hour and a half in to the cook. Let them go for and hour in the foil, pulled them out of the foil and gave them a coating of sauce. Pulled after half hour and light glaze of the sauce again. Super easy and they tasted pretty great.

I got pulled into cooking a small party Sunday so I used the keggle to make about 3 gallons of venison chili. It's a pain to keep the high pressure burner low enough to not scorch.
And as always, the batch of soft pretzels with malt extract in them was gone in under a half hour.
Everyone enjoyed so it was worth the effort :rockin:

Temptd2's Bread & Butter Pickled Jalapenos

2 pounds fresh jalapeno peppers
1 large onion
4 cups Splenda or other sweetener of your choice, equivalent to 4 cups sugar
2 cups white vinegar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon coarse un-iodized salt (sea salt or pickling salt)
2 teaspoons whole yellow mustard seeds
1 teaspoon whole celery seeds
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional but adds nice flavor)

Cut the tops off the peppers, then slice into rounds about 1/2" thick. Wear disposable latex gloves during this step - keeps you from rubbing capsaicin into your eyes by accident!

Cut off both ends of the onion, and peel. Cut onion in half at the equator, then cut each half in half again from top to bottom, then cut each quarter into slices from top to bottom so you have nice wedge-shaped pieces.

Add the vinegars to a 6 quart pot. Add sweetener and all the spices, stir well to distribute. Bring to a boil.

Add onion pieces to boiling liquid, stir well, then add all the pepper slices and stir again. Bring back to a boil, then cook about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, til the onions are translucent and the pepper slices turn from bright green to a dull green throughout.

If you're going to can this, follow proper water bath canning procedures.

If you're NOT going to can, let peppers cool to room temp, then store in a glass jar in the refrigerator. The turmeric will stain plastic so be aware of that when choosing stirring and storing utensils.

This is EXCELLENT alongside any grilled meats, ham, pork chops, whatever you like. Also great chopped up and added to tuna or chicken salad. Cooking the peppers mellows out most of the heat so you're left with a spicy pickle!

Makes about a quart of pickles.

NOTE: You might want to taste those jalapenos for heat before making this - if you don't like things too hot, seeding/deveining them first will remove most of the capsaicin and produce a nice mellow heat. SOME batches of jalapenos are MUCH hotter than others!

Just made a batch of these. Wow they are wicked good. I wish I would have made a biggger batch..... next year more.

Edit.... I used real sugar not that fake stuff.

Double faux pas- No pictures and cooked on a Thursday... triple if you count the flour tortillas.

Chorizo Tacos-

Chorizo decased and put in the Cuisinart sautéed with diced onion and pablano pepper
Homemade salsa verde- onions, garlic, tomatillos, jalapenos, cilantro and lime juice
Queso Blanco
Lime Wedges
White rice
Nopales roasted with lime juice and kosher salt
Flour tortillas

I was pretty happy with how it came out. Wife and s-I-l were too. SG loves him some nopales and rice believe it or not...

Middle son wanted biscuits & gravy with scrambled eggs this morning. He even helped with the cooking. I made the biscuits from scratch too. Then my youngest son helped carve jackO' lanterns & I cut boneless breasts into strips to bread & fry later. Got cupcakes, brownie s'mores going too from a recipe posted on my facebook page. Grease or spray the pan, than a layer of graham crackers. Pour brownie batter over that & top with regular size marshmallows. We used the ones that taste/smell like caramel cream.:rockin:
I also bought a big tray of pork neckbones yesterday. Want to make a sort of El Pastor, but with potatoes, carrots & celery, with the tomatoes, hot peppers, etc. Eat over rice like a stew.

Had a hankering for shrimp and grits, something I haven't had since my days in the Coast Guard in NC. Told Alice I wanted to make it for supper and she looked at me like I had three heads.

"Shrimp. And grits? I thought grits were some sort of breakfast mush?"

"Trust me. It's great. Assuming I make it right."

Maybe not original recipe but damned good.

One onion diced, one jalapeño pepper seeded and finely diced, one red onion diced and the bottom 2/3 of a bunch of green onions chopped.
Sweated in butter then added :
3-4 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, and 1/2 cup of white wine and the shrimp.

Grits were 1 cup course grits, 2 cups water, 1/2 cup milk, salt and pepper. Added 1 cup cheddar cheese when almost done.

The leftover cheese grits/polenta is cooling in a glass cake pan in the fridge. It will get some loving with butter and a griddle tomorrow.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1446341638.730657.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1446341664.765824.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1446341685.483989.jpg

Had a hankering for shrimp and grits, something I haven't had since my days in the Coast Guard in NC. Told Alice I wanted to make it for supper and she looked at me like I had three heads.

One onion diced, one jalapeño pepper seeded and finely diced, one red onion diced and the bottom 2/3 of a bunch of green onions chopped.
3-4 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, and 1/2 cup of white wine and the shrimp.

Grits were 1 cup course grits, 2 cups water, 1/2 cup milk, salt and pepper. Added 1 cup cheddar cheese when almost done.

The leftover cheese grits/polenta is cooling in a glass cake pan in the fridge. It will get some loving with butter and a griddle tomorrow.
View attachment 313153View attachment 313154View attachment 313155

Was Alice impressed?

Fantastic! I just love shrimp and grits!

Cut strips from a couple bags of boneless/skinless chicken breast & made a big platter of fried chicken strips. Then wife fried a bunch of wings with honey/lemon sauce. A whole table full of food with Cali onion dip, chips, candy, finger sammiches, tacitos,....:drunk:

Where on earth did you get the meat? I have no idea where to find porchetta around here, but your picture just looks awesome. I can't wait to see the finished product?

T

Most good butchers will carry pork belly, at least in my area they do. I've even seen them at Whole Foods as well. Traditionally, porchetta is belly wrapped around a pork loin, I wrapped the belly around pork butt instead.

I hope I can get a pic of the finished dish, but I've already started to drink, so no promises! ;)

Most good butchers will carry pork belly, at least in my area they do. I've even seen them at Whole Foods as well. Traditionally, porchetta is belly wrapped around a pork loin, I wrapped the belly around pork butt instead.

I hope I can get a pic of the finished dish, but I've already started to drink, so no promises! ;)

I was at the grocery butcher yesterday looking for pork back fat (usually free if you get there in the AM while they are trimming). They offered pork belly at $7.50/lb. Ouch.

I was at the grocery butcher yesterday looking for pork back fat (usually free if you get there in the AM while they are trimming). They offered pork belly at $7.50/lb. Ouch.

OUCH is right! :drunk:

Do you have any Asian or Latino markets nearby? You can often get belly there for a decent price. I get it at the local Mexican market for about $3/lb.

OUCH is right! :drunk:

Do you have any Asian or Latino markets nearby? You can often get belly there for a decent price. I get it at the local Mexican market for about $3/lb.

Latino? Lots. But there's a place locally (Felice's Pork Store) that is my goto for all meat related stuff. Anything called a "Pork Store" is going to be good :) It's an italian place.

Rolled up ten sheets of basic nori-on-the-outside sushi on Saturday. No raw fish because it's hard to find anything you can trust here in landlocked China, and some of my staples (smoked salmon, for example) were out as well. My favorite was probably the "breakfast roll" - egg, bacon, lacto-fermented hot sauce. Yeah, my sushi's not exactly traditional...

Rolled up ten sheets of basic nori-on-the-outside sushi on Saturday. No raw fish because it's hard to find anything you can trust here in landlocked China, and some of my staples (smoked salmon, for example) were out as well. My favorite was probably the "breakfast roll" - egg, bacon, lacto-fermented hot sauce. Yeah, my sushi's not exactly traditional...

Sounds delish.

Pretty simple but very tasty. The little ones love it.

Chicken brined in 6%salt/6%brown sugar mix overnight.

Potatoes and Yams roast in the chicken drippings and some duck fat to give them a little extra deliciousness.

No plating picture (so it never happened and we ate it directly off the red hot spit):D

thumb_DSC04241_1024.jpg

thumb_DSC04313_1024.jpg

thumb_DSC04314_1024.jpg

thumb_DSC04320_1024.jpg

Last edited:
Back