What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chile verde ingredients...

20151108_115506-1.jpg

You guys are killin' it today! I went to see the new Bond flick, so instead of cooking, I'm grabbing some pizza and subs. (Plus a little Chinese from the grocery store steam table that didn't look too old).

Making up dinner as I go along, I have an abundance of kale in the garden, blanched it and wrapping up a mixture on ground pork, quinoa, onion, garlic and spices. View attachment 314695View attachment 314696

I wish I would have found this thread 3 months ago. I had plenty of kale didn't know what to do with it tons of Swiss chard - that we didn't eat... these look really good

Attachments

• 1447019058701.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 80
You are unreal cooks I'm inspired. I'm just sitting around eating smoked pork butt on day old buns with mayonnaise mustard and Sri Racha. I have an electric smoker and use it damn near every weekend. Like how I brew I don't make a big trip out of it and usually only rub with 2 tablespoons brown sugar 1 tablespoon salt so the kids will eat it. But since I'm in the store getting the meat anyways why not grab some stuff for a mop. I smoke with hickory and cherry mixed and I would swear by it I would like to try oak and cherry

View attachment 1447019555575.jpg

I wish I would have found this thread 3 months ago. I had plenty of kale didn't know what to do with it tons of Swiss chard - that we didn't eat... these look really good

Kale uses, dredged from this thread.

Zuppa Tuscana Soup. It's the greatest soup ever (after chili). Italian Sausage, cream, kale, potatoes. Homercidal here makes it a lot. Me too, but I'm in the Sunshine (freaking hot all the time) State, so soup isn't the best thing.

_mg_7463-61387.jpg

Colcannon, aka Irish Mashed Potatoes . You'll never want plain mashed pots again. Make sure to use lots of butter :)

_mg_8147-62523.jpg

Pumpkin ravioli! I meant to make this with my Halloween pumpkin, but the bugs got to it first. So, the grocery was selling these little pumpkins for 99¢, I got two of them. Stuff was awesome. No sugar added, so don't think sweet. Think pumkin squash and herbs and rich rich creamy deliciousness.

Stuffing has sauteed pumpkin in loads of butter, cream, sage, thyme, then pureed in food processor. Sauce is just cream and butter, sage, and nutmeg. I added some red/yellow food coloring for effect :) Sheeted pasta with my Kitchenaid pasta attachment.

_mg_1153-66351.jpg

_mg_1159-66352.jpg

_mg_1165-66353.jpg

_mg_1171-66355.jpg

_mg_1169-66354.jpg

_mg_1174-66356.jpg

_mg_1182-66357.jpg

Pumpkin ravioli! I meant to make this with my Halloween pumpkin, but the bugs got to it first. So, the grocery was selling these little pumpkins for 99¢, I got two of them. Stuff was awesome. No sugar added, so don't think sweet. Think pumkin squash and herbs and rich rich creamy deliciousness.

Stuffing has sauteed pumpkin in loads of butter, cream, sage, thyme, then pureed in food processor. Sauce is just cream and butter, sage, and nutmeg. I added some red/yellow food coloring for effect :) Sheeted pasta with my Kitchenaid pasta attachment.

_mg_1153-66351.jpg

_mg_1159-66352.jpg

_mg_1165-66353.jpg

_mg_1171-66355.jpg

_mg_1169-66354.jpg

_mg_1174-66356.jpg

_mg_1182-66357.jpg

Wow! Game on?!

Bacon-wrapped jalapenos and some ribs. I lose man points for using an oven. I still need to get a smoker.

View attachment 314705View attachment 314706

My smoker rusted out and gave up the ghost years ago, but I've had great luck just doing ribs and briskets on my Weber kettle grill. Granted its the bigger Weber, and I can just barely get two racks of ribs on it, but even on my smaller one I could do a single rack of ribs. I bent a scrap of aluminum sheet to create a makeshift way to isolate the fire on one side of the grill as shown in the above pictures.

Food looks great, but the noodle drying rack is just freaking awesome! I love my kitchen aid noodle attachment, BTW :) :mug:

I'm glad colcannon was brought up. Now that we are finally getting some cooler weather, Steak and Guinness Pie, Irish Stew, and Colcannon have been entering the food conversations at home quite frequently! I'm ready, as I have said before, to get into winter cooking again!! :ban:

blend it and make a veggie shake. add a banana or some fruit to make it taste better. i add some yogurt for probiotics. its really good for you. all that fiber cleans you out good too.

Colcannon was on my list to make a while back. Thanks for reminding me!

There's always way too many good goods in this thread.

Last night the wife made a Pork Roast in teh crock pot with onions and carrots. She made mashed potatoes and my daughter made green Bean Casserole. I made white acorn squash (not as good as regular IMO).

All in all it was a lovely meal.

Today is leftovers for work. Southwest Chicken Chowder over white rice.

My kids not so lucky but at least you inspired me to cook....bechamel with pan seared ......hot dog :) all beef oscar myer at least.

Last night I made Pheasant stir fry with Fried rice and a Thai peanut sauce. The birds were harvested on Saturday.

I used my ulu knife to get the breast and thigh meat.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447080401.583616.jpg

Marinated in soy sauce, garlic and a bit of sweet chili sauce for about an hour.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447080454.038586.jpg

Next I made the fried rice. Onions, peppers and garlic were fried in an electric wok for a minute, pre boiled and dried rice was added along with peas, an egg and some soy sauce.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447080706.431518.jpg

Put that on a serving plate when it was done.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447080820.957401.jpg

Next I added the pheasant to the wok, once that had a sear on it, added some frozen veggies, cabbage and the sauce.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447081047.238321.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447081063.194094.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447081074.868777.jpg

I don't have a recipe for the sauce and cook by taste. But it's basically peanut butter, sweet chili sauce, teriyaki stir fry sauce, some soy sauce and sriracha.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447081019.622741.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447081110.785326.jpg

Egg rolls were store bought, but good... I don't like to mess with making those unless I'm doing a bunch for freezing etc.

Anyway, good way to prepare pheasant, especially if someone is on the fence about trying it.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447081175.133562.jpg

amazing pumpkin ravioli

Culinary artistry there pawn. Just amazing stuff and beautiful documentation of the process.

I've been wanting to make some pasta with our Kitchenaid for some time.

Seeing this masterful creation of yours and watching a recent Netflix show interviewing Michelin Star chefs (Episode one is about a Chef in Modena and shows lots of great pasta making) has really got me excited to try it.

Once again, the already stratospheric-bar in this thread gets kicked ever higher. Hats off.

Culinary artistry there pawn. Just amazing stuff and beautiful documentation of the process.

I've been wanting to make some pasta with our Kitchenaid for some time.

Seeing this masterful creation of yours and watching a recent Netflix show interviewing Michelin Star chefs (Episode one is about a Chef in Modena and shows lots of great pasta making) has really got me excited to try it.

Once again, the already stratospheric-bar in this thread gets kicked ever higher. Hats off.

Here's a fantastic article on pasta I was reading this weekend. I was debating on using semolina flour or GP or a mix (I used straight GP).

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/best-easy-all-purpose-fresh-pasta-dough-recipe-instructions.html

love the Ulu knife.

What a great post. Fantastic pics and mad skills. Must be extra satisfying preparing food you hunted yourself. I can only imagine how that feels.

Looks delicious.

I do too... Since it's a single bevel, it's amazing for skinning and boning. Just slide the flat edge along the meat for skinning, along the bone to get your cut of meat.

Really, this is one of those Midwest style 'dump a bunch of **** in a pot/wok until it tastes good.'

I've made this stuff a million times and the ease of using all the store bought ingredients really makes it a simple dish to prepare.

Nothing like what passedpawn has going on up there haha. But yes, rewarding feeling to prepare something you've hunted yourself.

Must be extra satisfying preparing food you hunted yourself. I can only imagine how that feels.

Hoping to get a deer this year. I started skipping the price tag from the butcher and do it myself now. Saves a few hundred dollars and I can cut the meat however I want.

Back