What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We found a 9 pound pork shoulder on sale for half off for $1.79/lb. Even at full prices, that's a decent price. We cut the meat off the bone, then made 5 pounds of breakfast sausage. We packaged about 2 pounds of ground pork and saved the bones for stock.

Then the wife made pumpkin/butternut soup for dinner on Sunday.

All of this without pictures :-(

So I had a real hunger for hamburgers. Naturally I then made some. I then did as I always like to do: Scratch it cause this is the first time you are doing this for some reason.

Result? A patty based on black beans and portabello mushrooms (the umami content is impressive for veggy) and a homemade bun on which I screwed up the rise timing. Considering both are first tries it turned out glorious though.

On top of that another first with paprika and rosemary oven chips (fries you call them).

All in all lovely and there will be more! Next time the patties will see worcestershire, the bun a hint of rye and a lot more rising, and the fries some extra fresh garlic.

Burger.jpg

Had fish sticks from Mrs.Paul and vegan "crab" cakes from Whole Foods, but I did make tartar and cocktail sauces and homemade southern style slaw. No pics, because it wasn't all that beautiful...but it was good!

Did a proper Hungarian Goulash last weekend. Started with onions & bacon sauteed in lard, added beef cubes and browned. Then added chicken broth, a bottle of red wine, spices - lots of garlic and paprika. Then added carrots, tomatoes and red peppers and finally added potatoes. Took about 4 hours total after we got the fire going. Used a 20 liter pan and fed a small army of friends.

PD220032.jpg

PD220036.jpg

PD220038.jpg

PD220041.jpg

PD220044.jpg

Did a proper Hungarian Goulash last weekend. Started with onions & bacon sauteed in lard, added beef cubes and browned. Then added chicken broth, a bottle of red wine, spices - lots of garlic and paprika. Then added carrots, tomatoes and red peppers and finally added potatoes. Took about 4 hours total after we got the fire going. Used a 20 liter pan and fed a small army of friends.

Never had it. I want it. NOW!

Absolutely delicios looking.

My Hungarian FIL used beef stew meat floured up & browned with tater chunks to make his goulash (keep thinking Hungarian is goulyas?). The rollatini makes me think of a veggie & cheese stuffed polatsinci (sp?), thin pancakes stuffed with a custard containing cottage cheese, known to them as a sweet curd. Hungarian's call it polacinta. Goulash is popular in slovakia as gulasova polievka.

If you're making sausage (let's say andouille) and one of them bursts during stuffing, no worries. Quick toss a bun in the toaster oven, put the ground meat in a fry pan with some sweet peppers, and a little mustard makes the diversion you were looking for. Tonights dinner!

_mg_1103-66338.jpg

_mg_1107-66340.jpg

_mg_1109-66341.jpg

If you're making sausage (let's say andouille) and one of them bursts during stuffing, no worries. Quick toss a bun in the toaster oven, put the ground meat in a fry pan with some sweet peppers, and a little mustard makes the diversion you were looking for. Tonights dinner!

_mg_1103-66338.jpg

_mg_1107-66340.jpg

_mg_1109-66341.jpg

Sometimes you must suffer for art:p

You never cease to amaze me! Well done Andrew!

I think the only way to appropriately describe the sensation elicited by these images would be

latest

Docking you points for less than Michelin-star-grade plating and your laissez-faire use of mustard:D

haha. You got me there. But I really did have one burst and in the middle of stuffing , so I slapped that sammich together without much fuss. I'll make it up later with pics of some other stuff I made last night.

BTW, they were the best hog casings I've ever used, by far. I got them fresh from a local sausage maker. I stuffed 5+ pounds of ground pork into one single casing, with some length to spare. The one that burst was my fault, not the casing. I'll be smoking them tonight.

Made more black bean and portabello mushrrom burgers. This time I added blue cheese, cause I thought it can´t just be for beef burgers. It isn´t. Oh my this really adds a dimension. Should not have been so caucious! Also Edammer cheese seems to be greater than Cheddar for my burgers. So good.

We had panseared marinated lamb sirloins, roasted Gold Nugget squash with buttah, and those really thin little asparagus spears steamed, with some mayonnaise and truffle salt on them too. Smack-a-lip good stuff.

I wish I had a reason to cook. I like it too much not to be doing it more.

Tonight, I had a granola bar for dinner. Yay.

We had panseared marinated lamb sirloins, roasted Gold Nugget squash with buttah, and those really thin little asparagus spears steamed, with some mayonnaise and truffle salt on them too. Smack-a-lip good stuff.

I don't even know what a Gold Nugget squash is! But I love baby asparagus, though I have learned that Costco's big mature asparagus is every bit as good. Normal stores no. But something about Costco's asparagus is amazing!

I don't even know what a Gold Nugget squash is! But I love baby asparagus, though I have learned that Costco's big mature asparagus is every bit as good. Normal stores no. But something about Costco's asparagus is amazing!

The label on the one I had said "gold nugget" not "golden nugget" but either way - they're sweet-fleshed, hard winter squash about the size of a softball or a little bigger. Boy they're good!

GoldenNuggetSquash_03.jpg

No time to cook. Went out to a BBQ place for brisket and a Short's Spacerocks IPA. I was surprised to find out that the Spacerocks is Gluten Free. Amazing!

My stomach still hurt, though. Too much Brisket!

I mixed some of that andouille sausage with some of my endless supply of feta cheese, then into some halved red peppers, sprinkled with basil and grilled. Plated with seasoned yellow rice and broccoli florets. No plated pics, but here's one of before and after grilling.

_mg_1101-66344.jpg

_mg_1111-66342.jpg

Awesome. Banana peppers are a good one to stuff when you want a little extra warmth.

Monday and Tuesday will be in the low to mid 50's here. Plan to grill another 10 pounds of chicken leg quarters and all the ribs that in the freezer.

May be the last of the days to sit on the deck, without cold weather gear, enjoying a few beers watching the smoke drift away from the grill.

Closing the loop on the andouille sausage I've been using lately: smoked it last night. Went great, chilled when done, had for lunch today with spicey yellow rice / black beans / onions, with a bit of sweet hot mustard. It's a fairly spicey sausage with a TON of flavor. I used the smoked andouille recipe from Charcuterie.

_mg_1089-66336.jpg

_mg_1121-66346.jpg

_mg_11321-66348.jpg

Closing the loop on the andouille sausage I've been using lately: smoked it last night. Went great, chilled when done, had for lunch today with spicey yellow rice / black beans / onions, with a bit of sweet hot mustard. It's a fairly spicey sausage with a TON of flavor. I used the smoked andouille recipe from Charcuterie.

That's on my list of recipes to try from that book.

_mg_1089-66336.jpg

_mg_1121-66346.jpg

_mg_11321-66348.jpg

I just finished lunch and suddenly I'm hungry again.

Back