What craft beer do you secretly despise?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an Anchor Steam beer over the weekend and it was lousy....tasted like an old gym sock stuffed inside a smelly sneaker and it got worse as it sat in the glass.
Don't tell anyone though as it's a secret!

This is my first year on the SN Celebration train. I love it. If my bottle stockpile is accurate, I've had 48 of them since Feb 1st. Whoa. Good thing I'm about to start spending way less on beer.

I don't like anything I've had from Magic Hat, and seeing the posts about their business dealings here, I won't be trying any more.

I don't hide the fact I hate Three Floyds Zombie dust.
Guess I am not alone as I have seen 6 packs on the bottom shelf getting dusty at the liquor store.
Munster, IN is a 3 hour drive and I have no intentions to making a pilgrimage for any of there brews. I would rather go to SunKing in Indy.

I don't hide the fact I hate Three Floyds Zombie dust.
Guess I am not alone as I have seen 6 packs on the bottom shelf getting dusty at the liquor store.
Munster, IN is a 3 hour drive and I have no intentions to making a pilgrimage for any of there brews. I would rather go to SunKing in Indy.

I really don't care for Sun King. Do they ever package more than the 3 year-round ales?

Christmas beers are the WORST. I just dodge them altogether. I have also quite successfully avoided pumpkin beer.

Use to be anything from Empyrean Brewing. I actually hadn't had anything from them in 15 years or so when they were much smaller. Back then every time I tried anything they made I end up with a migraine even if it was less than a full beer. I think they have improved their brewing technique because I did have a Third Stone from them and no headache although the beer was unimpressive. Brown water with a hint of smoke. Seemed to lack any depth.

Christmas beers are the WORST. I just dodge them altogether. I have also quite successfully avoided pumpkin beer.

I dont know if the Stone 12.12.12 vertical epic is totally considered Christmas ale (although Im pretty sure it is), but its one of the Christmas ales I do really enjoy. But I will back you up on the pumpkin ales. IMO theyre like the pumpkin spice lattes of the brewing world. I feel too much like a basic b***h when I drink them hahaha :D:drunk:

In defense of ABInbev, they do employ a lot of people who rely on that job for income.

That may be but you missing the whole reason to hate large corps like them. They take mom and pop businesses and run them out so you are left with little choice in where you work or who you purchase products from. They also drive down prices until mom and pops ore gone and then are able to screw over the consumer. Just remember that mom and pop businesses employ people also and usually you will be treated like a person instead of a number. Most businesses that are small and fall into specialty catagories (like brewing) have a vested interest in the advancement of said employees.
If there was no inbev think of how many more brewers we would have to choose from. And be ready for more consolidation and loss of your favorite brews to the devil. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/craft...n-as-americans-drink-less-beer-132101300.html

You guys are all too picky. Aside from MillerCoors/inBev crap, I've never had a Craft Beer that I absolutely despised with the exception of a single Gose I had on tap once that tasted like Bile. I don't recall who made the Gose, but I now know this particular one was brewed incorrectly as that is considered an off-flavour coming from improper souring techniques. I've since had several Gose's that are quite good.

The only other beers I didn't like or couldn't finish were either examples that were spoiled or skunked, which is just improper storage in most cases. Obviously some beers are certainly better than others and everyone has their right to their favorites, but I'm not a fan of grilling a single beer as being undrinkable or terrible for such reasons, and I've drank a lot of beer over the years, dozens of examples of every style at this point (Part-Time Alcoholic In-Progress).

Part time..... you are not trying hard enough! :drunk:

that makes me wonder if the Voodoo Doughnut was actually carbonated with my pickled egg gas. pickled eggs is the only thing my wife has ever banned me from anything to do with. and for good reason. I had to leave the bathroom in the middle of my shower once because of pickled eggs.

I have never had a pickled egg and after reading that I am pretty sure that every time I see them some where I will have a vision of your picture where you have red stuff all over the front of you with no shirt on and gag a little. :cross:

Agree with the Magic Hat dislike. Never understood what the hype was all about.

Never even heard of them. They sound like a$$hats so I guess if I ever do see anything from them I will avoid it.

Overall I think they have the most "hate" votes so far.

Trinity Brewing gets my vote. Took 3rd in a local list of breweries and proceeded to call the local drinkers stupid with no taste and they are going to leave for Denver. Also sent back medals from a contest and in general has been an arrogant pain to deal with from any standpoint. So with that I despise any beer from Trinity Brewing.

That's the most hipster thing I've read so far in this entire thread.

Meh. Hype leads to increased expectations, so you go out of your way to acquire it and get all giddy when you actually have the product in hand, and in the end it's just another beer. Hipsters create hype. Sane people resist it.

Meh. Hype leads to increased expectations, so you go out of your way to acquire it and get all giddy when you actually have the product in hand, and in the end it's just another beer. Hipsters create hype. Sane people resist it.

And hating something for no other reason than it's popular is one of the most defining characteristics of hipster culture.

Just because something is hyped doesn't automatically make it bad. Doesn't make it good either. But avoiding something because it's exceptionally popular is just silly.

I just did a little reading about magic hat and it looks like they are not even American owned any more . Even better they are owned by a company called "Florida Ice & Farm" from Costa Rica.... wtf who is deciving who? And if I make a high abv beer and call it "Sixty9" are they going to sue me because it is 6.9% ... whatever, you can be sure after reading this I won't be buying anything from them on principal alone. Reminds me of apple suing because the corners of a phone were rounded. Like I said a$$hats.

West Sixth IPA. I love the IPA style and I've rarely found one that I thought was bad. With that noted, I cannot stand to swallow West Sixth IPA. It tastes and smells of pure cat urine to me. I'll try it again next year. West Sixth is a relatively new brewery and I imagine they will adjust the recipe in time.

Everything pumpkin tastes terrible to me, including beer.

I also disliked the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale I tried the other night. First time I've poured out a beer in a couple years.

It's funny, I've seen at least one person on this thread say "yuengling, if that counts as craft beer," and someone on another thread about crap beers that we secretly enjoy say "yuengling, if that counts as crap beer."

Just finished off a SN Celebration sixer last weekend. It was good but now that its been mention, it did taste somewhat different. I enjoyed it but it didn't quite have the flavor of previous years.

I feel like the nostalgia of Winter and Christmas keeps more loyal to the same beers for the season. Other seasonals I am more likely to sample different breweries offerings. Winter beers I stick to my traditional lineup even if some have faded in quality over the years.

I would have to recommend some cellaring time for the DFH 90 & especially the 120

Also for Pumking. I had a bottle of last year's batch sit in my fridge for a year and even some of my brew club buddies who hated the 2013 said the age worked miracles on it

That may be but you missing the whole reason to hate large corps like them. They take mom and pop businesses and run them out so you are left with little choice in where you work or who you purchase products from. They also drive down prices until mom and pops ore gone and then are able to screw over the consumer. Just remember that mom and pop businesses employ people also and usually you will be treated like a person instead of a number. Most businesses that are small and fall into specialty catagories (like brewing) have a vested interest in the advancement of said employees.
If there was no inbev think of how many more brewers we would have to choose from. And be ready for more consolidation and loss of your favorite brews to the devil. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/craft...n-as-americans-drink-less-beer-132101300.html

I think you are being unrealistic. Consumption of Bud Light is about 2.2x that of all "craft beer". I prefer craft beer, and it is on the rise, while domestics are on the decline, but I think you are making a lot of generalizations that are untrue or unproven. They are obviously not "driving down the price". They're really not even selling the same product, for the most part (excepting, maybe, Goose Island & such)--it's like apples vs. oranges.

Just finished off a SN Celebration sixer last weekend. It was good but now that its been mention, it did taste somewhat different. I enjoyed it but it didn't quite have the flavor of previous years.

I feel like the nostalgia of Winter and Christmas keeps more loyal to the same beers for the season. Other seasonals I am more likely to sample different breweries offerings. Winter beers I stick to my traditional lineup even if some have faded in quality over the years.

I think they are wet-hopping now (says "fresh-hopped" on the label or some such)--I liked it better when it was dry-hopped. Probably at least 2-3 years ago.

I am going to just go with beers from brewery's that I have been to been to, because I am apparently a lush(and a hater).
1.Rouge, I hate everyone of their beers. All of them!
2.Stone, your beer gardens are pretty but your food is over priced and crap. And your beers are awful, I hate them.
3.Eylsian, what is it with making thin hop delivery juice? If Portland wasn't so beer crazy you would be out of business. I hate you, your pub and all of your fedora wearing clientele.

I know taste is subjective. If I bashed one of your favorites you should just get better taste.:D

I don't really despise anything, but the overwhelming majority of commercial craft beer falls into the "once is enough" category for me.

My favorite styles are beers like marzen, helles, Dortmunder, maibock, kolsch, alt, English bitters, Bohemian pilsner, etc. It's hard enough as it is to find examples of these beers brewed by American craft brewers, and on the rare occasion that I do find one I am almost always very disappointed. Take Dortmunder Gold; the beer is technically very well brewed, but for my taste it's way too hoppy, has too much caramel sweetness, and not enough actual maltiness or depth of malt flavor compared to a beer like Ayinger Jahrhundert. Actually, those three complaints (too hoppy, too sweet, not enough true depth of malt flavor) are how I feel about most American craft beers.

Hence homebrewing.

Also for Pumking. I had a bottle of last year's batch sit in my fridge for a year and even some of my brew club buddies who hated the 2013 said the age worked miracles on it

This is interesting - had a guy in our club, when I brewed my first ever punkin, say, "just drink it up over the holidays as fruit/vegetable beers don't age well." Not sure if he was dealing with fact, myth, or truth, but I have always had it in the back of my mind that you don't want them sitting around.

This is interesting - had a guy in our club, when I brewed my first ever punkin, say, "just drink it up over the holidays as fruit/vegetable beers don't age well." Not sure if he was dealing with fact, myth, or truth, but I have always had it in the back of my mind that you don't want them sitting around.

I would agree with a normal-sized fruit beer, but Pumking is more an imperial and I think benefits from the aging.

Heady Topper.

I am surprised, since this is all the rage among the Neo-hippy/hipster crowd.

I simply want to get my hands on one to check out what all the hype is about. I just dont want to drive 2 hours to VT to get one!

I think they are wet-hopping now (says "fresh-hopped" on the label or some such)--I liked it better when it was dry-hopped. Probably at least 2-3 years ago.

I think you're right, and I do like wet hop beers (such as their harvest IPA) but I did like celebration more when it was just a fresh hop-dry hop IPA

Anything from Saranac, bad.
Anything from Smartmouth brewing (smaller brewery in VA).
Just about all pumpkin beers, nasty.

Back