What craft beer do you secretly despise?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and what the hell is cloying anyway? I've heard this word 100's of times and I don't have a clue of what it describes. Are there dictionaries here on the interwebs?

From Merriam Webster: Cloy - to surfeit with an excess usually of something originally pleasing

From Merriam Webster: Surfeit - an amount that is too much or more than you need

Basically it means that people think it tastes sweet to the point that is not pleasant.

Whatever you do...DO NOT GOOGLE IMAGE SEARCH THE WORD CLOY FOR FUN!

From Merriam Webster: Cloy - to surfeit with an excess usually of something originally pleasing

From Merriam Webster: Surfeit - an amount that is too much or more than you need

Basically it means that people think it tastes sweet to the point that is not pleasant.

Whatever you do...DO NOT GOOGLE IMAGE SEARCH THE WORD CLOY FOR FUN!

Damn it! Should have listened to you...

Don't make my mistake! Don't google image search that word!

Brewers should stop using the word cloying when what they mean is too sweet. It perpetuates the image of home brewers being beer snobs.

I secretly despise craft beers that are cloying.

Where are you from soccerdad? Not trying to be funny, but what rock have you been under. Interweb? Does it have dictionarys?

Dark Lord. But it's not a secret hate, I'm pretty verbal about it.

I've tried 2012, 2013, and 2014 and unless the versions prior to that were phenomenally better then I don't get what people like about that beer. I'm convinced the high ratings are simply a case of the Emperor's new clothes syndrome.

Damn it! Should have listened to you...

Don't make my mistake! Don't google image search that word!

If that bothered you then there's a wholllllle lot of the internet you probably want to avoid. :D

I think this is an accurate characterization of beer advocate, ratebeer, etc. as a whole.

Yeah for a lot of them people tend to follow the pack, this one just really stuck out to me where some of the others I think are still decent beers - just maybe overrated in general.

There have been a few beers on here that i think is great. There are a lot of beer posers that secretly drink Natural Light in private. But in front of others tough out craft.

There have been a few beers on here that i think is great. There are a lot of beer posers that secretly drink Natural Light in private. But in front of others tough out craft.

I proudly drink PBR & Genny Cream ale.
The funny part is my friends look down at me for drinking weird & smelly craft beers, but also look down at me for drinking Genny!

I cant win

to all the men in this thread that aren't me: grow yer balls back. to all ladies in this thread: harden the flocc up.

pffft. pterodactyls. I take a barrel of gasoline, add a gallon of cyanide, and use three industrial battery's acid, condense it down to a pint, carbonate and drink it. all you sissies with you "personal taste" crap.

I'll have a quart of that.

Ok, just got a new one at a party Saturday night. Someone brought a 6 pack of Shipyard Brewing GingerBreadHead. It was disgusting. We went around having people try it just to see the looks on their faces. That is a never again beer.

Fat Tire if that counts as craft beer. Upfront it tastes good. The finish is terrible to me. The best I can describe it as is a "metallic twang".

Ill probably take some crap for this, though Im sure its been said before... I dont get the hype around Pliny the Elder. IMO its good, not great. When I have the opportunity I do buy a bottle or two, but I dont make as big of a push to find/buy it anymore as I did before I tried it for the first time. I just think theres other DIPA's out there that are way better and dont get as much hype. I am still looking for the Younger, so we'll see how that one is someday.

/.02$

Just to note
Inbev plans on total in cost cuts of $1,000,000,000 by the end of 2016 or the equivalent of about 40,000 $15 to $20 an hour jobs. Or about 32,000 $25 an hour jobs.

That would be due to the proliferation of all these mom and pop craft breweries that are springing up all over and taking a bite out of their market share.
:mug:

That would be due to the proliferation of all these mom and pop craft breweries that are springing up all over and taking a bite out of their market share.
:mug:

Just wish I could enjoy more of them.

And thus leads to inbev's new policy of "if you can't beat them join them" and the purchase of 10 barrel with more to come I'm sure.

No secret. DFH 120. Most over rated/priced beer on the market. I can't stand the taste of it. Aged or new. It's amazing what hype can do.

No secret. DFH 120. Most over rated/priced beer on the market. I can't stand the taste of it. Aged or new. It's amazing what hype can do.

I always thought of that more as a "novelty beer" than a legitimately good beer. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either for me... it did get me drunk in short order.

Rogue's Voodoo line... I hunted these down for a while and when I finally got my hands on the Voodoo Donut it was the most terrible thing I've ever tasted.

Rogue's Voodoo line... I hunted these down for a while and when I finally got my hands on the Voodoo Donut it was the most terrible thing I've ever tasted.

Novelty beers. My buddy got one of the maple bacon whatever's once. It was like drinking fizzy syrup. I'm with you on this one :mug:

I'll take "Beers I hate because I can't get" for $500.

Pliny is cheap. Russian River has no marketing department. The hype comes from beer drinkers, not the brewer.

They also don't brew in volume. Considering they sell all the pliny they make I would say they don't need a marketing department. Good beers sell themselves.

So I brewed the other day and my friend who helps me always tries to bring beer that I've never had. This time he brought Flying Dog Snake Bite and Hop Slayer.

Both are equally as bad. Terrible, just terrible. We had one of each and well, I haven't been able to drink an IPA since.

I'd have to go with Heady Topper. Over hyped and just keeping it hard to get to spur sales. The beer equivalent of East Coast Yeast.

I've only tried a few Abita beers but did not like either. The IPA that I had was especially nasty in my opinion.

Abita Purple Haze is one of the nastiest beers I have tried in a long time.

The Florida Beer Company makes something called Swamp Ape. Seems a fitting name. Ewww......

Oh, and Golden Monkey from Victory. I like a LOT of brews from Victory, but this one is just, I don't know. All my friends think I'm nuts. They love it.

I have taken the brewery tour of Lakefront in Milwaukee a few times (highly recommended), and while I am enamoured with many of their beers -- Fixed Gear ranking among my favorites -- their Wheat Monkey that they had on tap smelled like rotten farts and tasted like burnt rubber. Not sure what was going on, as all the other beers were great, but that basically has ensured that I will NEVER pay for that beer, ever. (Or even drink it if it's offered free).

I'd have to go with Heady Topper. Over hyped and just keeping it hard to get to spur sales. The beer equivalent of East Coast Yeast.

I like heady topper quite a lot, but I do agree that the whole not distributing out of state and only making tiny amounts is a backwards business practice. The demand is there for entire New England distribution and still keep their elusive hard to get reputation.

Now, my secretly despised beer is wheats/ wits/ bad saisons (good saisons not included). They all have this awful weird taste that just doesn't sit right with me.

Second entry for me, but we had another brew from another major English brewer that took over most despised designation from Samuel Smith Organic Chocolate Stout.

I have Wells Bombardier in my brew queue. Yet another English Bitter by Wells was so despicable that it was classically pessimistic. The bottle was half empty on the table when we left Ingleside Village Pizza: Wells Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale.

Hmm, we love Bombardier. Hmm, SWMBO made a sticky toffee pudding for Christmas desert. It was yummy. SWMBO's current favorite brew is a take on another classic Christmas desert: Bush de Noel (AKA Scaldis Noel), also in my brew queue. SWMBO was expecting reasonable competition for current favorite consideration. SWMBO was dismally disappointed. Shame on you Wells for making SWMBO so unhappy.

session IPAs--THERE IS NO SUCH THING!!!!!!!!!

also, founders "all day IPA"--if you like drinking cat pee, this one is for you. ;)

Shipyard pumkinhead/melonhead/applehead/gingerbread head, these aren't really beers though, more like malt beverages. I believe it's all the same base beer with different nasty syrups added

Then there is the shipyard xxxx ipa. Really hard to drink. I tasted a sip of a buddys while I was drinking SN torpedo and the difference was night and day.

Than there's the smashed pumpkin/blueberry beers they make. Same nasty artificial flavor you love from the originals, now with amped up harsh alcohol notes. Yum.

I don't secretly despise thought, for that I'd have to say founders KBS.

With the exception of their Hemp Rye, which is at least okay, I've started avoiding anything by O'Fallon. There are too many better beers in the area and theirs always seem to underwhelm in comparison.

I haven't been very impressed with any of the Excel Brewing Co. beers I have tried either.

Goose Island bottles have gone downhill since the InBev takeover too. It's still pretty good at the brewpubs in Chicago. On tap elsewhere in the Midwest is more hit-and-miss now.

Rock Bridge Smoked Brown. I like supporting local breweries and I like some of their other beers, but I have never tried a smoke beer that tasted quite this much like a glass of Liquid Smoke. 4 Hands Smoked Pigasus does a better job in this category.

I'm not a big fan of most lagers that I've had but have had some that are pretty good. IPAs are one of my favorite styles but at the same time I wish some brewery's would start doing less of them as I feel like every time something new comes out seems to be another IPA.

Back