What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Water Nerds (I assume we have some in here). Ideal water profile for a hoppy (IPA) beer?

I am starting with 100% RO and the additions I am proposing, with my current grain bill, get me to this, what do you think?

Mash pH (room temp): 5.44
Ca - 53
Mg - 6
Na - 9
Sulfate - 155

On the topic of water, and this thread, I am drinking water with my (yucky) healthy lunch.

Water Nerds (I assume we have some in here). Ideal water profile for a hoppy (IPA) beer?

I am starting with 100% RO and the additions I am proposing, with my current grain bill, get me to this, what do you think?

Mash pH (room temp): 5.44
Ca - 53
Mg - 6
Na - 9
Sulfate - 155

On the topic of water, and this thread, I am drinking water with my (yucky) healthy lunch.

What about chloride? According to EZ Water Calulator, a chloride to sulfate ratio of 0.77 or less will enhance bitterness, but further, higher sulfate concentrations will increase the perceived hoppiness. So I would shoot for a sulfate concentration of around 250 - 300 ppm and a chloride concentration that makes the chloride to sulfate ratio 0.77 or less, though I imagine (but don't know for sure) that having this ratio too low would cause the bitterness to be too harsh. I'd say 0.5 - 0.6 would be a good target chloride to sulfate ratio.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't notice that you said the pH was the mash pH. The relevant content has been deleted.

What about chloride? According to EZ Water Calulator, a chloride to sulfate ratio of 0.77 or less will enhance bitterness, but further, higher sulfate concentrations will increase the perceived hoppiness. So I would shoot for a sulfate concentration of around 250 - 300 ppm and a chloride concentration that makes the chloride to sulfate ratio 0.77 or less, though I imagine (but don't know for sure) that having this ratio too low would cause the bitterness to be too harsh. I'd say 0.5 - 0.6 would be a good target chloride to sulfate ratio.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't notice that you said the pH was the mash pH. The relevant content has been deleted.

I adjusted after reading the article on the first page of HBT today.

Now I am getting:

Calc - 84
Mg - 25
Sodium - 18
Cl - 96
Suf - 177 (ratio of .54)

Mash pH is still at 5.44

Drinking water.

Just found out I'm screwed with this starter I was about to make. It's WL090 and the Best Before Date is 4/19. That means it was fresh approx Dec. 19 and has about 45% viability give or take. From the Mr Malty website it's about a 3.5 L starter to grow the yeast enough for a 1.070 beer. That would be fine, I have a 5L flask and an extra burner I could use. The only problem is I only have about 150 g DME. The HB store is forever from here... 40 Min one way.

The only thing I know to do is to get some Malta Goya and use that. That means if I combine the DME, Water and 6 Malta 12 oz beverages. Also learned the Malta Goya is carbonated. Good times! Guess I am off to the store. Ugh. Friggin brew store ramble ramble.

shitcreek.gif

Drinking water.

Just found out I'm screwed with this starter I was about to make. It's WL090 and the Best Before Date is 4/19. That means it was fresh approx Dec. 19 and has about 45% viability give or take. From the Mr Malty website it's about a 3.5 L starter to grow the yeast enough for a 1.070 beer. That would be fine, I have a 5L flask and an extra burner I could use. The only problem is I only have about 150 g DME. The HB store is forever from here... 40 Min one way.

The only thing I know to do is to get some Malta Goya and use that. That means if I combine the DME, Water and 6 Malta 12 oz beverages. Also learned the Malta Goya is carbonated. Good times! Guess I am off to the store. Ugh. Friggin brew store ramble ramble.

I thank god that I drive right past the LHBS on my way home from work.

We should start a support group for this sickness.

I can't stop either. Too much. Not sure how I will ever drink it all.

I can help anyone that needs help drinking their beer. Still have never tried anyone else's hb. If you need a deserving place to dispose of your beer, send it my way.

Drinking water.

I wouldn't worry about it. I had some expired yeast that yeastcalc.co said had 0% viability. 2 L starter went fine and fermented a 1.082 beer down to 1.008 with no trouble. I would just make a 2 L starter with your ~5.25 oz of DME and call it good.

We should start a support group for this sickness.

I can't stop either. Too much. Not sure how I will ever drink it all.

Water. While finishing my Belgian beer order.

I will manage to drink it all eventually. Pretty excited that FFF decided to make a Belgian DIPA. One of those is going to be my first victim once the work day is done and I don't have to worry about getting called into a plant.

Sharing is caring, incoming PM with my address.:p

How about you just fly out to ND and we can raid the cellar?

I can help anyone that needs help drinking their beer. Still have never tried anyone else's hb. If you need a deserving place to dispose of your beer, send it my way.

I haven't brewed in several months. Too much other stuff going on and it has been super cold.

I will manage to drink it all eventually. Pretty excited that FFF decided to make a Belgian DIPA. One of those is going to be my first victim once the work day is done and I don't have to worry about getting called into a plant.

If I didn't have to remain relatively sober most of the time, I wouldn't have a problem either...I think.

:D

Jesus.

starvation.gif

Shoveled some more with some 'Hag in-tow. Finishing this can while watching idiots in Kentucky who have been stuck on the highway for the last 14 hours. How the hell is that even possible? It's not like they got hit with a foot of snow.

OK, ancillary questions to my water profile - I am adding Baking Soda to my mash to add sodium, which requires me to up my lactic acid a little. The question is, does sodium add anything desirable to the water profile in an IPA, or should I just leave the sodium at zero and save some lactic acid?

Drinking water.

You make all grain beers right? Why not just make a starter wort with a 2-row mash and if you fall short, raise the gravity with the DME? Has to be better than malta goya at least.

Have been at work for almost 7 hours now. Has been a pretty quiet day. Hopefully I can get home without incident, I havent looked outside to see how streets are though. On a plus side, I took a visit to the soda machine to spend a dollar on a can of coke. Upon getting it, on a whim I checked the coin return and it had 75 cents in it. My day is looking up.

Brew day.

I like both actually. Can you pinpoint what you do not like about them?

Coffee. Had a couple more beers yesterday than I thought I would.

Woke up on Monday to ants surrounding a half full glass of soda pop. That is a first, the ants, not the half full glass of anything. Usually means I passed out on the couch and just got up and went to bed. Wednesday I found some around the dog bowl and my pantry, which really pissed me off. I pay for a service but the water/ice/rain we're dealing with is likely pushing these critters inside for refuge. Guy was here at 8:15 am this morning to spray. Trying to avoid inside treatment because of my fermenters...that is really the only concern I have.
/ramble

Very watery mouth feel and I got no vanilla at all just a **** beer imo!

" CALIFORNIA: Santa Rosa's Russian River Brewing is famous for its 11% imperial IPA Pliny the Younger. The brewery calls it a triple IPA because it's hopped three times."

I lol'd.

Back