What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks- how do you cold steep your grains, ive never heard of that, the speciality grains for the oatmeal stout will be 2lbs oatmeal, .5 roasted barley, .5 chocolate, and .5 cystal 80.

the final 3rd mash would be 22.5 lbs- the imperial IPA is just 2- row, munich, and victory, maybe i should keep a couple lbs of pale on hand or some extra DME just in case

thanks for the help.

Just put the specialty grains in a mesh sack (like you get in the brewing kits for partial grain), put them in a pot and cover with water (a gallon should be more than enough for what you have.) Let it sit 24 hours, lift and drain the sack and pour it into your brew pot. Just be sure to account for the volume in your calculations (and also account for grain absorption.) I always have DME on hand in case I fall short of my gravity and this would definitely be a time to have a few pounds of it handy :)

Just put the specialty grains in a mesh sack (like you get in the brewing kits for partial grain), put them in a pot and cover with water (a gallon should be more than enough for what you have.) Let it sit 24 hours, lift and drain the sack and pour it into your brew pot. Just be sure to account for the volume in your calculations (and also account for grain absorption.) I always have DME on hand in case I fall short of my gravity and this would definitely be a time to have a few pounds of it handy :)

awesome thanks man.

Do you cold steep all your specialty grains or just for a oatmeal stout?

awesome thanks man.

Do you cold steep all your specialty grains or just for a oatmeal stout?

I've been moving in that direction. I just did it with my pumpkin porter and the astringency is notably lower than last year (when I added them to mash at sparge) which was much lower than the prior year when I mashed with them. I would probably keep them in the mash (at least some) for a big RIS where you want more of that astringency, but for smaller dark beers I'll be cold steeping from now on.

Thanks! It's still a bit messed up speech-wise, but definitely getting better. It can take a couple months to fully heal up. Couldn't stand it anymore!...:mug:

Havin a gose with a grilled cheese sammie,

IMG_4665.jpg

Borderline Sour from Higher Ground.

Picking-up a weird flavor in this, almost almond-like on the finish.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412098282.767167.jpg

Best IPA I've ever brewed. **** smells like Sea Hag.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412102729.542018.jpg

Mosaic/Columbus/Cascade with some WY Trappist strain. Will definitely be making this again in the future.

Outta ice, don't get paid till retiree payday tomorrow & need to get more beer in the fridge for the weekend. Have to order beer ingredients too so I can do the next article I promised Texbrew I'd do. forgot last time, my bad y'all.

Looks killer. Is the grain bill typical IPA stuff, or did you throw in any Belgian grain?

German Pils, Belgian Carapils, German wheat and some corn sugar.

My shop doesn't carry Belgian pils or wheat, so I had no other options but to go with German. I can send you my recipe if you're interested.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412114157.547919.jpg
DFH Sixty-one.

Wasn't crazy about this beer when I last tried it. Enjoying it tonight though. This bottle is about one and a half years old and it's better than I remember it fresh.

This is my clone of Lagunitas' Lil Sumpin Sumpin... Very good, if I do say so myself (& I do)!ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412117683.259135.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

More of this Borderland Sour. Tastes like apple cider.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412117807.410875.jpg

Back