What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rye'd Piper. I'll have to go back and get more of this.

image-3532740954.jpg

DisturbdChemist said:
Had some sculpin, live oak liberation, hb black ipa, and sour cider. Its been another rough day. Not talking about work

I can relate to the rough day at work. After 12 hours of staring at ladder logic, I get to do it all over again tomorrow, and the next day, and the next, and the next...

Fuzzymittenbrewing said:
Really good brewery, they have several new things coming up.

Yes, liked most of their stuff that I tasted. I also got some Bean Flicker, Oh Me So Hoppy To Wheat You, and Citra Wheat Ale.

I can relate to the rough day at work. After 12 hours of staring at ladder logic, I get to do it all over again tomorrow, and the next day, and the next, and the next...

I wasnt talking about work. Work was fine today. Just a lot of crap going on.

Bet there aren't many people in Louisiana that are enjoying Pliny and Sculpin in the same night

I have yet to see the sculpin cans yet

DisturbdChemist said:
Thanks man. Its alright. No worries. Just dont know im complaining on here. I usually do not do that. Just a lot on my mind. Hope you job gets better like a lot of people here

Eh, my job will be better in a few months or so. Once this furnace is installed. Gotta finish the control system though. Lots of bugs.

Hitting the sack. I hate leaving The Godfather in mid-movie, but I have the box set. Now I will have to have a marathon!

Imperial awesomeness red. . . just kicked the keg :(

Fortunately, I have another 5 gal in glass, and a Hef ready to go online for the weekend : )

More Torpedo. I'm going to bed peeps! I have to be up at 7:00 for the DHS inspection, then driving to get my nephews (1 1/2 hours, each way), then have a nap for work at 1:00 Wednesday morning. It's gonna be an extremely long day...

Had a shift from hell at work on top of having to come back for next in about 7 hours. As a nightcap I smashed a lager from Sudwerks (local German bewery), tank 7 and capped off with a last sculpin all interspersed with some shots of Jameson. Cheers

ForumRunner_20130812_230231.png

More Torpedo. I'm going to bed peeps! I have to be up at 7:00 for the DHS inspection, then driving to get my nephews (1 1/2 hours, each way), then have a nap for work at 1:00 Wednesday morning. It's gonna be an extremely long day...

and here I been whining about getting up at 3 & 3:30 for my job. way to make me feel like an ass, jerry!:eek:

how's yer head this morning eandersen? I hope you got well hydrated yesterday!

coffee & water on the side.

Coffee. It time to go to work. Then I get to bottle my hefe, and transfer my Oktoberfest. I just sterilized a bunch of jars to harvest the yeasty beasties as well. Is this enough? I like to have extras in case I need them. I ended up with 6 full jars of 2308 after my bock, and I'm expecting no less from my Oktoberfest.

ForumRunner_20130813_061050.jpg

Coffee. It time to go to work. Then I get to bottle my hefe, and transfer my Oktoberfest. I just sterilized a bunch of jars to harvest the yeasty beasties as well. Is this enough? I like to have extras in case I need them. I ended up with 6 full jars of 2308 after my bock, and I'm expecting no less from my Oktoberfest.

My question to you, or other people that wash yeast. Why?

Isn't it easier/more beneficial to build up a larger starter and take your smaller cleaner sample of healthy fresh unstresed yeast right from the starter before pitching? I mean the yeast is a whole generation younger prior to pitch, and a whole lot less stressed.

Also what do you need with 6 jars of the same yeast when 1 young jar will provide you with as many fresh generations as you will ever need?

I'm not getting on your case I just don't understand why so many people practice yeast washing in the way that they do. Trying to figure it out.

My question to you, or other people that wash yeast. Why?

Isn't it easier/more beneficial to build up a larger starter and take your smaller cleaner sample of healthy fresh unstresed yeast right from the starter before pitching? I mean the yeast is a whole generation younger prior to pitch, and a whole lot less stressed.

Also what do you need with 6 jars of the same yeast when 1 young jar will provide you with as many fresh generations as you will ever need?

I'm not getting on your case I just don't understand why so many people practice yeast washing in the way that they do. Trying to figure it out.

Usually I think its to save money as well as build a yeast bank. 6 Jars i think is over kill but when I washed yeast a couple of times i got about 2 jars. They are usually not too stress and usually ready to go to another round of fighting. That is what the pro's do. They move the yeast cake to fermenter to fermenter up to 10X (generations) or when its starting to mutate. I believe its more of a money saver or to trade yeast with a friend

Coffee. Before I get in my big brown truck to deliver a bunch of boxes to the public. I have a couple homebrewers on my route.

And a lot of QVC Queens.

Usually I think its to save money as well as build a yeast bank. 6 Jars i think is over kill but when I washed yeast a couple of times i got about 2 jars. They are usually not too stress and usually ready to go to another round of fighting. That is what the pro's do. They move the yeast cake to fermenter to fermenter up to 10X (generations) or when its starting to mutate. I believe its more of a money saver or to trade yeast with a friend

I understand monetary reasoning. But what I'm asking is why would you use yeast that has been through a full fermentation with adjuncts and hops etc. When you can save a small sample right from your starter? Which is actually what a lot of pros do too, to keep their strains alive and healthy. Sure many of them pour out the trub, and transfer onto the cake, but it's not for saving money it's for fast turn around and not having to clean their fermentors fully or having to build up a starter large enough to pitch,

They are keeping a young yeast alive and viable by slanting, as well as by keeping generations 0-1 healthy by saving it prior to pitch.

In my research I've seen cell wall degradation and increased mutation in less than 3 generations of average gravity fermentation and as little as 2 with high gravity.

I keep a huge yeast bank at my house but none of it is washed yeast, it's all young fresh samples pulled from the starter prior to pitch.

I'll open it outside. :D

Bastard. If I could unlike your post, I would.

But it also seems logical that you'd get a lot less yeast saving parts of each starter &/or spending extra $$ to make huge starters for more time to get enough yeast propogated to have extra to save. Not to mention pitch a healthy amount of yeast into the current batch.
While I see your reasoning,washing just seems more cost effective. The yeast properly stored in the fridge will degrade over time,regardless of being washed or from a starter.

But it also seems logical that you'd get a lot less yeast saving parts of each starter &/or spending extra $$ to make huge starters for more time to get enough yeast propogated to have extra to save. Not to mention pitch a healthy amount of yeast into the current batch.
While I see your reasoning,washing just seems more cost effective. The yeast properly stored in the fridge will degrade over time,regardless of being washed or from a starter.

You do get a lot less volume (but it doesn't take much), but the only extra, is time and a little dme to build it up to a viable pitch as well as a saved sample.

I also slant/plate my yeast for long term storage.

I guess I understand where you are coming from but if you are already not buying the yeast, what is an extra ounce or 2 of DME? And an extra day running the stirplate? To ensure you have young healthier yeast that will last much longer in the fridge.

I'm done beating the dead horse, but I wouldn't mind hearing more opinions on this.

Yeast is my job, maybe having a full lab including an autoclave, and fancy microscopes has jaded me on the subject.

that is a "clean room" approach to saving yeast compared to what we average brewers do. Good to here your side just the same. If for nothing else,to give different experiences &/or schools of thought. So don't think of it as "beating a dead horse" because they're always seems to be more than one way to get to the same place...gotta get some more coffee.

Channel66 said:
Remmy that saison yeast, caution contents under pressure, open slowly I'm not responsible for you blowing yeast all over the place

Oh and fook the Yankees

+1 haha if I wasn't on mobile and I could like your post I would!

Billy-Klubb said:
and here I been whining about getting up at 3 & 3:30 for my job. way to make me feel like an ass, jerry!:eek:

how's yer head this morning eandersen? I hope you got well hydrated yesterday!

coffee & water on the side.

Bah! If I had to get up at 3:00 every morning, I'd complain too. On a good note, my train got moved to 10:30 tomorrow morning, so I get to stay up all day, woohoo! I think I need to take a management job, so I'm home all the time...

Drinking a big ole' industrial sized cup of coffee right now.

Latest posts

Back