What are you doing instead of brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Headed up to Richmond, BC for the Canadian Mensa gathering. I don't see any breweries near the hotel, but there's a dozen or so in the area. On the other hand, it is Canada and it's a large hotel, so I expect there will be a fine selection of local brews in the bar.

Last weekend, I took the remaining 2013 blackberries out of the freezer and gave them to a fellow homebrewer in Hillsboro. He has a computerized kettle/mashtun he built from scratch, which not only monitors temperatures and auto-stirs; it texts him when each step is done.

Leaving tomorrow for a fishing (beer drinking) vacation in far northern Wisconsin, Ill damn near be in the UP. But I am bringing a few kegs of homebrew!

Spending a weekend at Lake Cumberland with friends...aka day-drinking and boating followed by more drinking, grilling and playing cards.

Should be a perfect weekend for it. :rockin:

Heading to Chicago for my nephew's birthday and the air show. I hope to hit Half Acre and bring home some Pipeworks brews.

I've got a Plumber & Electrician coming Friday to get water & power to
my basement brewery

Then i am going to seal the floor with some Poly this weekend - slowing getting the brewery done

Maybe go see the Woodward Dream Cruise after = More classic cars than you can shake a stick at

S

Rebuilding my broken 30' cruising catamaran.

IMG_20150808_172333a.jpg

Server migrations all weekend and then come Monday, no appreciation for seamlessly bringing my client into the modern computer era... not bitter at all...

Going to do some fly fishing on the Boise River and hopefully getting 18 holes in. Really hoping the smoke from all the fires in the area doesn't creep in to town...

Bottling three batches of wine (Dandelion, wild grape, and cranberry-grape), as well as building a new support system for my grape vines.

Bringing this beauty home...and loading it with all my friends worldly possessions. He is moving it back to Huntsville to put it in storage so I can put his house up here on the market. He still got the better end of the bargain but he did fund the value of a rental moving truck and fuel as part of my purchase...which lead me to buy earlier than planned.

Babe the disreputable blue Ox of a mid 1990's C2500 has proven that real trucks do not have to be huge or expensive to still do work.

It will tow our LeMons race van and serve as crew sleeping quarters at the track after pulling moving duty. Generator, AC, heat, etc will be added this winter from random crap I have lying around.

IMG_20150813_090553.jpg

Converting an old extract recipe to all-grain, and adjusting to the ingredients I have on hand. A robust porter with vanilla beans and cacao nibs. Still have a couple bottles from a 2 year old batch. Brew day will probably be Tuesday.

Shot more video yesterday while working on a template for a rear bumper cover bracket for my lil tuner. Gotta edit raw footage later.

Went fishing yesterday with my best friend from Ill. out around Orient Point and Montauk Point. Caught about 20-30 Black Sea Bass (kept 14, our limit), a 2.5 foot sand shark, 2 skates, a 10-12 pound bluefish, let him go (not a big bluefish fan), three fluke (one keeper) and a big porgie (scup), oh yeah and a sea robin. Drank Founders All Day IPA. Very good and only 4.7%.
Seafood fest tonight! :rockin:

I've got my "Send-Off" luau themed wedding party this Saturday. We're doing a pig roast with a number of tropical sides and 4 homebrews on tap for 50 friends and family members before we fly to Hawaii next weekend for the actual ceremony/honeymoon.

The beers on tap:

New England Style IPA
Honey Mango Blonde
Belgian Wit with sweet orange peel and heather tips
Brett Raspberry Saison

I'm guessing they're all going to kick.

Hunk, those pictures make me cringe. I hope you got a settlement. Tell me about the cat. She's ply over web frames and stringers? What design? Did you build her? My boat is strip planked.

Hunk, those pictures make me cringe. I hope you got a settlement. Tell me about the cat. She's ply over web frames and stringers? What design? Did you build her? My boat is strip planked.

apologies for the off topic? but what the heck - here we go:

Yep, I built it in 1993 and '94 with a buddy. Didn't finish it, but launched it to get our foot in the door in a small boat king crab fishery. Plan was after the season to pull it and finish it out.

The settlement was a joke. The barge company (big west coast co. - made their money off Vietnam war) said since no one is selling catamarans in Nome there's no market value (marine law states that you can be compensated by whatever is lower: market value or repair cost). The repair cost was estimated at $33k. They offered the price of a 16' hobie cat. So we hired a lawyer and after two years of paying lawyer fees we settled for repair cost. Half that went to the lawyer (a friend - not a bad guy) and some went to pay off friends that loaned us some money. The rest I bought out my buddy since he didn't feel he knew enough about repairing the boat.

It is a Kurt Hughes design using cylinder mold - thin luan mahogany sheets laminated and as you observed, with stringers and bulkheads. He also does foam designs. http://multihulldesigns.com/ It does have a bit of strip planking using duracore in the shoulders.

Got any web presence of your boat I could check out? cheers, JD

Sorry about the damage and the hassle.
Pretty cool that you built her. I've never built any that were too big to carry.
My boat is Wandering Star, a 39' ketch built in '68 in Florida. She is big sister to the schooner Aries, designed in Massachusetts, built in '62. The design was old school even then, people always think she's older. There are pics of her on the WoodenBoat Forum, I think. There was a youtube of her, taken onboard a couple of years back. I think it was titled Wandering Star at 8 knots or something. I could talk about her all day. PM me if you like, I'll email you some pics, or any other info you wish.

Well, I did brew yesterday, but I'm spending pretty much the rest of the weekend through Monday at the Detroit Jazz Festival. It's the biggest free jazz festival in the world and draws some amazing talent and big names. Pat Metheny is the artist-in-residence this year and he's playing one set each day. Also, my alma mater, Oakland University (in Oakland county MI) is playing a 2-hour set today that I'm pretty excited about.

I'll be drinking some beer, but there is no time for brewing any.

Do to UPS driver error, I gotta wait till tuesday to get my 25lbs+ of brewing stuff. So I put together the video I got an idea for last year. I had to take my youngest son outy to take pics with a fancy camera for his photog/cinematography class. I call it " The Driver's Eye"...first in a series of I'm bored & wanna do something/go somewhere vids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to Barley Brown's last night for the lady's birthday. We just bought a new house so everything is still in shambles...going to make a pricey Home Depot run today to buy a new fridge and dishwasher and all the yard stuff I now need...good thing we are headed for winter!

johnmac - I'd hit up some yard sales & flea markets for some of those tools. Save money and get some quality tools if you know what to look for. I don't mean lawnmowers & snowblowers, but rakes, shovels, hedge-clippers, that sort of thing.

:)

This weekend, I am dog-sitting yet again for my brew-bro. He needs to get his @$$ in gear and start brewing, as we decided in March to start doing this together and I am the only one that's made beer yet - 7th batch fermenting as I type.

:(

johnmac - I'd hit up some yard sales & flea markets for some of those tools. Save money and get some quality tools if you know what to look for. I don't mean lawnmowers & snowblowers, but rakes, shovels, hedge-clippers, that sort of thing.

:)

Sadly, I wish thats what I was looking for...its more the cleaning supplies, garbage bags for the lawn, new sprinklers, light bulbs, fertilizer....odds and ends stuff that needs to be replaced. I could do without some of the stuff but it drives me crazy! haha!

This weekend and for quite a few more, I am travelling around the country(USA) in a motorhome studying about home brewing so that when I return home, I can brew my first batch. We're currently in southern Oregon (Rogue River) and soon will be heading towards Bend, where we plan to stop and have a fresh squeeze IPA and mayhaps a few other Deshutes samples. We're continueing east roughily via the old Oregon trail until we reach the east coast, then heading south to Florida and back west thru the gulf states. While this is not strictly a brewery tour, we will try to check out a few local breweries along the way when we find them. If anyone has a favorite along the path I mentioned, give a shout and we'll see if it fits our plans.

This weekend and for quite a few more, I am travelling around the country(USA) in a motorhome studying about home brewing so that when I return home, I can brew my first batch. We're currently in southern Oregon (Rogue River) and soon will be heading towards Bend, where we plan to stop and have a fresh squeeze IPA and mayhaps a few other Deshutes samples. We're continueing east roughily via the old Oregon trail until we reach the east coast, then heading south to Florida and back west thru the gulf states. While this is not strictly a brewery tour, we will try to check out a few local breweries along the way when we find them. If anyone has a favorite along the path I mentioned, give a shout and we'll see if it fits our plans.

Stop by Boneyard and Crux while in Bend!

Back