How to really screw up your brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose in theory one could go "quasi commando", but the down-side of failure would be a clogged membrane that cannot be salvaged. Even a single rudimentary pleated or wound cartridge filter would protect the membrane as cheap insurance...

Cheers!

So hypothetically, if one already had a whole house water filtration system with a sediment filter and two carbon filters, you could run your tap water straight to an RO membrane?
Yes, and the sediment and carbon stages are generally purposed with preserving the longevity of the membrane. The $100 complete kit price I'm talking about probably can't be beat with ala carte parts though and it even includes extra filters. In addition to a membrane, you need an auto-shut off valve and pressure regulator and those all come with the kits.

Surely there's got to be something in between. My friends and family all like my beers. One or two of them have even said that one or two of my beers were as good as any they've had at one of the better local craft breweries (note - I didn't agree). I have no desire to ever enter a competition, much less to go toe to toe with any mammoths. But I'm always trying to make things a little bit better whenever and however I think I can, within reason. And I do own a pH meter.
Of course. I think with the entire quote taken in context, it's clear that I'm suggesting beer quality is on a very wide continuum and the most important part is if the brewer is getting what they want out of it. If I ever push back against complacency (I often do), it's because I've improved my beer many times over the past couple decades, often after declaring that my beer was finally "great" or "good enough" and now I just know better to never say either again with such confidence.

My wife got by accident her makeup in the pot of wort right before pouring it into the fermenter. Anyway, he decanted and added yeast, but the beer went bad and ended up in the drain. My wife was left without make-up, and I was left without a batch of beer.

The $100 complete kit price I'm talking about probably can't be beat with ala carte parts though and it even includes extra filters. In addition to a membrane, you need an auto-shut off valve and pressure regulator and those all come with the kits.
OK... I thought you were speaking more hypothetically. Now it sounds this is a specific kit. Do you have a link or something?

A few years ago, at one of our local breweries, someone actually did that. There was no stopping it, whatever they tried. The whole fermenter emptied, 50+ (?) barrels down the floor drain.

The biggest problem was the void in distribution of their flagship beer...
I came close to making this mistake once.

I use this solution on "below waterline" fittings:
https://www.brewershardware.com/tri-clover-compatible-clamp-nut-safety-dipped
"If it has a red clamp nut, think carefully before loosening it" is my motto.

(edited for clarity)

Last edited:
So hypothetically, if one already had a whole house water filtration system with a sediment filter and two carbon filters, you could run your tap water straight to an RO membrane?
Maybe....

Check to make sure that the sediment filter is 5 micron or tighter (this is very tight for a whole house application), and your sediment filter and carbon filters are a good match for the flow (gallons per minute) you're pushing through them.

For example, I see over and over home brewers pushing 5 gpm+ through a carbon filter intended for less than 1 gpm.

Dechlorination in a whole house application (which I'm typically not a fan of) is usually most economical to do with a backwashing carbon tank, rather than carbon cartridges.
carbon tanks.png

Check to make sure that the sediment filter is 5 micron or tighter (this is very tight for a whole house application), and your sediment filter and carbon filters are a good match for the flow (gallons per minute) you're pushing through them.
Thanks. The whole house system I'm looking at is rated for 12 gpm, but the sediment filter included is only 10 micron.

10 micron is pretty tight for a whole house filter. Those are typically 20 to 50 micron - unless we're talking about city water or some other water with very limited sediment. You'll want 5 micron or smaller before any RO membrane.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back