What ale strains are good for fermenting at 58-59 degrees ambient room?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StonesBally

Reaction score
The thread title pretty much says it all. I am looking for some good ale strains that can ferment at ambient 58-59 degrees. After feeling the effects of winter on my new house, I can see that the basement does not stay as warm as my previous residence. I just want to make sure that I choose a strain that will attenuate well and not go dormant at 58-59 degrees ambient. Anyone have any suggestions? I plan on doing a pale ale at roughly 1.051 and an American stout at roughly 1.075. Thanks in advance for any advice or input.

WLP810 although a lager yeast It has ale characteristics:
"This yeast is used to produce the "California Common" style beer. A unique lager strain which has the ability to ferment up to 65 degrees while retaining lager characteristics. Can also be fermented down to 50 degrees for production of marzens, pilsners and other style lagers."

I have a batch fermenting now with it, my first use of it and so far doing well!

Hope this helps,
Robert

You're in good shape for pretty much most ale strains. Cooler is always better than warmer. If you need a few extra degrees then wrap a light blanket around your fermenter; if you need more than a few then wrap a heavy blanket. You're in good shape for pretty much any ale strain. Have fun and experiment!!

Remember, your beer with be at least 2F above ambient unless you use a swamp cooler / water bath, so you're looking at MINIMUM 60-61 degrees during fermentation. With a light blanket you can sit pretty well at 64ish, and a heavy blanket will get you up to 68 probably.

Nottingham ferments better in the cooler temps than most ale yeast. It'll handle the 55-60*F temps that can cause others to drop out and go nighty-night.

Pacman loves that temp range, and is an absolute champion if you can find some.

stpug said:
you're in good shape for pretty much most ale strains. Cooler is always better than warmer. If you need a few extra degrees then wrap a light blanket around your fermenter; if you need more than a few then wrap a heavy blanket. You're in good shape for pretty much any ale strain. Have fun and experiment!!

Remember, your beer with be at least 2f above ambient unless you use a swamp cooler / water bath, so you're looking at minimum 60-61 degrees during fermentation. With a light blanket you can sit pretty well at 64ish, and a heavy blanket will get you up to 68 probably.

+1

US-05 or Nottingham

Exactly...my basement is 59 consistently in the winter and both of these finish so clean and floc well at this temp. I try to do as many brews as I can over the next few months just because I need no temp control...I do wrap higher ABV brews in a blanket around day 3 to get the temp to ramp up, if even just a little bit.

I'll add my vote for Notti. As clean as US-05/1056 but better flocculation and it attenuates well even at 55-60.

Nottingham ferments better in the cooler temps than most ale yeast. It'll handle the 55-60*F temps that can cause others to drop out and go nighty-night.

In my English brown ales Nottingham at or just below 60 gives a clean very controlled fermentation.

After 4-5 weeks I wind up with 6 gallons of almost crystal clear ale sitting on a very firm and compact layer of trub.

Go anywhere in the mid to upper 60's or 70 and be sure to install a blow off tube.;)

bosco

Back