Lalbrew East Coast + High Attenuation + Hop Creep?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sicktght311

Reaction score
Still trying to figure out if this was hop creep or not, as i've always been under the assumption that hop creep is more of an issue towards the end of fermentation.

Background - First time brewing with Lallemand East Coast ale IPA Yeast. My brew day went normally, all temps hit, gravity properly hit, and put into the SS Brewtech conical glycol controlled at 68 degrees for fermentation. I ended up with a very over attenuated beer (1.007-1.008) before i even did my final dryhop (DDH). Hit final gravity within 5 days, which is normal for my NEIPA brew process, but this being significantly more dry than i would expect out of S04 or something similar. I've heard its potential Hop Creep, but its my first time experiencing it this bad, first time with this yeast, and almost 90% attenuation out of the Yeast

Brew Day - Brewed a 1.060 Neipa recipe (one i've done plenty of times before with S04, or other NEIPA yeasts). Mash temp was 154, 3v electric herms system with temps verified with thermopen to match what the pids read. 155 degrees at the exit of the HLT herms coil, 153 at the exit of the bottom of the mash tun. Recipe is roughly 60% Pilsner Malt, 20% Oat Malt, 10% Flaked Oats, 10% White Wheat

Fermentation - Pitched 2 packs of Lallemand East Coast dry (not rehydrated) at pitching temp, fermentation activity started within 24 hours. First dryhop was a charge of about 4oz of Simcoe and Zamba on day 3 when fermentation was at its most active. Popped them in and immediately the blow off went wild. Lots of foam up and out of my blow off cane into my sanitizer jar, calmed down within an hour or so. I track my gravities daily via Tilt, and i went from 1.060 on day 1 (24hours post pitch), to 1.040 on day 2, and then 1.015 on day 3, the day after dryhop. By day 5 i was at 1.008 where it stayed for the next couple days. I then soft crashed to 55 degrees, pitched my last dry hop of 6oz of combo Simcoe and Zamba, then crashed the next day and kegged by day 8. Sample tastes good albeit slightly dryer than i wanted, final gravity is confirmed with a hydrometer.

Final Thoughts and Questions - So i understand that most of what i read about Hop Creep typically speaks to dryhopping later in fermentation, which breaks down the unfermentable sugars into fermentable, causes a second wave of fermentation, which can then cause Diacetyl since you're kegging before the yeast has time to clean up. I didnt detect any diacetyl when i kegged this, since i soft crashed my 2nd dryhop and didnt detect any further fermentation. However if this is Hop Creep, this basically means that any high krausen dryhop runs the risk of significantly drying the beer out with certain yeasts? I've brewed a ton of NEIPAs with S04 as its my go to house yeast for english ales and IPAs, and i've never had an issue with Hop Creep or finishing gravities 1-3 gravity points out of expectation

anyone have any feedback on your experience?

This might be an equipment calibration issue.

I know my Tilt is off by up to 4 or 5 points. If your OG was actually not 1.060 but rather 1.055, an attenuation of 85% would not be unheard of.

And when is the last time you calibrated your mash thermometer in both ice water (32 F) and boiling water (less than or equal to 212 F depending on your elevation above sea level)? Thermometers are often off by 2-3 degrees. Maybe you actually mashed at 151 F, possibly even lower into the 140s.

It's likely a combination of factors such as these, more than it is anything to do with the yeast or hop creep.

And if none of that is correct.... you might have contamination by wild yeast.

I take gravity readings the old fashioned way as well with a calibrated hydrometer. Confirmed the readings

All of the electric system has been calibrated as well +\-1 degree across multiple thermometers

Back