Wedding Keezer Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poletrain

Reaction score
https://imgur.com/gallery/dPvJqwV

What do you guys think?

I’m a mechanical engineer and use Creo Parametric for design at work. I get married in November and will be serving homebrew and I’ll be building a keezer to serve out of. It’s a BYO venue and vendors bring their own draft system, so I’m just doing the same thing really. I bought a 14.8 cu. ft. Frigidaire on Black Friday from Home Depot. Due to various living arrangements at the moment (future in-laws’ basement and garage is currently full), I can’t start building yet and will have to wait until Spring/Summer. So I decided to just model it instead! I took my work laptop home to do the modeling. This is better because I would have wasted so much material figuring out the joints because this is my first time doing any sort of advanced carpentry project so this allowed me to change some concepts around.

I’m going to have 4 beers on tap all night, and the 5th will be a rotating tap for every hour or hour and a half. Once we recoup funds after it’s all said and done, I’ll expand to 7 or 9 taps, but 5 for now because of initial cost.

I used mostly these 2 for inspiration:

https://imgur.com/r/woodworking/GgZwx

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/copycat-keezer.292945/

The exact materials are unknown. It will be some type of rustic look. Somewhere kind of between the 2 pasted above. Same with the bar top and back splash. Not sure which direction I’m going to go with that yet. I probably won’t decide on that until the stain and type of wood for everywhere else is chosen and just match to that. This is going to be a furniture piece in whatever house we end up in after the wedding so I didn’t want to go too far in one direction or another. We like rustic, but not too much and still like traditional, so I have to kind of guess how this will match our house in the future.

The floor will be 2x6 and the frame work will be 2x4. The lid will be a 3/4” ply sheet bolted through the freezer lid and everything mounted to that.

The collar at the moment doesn’t serve much of a purpose, it’s more just there in case I need it since there’s no lateral way to enter the freezer, only through the lid. I plan to leave the back open.

Not sure how I’m going to deal with the hinges when opening without compromising any aesthetics as they are now.

There will be 2 PC fans aiming into and out of the coffin.

The manikin is 6 feet by the way.

As for what will be served, it’s going to be:

My Bitter Half Pale Ale
All Dressed in Wit Belgian Wit (or Cold Feet Wheat, I prefer the former, she prefers the latter)
To the Dark Side of the Moon and Back Irish Stout on nitro
Ale Rise for the Bride Brown Ale

Rotating:

Apple of my Eye Hard Cider
Hoppy Wife Hoppy Life Double NEIPA
For Richer or for Porter Pumpkin Porter
Russian Down the Aisle Russian Imperial Stout

I'll update here when I actually start building.

Looks like a classic coffin-top collared keezer. Can't go wrong with that with good insulation and cooling and it seems you have that covered.
Consider hinging the coffin at the back for ease of build/maintenance.
And you don't need the fifth caster...

Cheers!

Looks like a classic coffin-top collared keezer. Can't go wrong with that with good insulation and cooling and it seems you have that covered.
Consider hinging the coffin at the back for ease of build/maintenance.
And you don't need the fifth caster...

Cheers!
I figured, I wasn't sure how the load would be distributed so I just added it in the model anyway. I was going to add a door or make the back of the coffin removable for maintenance. I was thinking of doing the PVC, but if I ever need to do maintenance on the lines or replace them, it would be a pain re-routing lines through the tube. So now I'm thinking of just doing a single hole for the lines to just go direct to the shanks. The coffin will be insulated so I don't think it will matter much.

The load is around the perimeter where there's structure to resist deformation. Plus you may note that the sheet metal in the middle/bottom has "give" to it as it's pretty much relying on the insulation between it and the liner for any form of resistance.

"Back door" on the coffin would be fine - at some point you'll be glad you provided easy access.
I think the PVC conduit would likely complicate the cooling scheme. If you apply rigid insulation all around the inside of the coffin and provide your fan driven ports to the cabinet interior that would allow the cold air to reach the lines and the shanks. That's pretty much all you can do to keep everything comfortable. The PVC would make that difficult to achieve...

Cheers!

Back