Way, way, way over the top Sam Adams Utopia clone - #2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We added two packets of 1118 when our gravity got down into the 1040-ish range (from 1.150-ish). That took us the rest of the way home. We finished at 1020. Something happened after we threw the chips in, we seemed to have been stalled around 1030 but the chips seemed to kick start things back up and there was renewed activity. Now it may just be coincidental, I can't come up with a reason for the addition of oak chip to restart a sluggish ferment, but that is what happened. I'm sure it is a coincidence but I'm including it in the discussion since that is how things went.
PTN

Dude,
Chris makes some incredibly pedestrian beer but he'll have a lot of it available to make up for how mediocre it is.
PTN

Bite me.... Looking forward to this! I get back from England Tuesday and am taking Friday off, so CB I may pick the stuff up Friday night?

Yeager, shoot me a PM with directions. I've been unable so far to convince any of the western-YI'ers to roadtrip out, maybe they don't like me or think I smell or don't trust my driving. Bringing my gear out, bought fresh ingredients yesterday so I can brew up a simple smoked old ale/barleywine (depends on how much efficiency I can pull).

I've decided that there's not nearly enough smoked beer in my life today, and it's so hard to find anything other than Stone Smoked Porter at even the best stores around.

Yeager, shoot me a PM with directions. I've been unable so far to convince any of the western-YI'ers to roadtrip out, maybe they don't like me or think I smell or don't trust my driving.

Don't be so hard on yourself! You aren't any one of those things! All of them, perhaps. But not a single one.

PTN

So how many HBT'rs are showing up at this thing?

PTN
Yeager
me
PTO... (lurkers count)
Sumo?
Drinkswell?
I gotta work on Babalu
Homebeerbrewer?
Joos?
The_Bird

I told PTN I'd stop by and introduce myself.
It'll probably be a re-introduction to a half dozen of you.

Paul,
You got a couple pony taps laying around anywhere? Believe it or not, I don't actually own one.

IF you've got two, I'll bring what's left of the Duchesse and the St. Barnardus Xmas ale. There's a tiny bit left in each keg and it's not worth hookin' them up to CO2.

Yeah I'll be there. Chris do you want me to drop off my burner and tank this week? Or I can meet you at TWB if you're heading there sometime before Saturday.

I skimmed through the post - awesome brew by the way - and I want to know if you all are still thinking about doing a webcast. If so give us the details on where to find it.

I have a laptop with a webcam, but I haven't yet used it for a webcast. If WiFi will be available, I'll see if I can figure it out (I signed up for some service that Walker-san was using so I could see his webcast, which I think will also let me broadcast). Lemme know if WiFi's even going to be an option, though - and if anyone ****s up my laptop (it's a work 'puter), they're getting a hockey stick upside the head.

We can use my login for the webcast as well if you want.... I know how to do it. Either way.

We just need to know if Yeager's got da wi-fi.... either that or a reeeeeeeally long cable

I'm pretty sure Yeader has wireless capabilities, he is a computer geek by trade. And he's a regular geek cause he's... well, a geek. I'm willing to bet he has any sort of computer gear you could name to go along with his Bill Gates action figure.

Back in the good old days if you wanted to send a message without stringing a wire you lit a fire and covered it with a blanket.

then I will be easy to recognize.
If I'm bringing you a cinder block, what do you have for me?

We added two packets of 1118 when our gravity got down into the 1040-ish range (from 1.150-ish). That took us the rest of the way home. We finished at 1020. Something happened after we threw the chips in, we seemed to have been stalled around 1030 but the chips seemed to kick start things back up and there was renewed activity. Now it may just be coincidental, I can't come up with a reason for the addition of oak chip to restart a sluggish ferment, but that is what happened. I'm sure it is a coincidence but I'm including it in the discussion since that is how things went.
PTN

You created nucleation points for the yeast (no I am not sh!tting you) thus jumpstarting activity.
Remember I discussed this with you at that ONE brewclub meeting you came to?

I remember the conversation, but as I told you at the time, I don't think you are right. The vast majority of the yeast had already floculated. We had pretty clean beer. Having a spot to attach themselves to won't make them reinvigorated. It just gives them a space.

I dunno, maybe there is a secondary gain that comes with floculation that I don't know about. Maybe "Beechwood Aging" does something?

PTN

I remember the conversation, but as I told you at the time, I don't think you are right. The vast majority of the yeast had already floculated. We had pretty clean beer. Having a spot to attach themselves to won't make them reinvigorated. It just gives them a space.

I dunno, maybe there is a secondary gain that comes with floculation that I don't know about. Maybe "Beechwood Aging" does something?

PTN

A vast majority had flocced out but the ones left in suspension (and maybe even some that flocced out) started dancing again when the Woods got to the party.

What town this be in?

Is that a bad Tiger joke or are you asking for directions?

This Saturday is in Norton, five minutes from CB's

Woods was a bad joke and I was asking where it will be

I know where this thing is Babalu if you want to carpool.

OK
How long do you plan on staying?
If I go I turn into a Pumpkin at 5:00 or so

Oh Christ, I wasn't going to be there that late. I'm thinking a couple hours around lunch time. just enough time to swing through, have a couple beers, make fun of Paul and head out.

I aint got THAT kind of time

Don't worry, we'll just stick to the basics:

1) Captain Tapdatass' presence
2) Paul's rotund stature
3) Paul's complete transformation into the Brewing Nepoleon which will have taken place well before we arrive. "DAMN IT Yeager!!! I'm the greatest brewer in modern history!! Listen to me!!! Turn that flame up 1/8th of a turn!! DO IT!!! DO IT NOW!!!!"

I really can't wait.

I'm so glad The Contraption isn't mobile and I don't have a share in this beer so I can just sit back and enjoy Yeager's misery.

Oh, wow...

It's times like this that I REALLY wish I still lived in CT...Life just hasn't been the same since I moved to Delaware. I'd be up there for this in a heartbeat if I still was (pseudo) local. I soooo want to see how this beautiful monster turns out.

As it is, I WILL be in CT this weekend, but visiting with my parents and siblings, so no crashing the brew-party for me...this time. Maybe I can try and make it up there for next year's brewday. I will, however, be following this thread with intense interest.

Back