Way, way, way over the top Sam Adams Utopia clone - #2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's up, gents?

I'm going to talk to the_Wife tonight and see if I can get "permission" to take a day trip and visit with y'all on the 23rd. Sent a message to Hippie, for you guys, too.

After having had the pleasure of sampling batch #1 at the "Big Pig Party" (as my daughter likes to refer to it), I'd say that a little bit more bitterness would not be a bad thing at all. I've never had the "real" deal, so I don't have a good comparison, but a little more bitterness to cut through that residual sweetness would be nice. Make it a LITTLE bit more "beer-ey."

So, since there's like eight hundred posts of BS here, fill me in on the details. If I can make it, you want me to bring down a keggle/burner? I've got a brandy-new March pump if that'll help anywhere in the process (chilling, etc - I want to bust this ****er out).

i dont think there is 800 post of bs since there is only 250 or so total...maybe 200 bs post though since that would be one post of 5 on topic. yeah that sounds about right for you massholes.

Wifey says I can take a day off daddy duties ;)

Still contingent on weather; I ain't driving three hours in a snowstorm.

So, anyone else coming out from Western MA/southern VT that wants to carpool?

Hey boys,

I got the word from the bird,
He said 'hey Hippie, have you heard?
Big beer brewing on the 23rd'
So a flight from florida has been secured.
A papa oohma mow mow
Papa ooh mow mow!

I'll be on the north shore on the date of this get together, but I'm gonna need to figure out my ride situation. I won't have any equipment obviously, but will be willing to help out in anyway needed, even if it is just asking CB when the men in garters game is gonna be every 5 minutes.
Yeager, if I recall, the Purple line runs out to Norton, how close are you to it? that may be my ticket to balance mobility and responsiblity. I'll look into the train schedule in a bit. I won't say it is etched in stone, but this sounds like a real good time, and not to be missed.
BTW, I've never had haggis, but would definitely give it a try if it is on the menu. Keep me informed of anything I can do to help. My mailbox has been cleaned if you want to PM me.

Later, Hippie

Hippie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Flying up from the sunny south to play with the boys!

Couple of options for you, Dude. Yes, you can take the commuter rail to Mansfield. IIRC, you stay up in Glouster when you are out here, right? So you can take CR to North Station then subway to South Station then CR to Mansfield. Or you can get to North Station and take the subway to 128/Canton and I can pick you up there early on Saturday morning. I plan on being at Yeagers by 9ish so that might be tough for you to get to 128/Canton that early, check the schedules.

OR, we can prevail upon our friends who live in the greater North Shore Metropolitan area who will be coming and have one of them schlepp you over. I've sent PM's to a few of the regulars at these events. Unfortunately, Yeager put this thread in the 'Ingrediants/Recipe' forum instead of the 'Local Gatherings' forum so it isn't gettign the traffic that it might have. I hope to hear from a few of those guys shortly.

You still have my cell, right?

PTN

Wifey says I can take a day off daddy duties ;)

Still contingent on weather; I ain't driving three hours in a snowstorm.

So, anyone else coming out from Western MA/southern VT that wants to carpool?

I sent a PM to Dean last night but then I got busy here at work. I'll PM KappClark, EvanMars and Kaiser tonight. Anyone else you want to drag along from the YI crowd is certainly welcome. (Especially if she has red locks.) Of course, we are talking about a Saturday in ski season, I wouldn't blame any of you guys if you stayed up in the mountains and ripped some freshies. That would be a tough call.

But sure, bring along your pump, we will certainly put it to use. If you want to bring the makings of a batch and brew with us that will be cool, too. Having an extra burner going in the garage can only keep it that much warmer in there.

I just had A STROKE OF F'ING GENIUS!!!!!! Everyone bring hockey sticks!!!!! We'll have a little game of street hockey in Yeagers driveway. How f'ing cool will it be to take off on Saturday evening leaving the front of Yeagers house looking like the Strategic Air Command just sent the 32nd Air Wing to precision bomb his garage door?????????????

MMMMMUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I truly an an evil genius!

PTN

I'll have to get my hands on a damn stick and beat up on you old men.

I'd wager that Dean'll be on the slopes, but I bet we can convince Evan or Bill or Kai to come along. I've posted on the YI board, I'll shoot Kai an email tonight.

Dudes, I am officially stoked.

Getting your hands on a stick shouldn't be that much of an ordeal. Head down to the corner sporting goods store, then spend a few hours practicing your shot. Wouldn't want to get stoned by the old man.

I've got $20 to the first guy who puts out a window. $50 if its a living room window.

This is gonna be GREAT!!! Yeagers wife is gonna sheet a Twinkie.

PTN

Hippie, I am off either the Mansfield of Attleboro stops. 10 minutes from Attleboro 15 from mansfield. Its the line from South Station. Someone can probably pick you up, I would not suggest PTN at 12/canton because I don't trust driving with him... He's a loon... Or maybe its just senility....

Oh Ya, Yeagers wife is gonna be spittin' tacks when this shindig gets rollin'!!! As you can see, I take up a considerable amount of the goal by just standing there. You'll probably be havin' to bring him back to Florida with you, Hippie.

(Note to self.. Go down cellar and see if you can still squeeze your ass into your gear.)

546e.jpg

My old team, the Suds Suckers. We didn't will any trophies but we could drink any team under the table.

Oh ya, that's a pissa idea. A bunch of gay guys voting on wether on not they want to go five hole on me. Why didn't I come up with that one on my own? Where do I sign up?

PTN
Alright PTN just need you to sign on the yellow line....
contract.jpg

I blame oaked arrogant bastard:drunk:

I don't even know what daddy khakis are! Nor do I want to know what they are.

I think I'll take a pass, thanks anyways.

And furthermore, any sheep detrius that gets placed on or in Yeagers body that might require 'extraction assistance' was placed there intentionally, either by myself, PTO or LeeAnne, and was meant to be left there. Don't touch. I'm only going to say it once.

Of course, you are certainly welcome to take full color photos of the moment of insertion.

PTN

Hello,

I'm too hung over to read the whole thread right now. But if you need some help with the grains I am more then willing to mash some of the grain for you. You had mentioned on the first page the the beer was missing something to pull it together. Have you thought about switching out some of the grains? At that amount certain grains lose thief effect and become over powering and spin your wort in another direction. ie. Instead of using a chocolate roast you Carafa III instead, you get the hint of chocolate without the harshness using straight up chocolate would.

Meh I shouldn't write when hung over and after 5 hours sleep. The Pats celebration party turned into a lets get drunk and forever burn the memory out of our minds blitz fest last night.

I'll see you Saturday the 23rd.

See you then, Al.

I think we're ok for brewing equipment but thanks for the offer. You should bring your gear anyways and brew with us. My aim is to get that garage so warm we are totally responsible for offing a dozen polar bears.

And don't forget your hockey stick!

PTN

Home from work, got a nice steak au Pouve finishing up on the stove, drinking a Poperings Hommel, waiting for a sourdough dough to finish rising so I can put it in the oven, and generally enjoying life. Except for the Pats. Not like you couldn't see it on the first few weeks of the season but it wan't fun to watch them step on their dicks yesterday.

Hey guys, we're going to have a load of fun on the 23rd. Everyone who's coming should really consider bringing their gear and brewing along with us. And don't be afraid of being 'just an extract brewer.' It's all good, we're all friends (Really, I know that might be hard to believe but it's all an act) and there really is no bad beer. OK, the National Bohemian that we bought for $4.99 a case back in '77 was bad beer but I'm talking about home brew.

Hope to see you guys at Chris's, if only to give Mrs Yeager other targets when she 'comes out blazing.'

PTN

WAAAAAAA!!! YOU'RE SO OFF TOPIC!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! BOOO HOOOOO HOOOO!!!!!

WA WA WA WA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Talk about your childish street hockey stuff elsewhere!!! WAAAAAAA!!!

Sorry I had to go off on you like that Paul.

Ski trip being slid into this upcoming weekend so I'm a "likely" for this day.

Ok...date penciled in on calendar...still up in the air if I can make it...

I started to read this thread...then realized that Paul was posting..so skipped to the end..

Let me see if I got the basics:

Post 1: All the info I need to know..time, place, what etc...
Posts 2 through 272: Some actual discussion about the brew but mainly Paul and Cape bickering and posting insults.

So...PM me the address etc and if I should bring anything. I don't have a hockey stick...and have never played...so consider me a spectator...

-Will

Dude, I've never played hockey either. Doesn't mean I can't kick the **** out of Paul. How hard can it be, I don't think the old man can even move. Long as I don't have to skate.

Posts 2 through 272: Some actual discussion about the brew but mainly Paul and Cape bickering and posting insults.

-Will

wrong... I've posted about ten posts on this whole thread and the first few were on topic... "use some freaklin' rice hulls this time", "I have a pot you can borrow" and then a handful making fun of Yeagers 5 gallon pot and the last three or four making fun of Paul.

I've been pretty quiet on this thread.

wrong... I've posted about ten posts on this whole thread and the first few were on topic... "use some freaklin' rice hulls this time", "I have a pot you can borrow" and then a handful making fun of Yeagers 5 gallon pot and the last three or four making fun of Paul.

I've been pretty quiet on this thread.

ummmm not true
paulthenurse 84
yeager1977 70
Cape Brewing 26
eriktlupus 20
jppostKW 16

OK, I'm assuming that if I can't get my chiller situation figured out in the next week and a half, someone will have a chiller I can borrow, right? Assuming you boys don't need to appropriate my mash tun and/or burner, I'll brew myself up something like a smoked Baltic porter. Been far too few smoked beers in my life as of late.

I have an immersion chiller you can borrow if need be. Don't know if there will be enough hoses.

If no hoses, I have a pump I can geri-rig for you. Just need a large bucket, some water and lotsa snow... and you could circ through the immersion chiller and the bucket.

I'll already have an O2 stone and a pot there (probably) so tossing one more thing in the back of Yeager's car when he comes to pick this stuff up won't be a problem.

Back