Water PH change

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HB2112

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just received a letter from our water district saying that they're adding sodium hydroxide to our water supply to help with metal pipes and help their treatment system last longer. The current PH is 7.2 and they're raising to 7.8. I'm glad that they sent me a letter, even more glad that I actually read it, so what kind of adjustments do I need to make to my water? Any input is greatly appreciated

pH of the water means practically nothing. What you need to know is the alkalinity of the water, which tells you how much acid is needed to bring the pH down to appropriate levels for mashing. Higher alkalinity requires more acid, either from the grains or as added acid.

The NaOH will increase the alkalinity, but by how much depends a lot on the previous alkalinity. So, just the pH before and after values isn't enough to go on.

Brew on :mug:

I just simplify matters of supplied water. I bought a water distiller that handles 2.5 gallons in about 8hrs. Before I’m going to do a 5 gal brew. I just distill 2x. No worries of anything 😁

Thanks DM I didn't think about that. I've got one of those "water distillers" a 5 gallon one too. It hasn't been used in a long time, but now it'll have a purpose. Besides taking up space.

Good thinking! I would never use sourced public water in my brews period! They change things all the time adding more additives, fluoride etc. Dont need that in beer 😂

That's true didn't even think about that either. I use filtered water so most of that type of stuff gets filtered out but I don't think it'll change the PH.

I use filtered water so most of that type of stuff gets filtered out but I don't think it'll change the PH.
That highly depends on the type of "filter" used.

[EDITS]
Wound filters will only filter out (larger) sedimentation particles.
Charcoal (block) filters will filter out sediments as well as Chlorine or Chloramines as long as the water is allowed sufficient contact time, by running through slowly enough.

Minerals will not be filtered out by those filters, unless you incorporate an RO membrane in the system.

Last edited:
Thanks Lizard. It's not an RO system. I'm pretty sure it's charcoal based
To know for sure you don’t have impurities in your water. You need either a RO system. Or distill, or buy distilled water.

Many of those filters (like the ones in your fridge for water and ice) do not remove everything. They remove the chlorine smell, but the chlorine is still present for example.

Depending on how much you brew a small distiller will pay for itself in time compared to buying water. Because, you just fill with tap water. Which is like 10 cents a gallon. Compared to a dollar or more per gallon if buying. Plus, if you distill your tap, or water your using. You’ll get to see what impurities are in it. Being, it will be left behind in the pot. My 6qt distiller usually has about a shot glass worth of brown water left behind from tap water. It smells horrible, much like a sewage treatment plant. So, I’m guessing that the governments acceptable level of sewage/poop allowed. 🤮

GAC filters certainly don't remove everything, but they do remove chlorine. Assuming you change them often enough and don't exceed the specified flow rate of course.
Yeah true, but for the cost of a few filters you can get an auto distiller and remove it all. I’m not talking about a stove top one. I’m talking about an electric one you just fill with tap and push a button. It drips into a jug and you’re done. Rinse and repeat.

On a side note: I run mine inside overnight during the cold winter nights. Helps warm the house and adds a little humidity to the air. Side bonus 😁

How is this possible?
I don’t know. But, I do know it says in the description of fridge filters that “it removes the smell and taste of chlorine“. That’s so your ice and ice water don’t smell. But, the residual I’m assuming is still there. Kinda like natural gas….It has no smell, but they add a smell so you know if you have a leak 🤔

I don’t know. But, I do know it says in the description of fridge filters that “it removes the smell and taste of chlorine“. That’s so your ice and ice water don’t smell. But, the residual I’m assuming is still there. Kinda like natural gas….It has no smell, but they add a smell so you know if you have a leak 🤔
In water, the smell and taste are the chlorine. To remove the smell and taste, you have to remove (most of) the chlorine.

In natural gas the smell is methyl mercaptan (methanethiol). They specifically chose something that smells really bad, so that you would do something quickly if you have a leak.

Brew on :mug:

Back