Using Magnum hops late in the boil for Belgian Tripel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckybeagle

Making sales and brewing ales.
Reaction score
I usually use Styrian or Saaz in my Belgian beers for any addition 30 minutes or shorter, but I'm out. The flavor profile of Magnum, which is a German hop (so it's of the same region) is described as this:

"It has subtle spice aromas, primarily of black pepper and nutmeg, and also a slight hint of citrus."

The yeast I'm using, Wyeast 3522 Ardennes, has citrus, apricot and peppery notes. Since Tripels are usually balanced but not hop-forward, I'm wondering if a 60 minute addition to ~25 IBUS followed by a 15 minute addition for another 5-10 IBUs would be stylistically suitable?

Has anyone used Magnum in later-than-60-minute-additions? I bitter all of my beers with it and have a pound on-hand, but haven't tried it for later addition. Seems like the flavors might work for beers not aggressively hop-forward or with big hop aromas?

I've used it late 5 and dry hop...gives a nice citrus/orange flavor
Nice, that sounds like it'd compliment the 3522 well. I'm contemplating a 10 gallon batch with 5 gallons receiving WY1214 (Chimay) and the other half WY3522 (Ardennes). Since the 1214 is more clove/spice heavy than the 3522, the magnum might balance it. For the 3522 batch, it might amplify and offer complexity to those existing yeast-driven citrusy notes.

OK, I'll give it a go. It may turn out a little less exciting on the 3522 batch, but maybe the Magnum will help supplement the more mellow characteristics of that yeast.

This recipe is inspired by the Chimay Blanc clone via CSI website:

OG: 1.073
FG: ~1.011 approx
IBU: 32
SRM: 3.56
BU:GU ratio: 0.44

19 LBS MFB Pilsner
2.5 LBS Torrified Wheat
3 LBS table sugar

Magnum to 23 IBU at 60 min
Magnum to 32 total IBU at 15 min

Carboy 1: Wyeast 3522 (Ardennes)
Carboy 2: Wyeast 1214 (Chimay)

Fermentation schedule for both:
64F pitch, 1F increase daily to FG. Wait a few days then crash and package in Belgian glass to 3-3.5 volumes.

Any and all feedback very welcome!

Whoops, look like I have PALE WHEAT at home (2.5#) rather than torrified wheat.

Should I opt for just Pilsner malt and sugar, or use the pale wheat in place of the torrified wheat mentioned above? Don't want to add too much body, but the flavor profile of it sounds nice for the style (spice and bread, biscuits, toast). I'm primarily after lacing on the glass and good head retention.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back