Help me Decide What to do With Magnum Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, I could use some quick advice.

I accidentally brewed the wrong beer by mistake, so now I have to figure out a hop schedule fast. It's an American style lager with corn as well as barley.

8.5 lbs. pilsner
0.75 lbs. crystal 10L
1.5 lbs. flaked corn

I'm using Magnum at 60 minutes to get it to about 30 IBU. The recipe also says to steep 1.5 ounces of Magnum at the end of the boil.

Is this a good use of Magnum for flavoring according to 2023 wisdom? The recipe is from 2006.

I have no idea why I chose it 20 years ago, but the beer was excellent. I brewed it to tempt someone else. He stuck with Bud, but I loved this stuff.

Okay, I could use some quick advice.

I accidentally brewed the wrong beer by mistake, so now I have to figure out a hop schedule fast. It's an American style lager with corn as well as barley.

8.5 lbs. pilsner
0.75 lbs. crystal 10L
1.5 lbs. flaked corn

I'm using Magnum at 60 minutes to get it to about 30 IBU. The recipe also says to steep 1.5 ounces of Magnum at the end of the boil.

Is this a good use of Magnum for flavoring according to 2023 wisdom? The recipe is from 2006.
did you brew this as a lager, or as an ale? what yeast did you use?
thanks

I used 34/70. It's supposed to be a lager.

Not recommending it to anyone else. It's a strange beer I made for a specific purpose a long time ago.

I brew a saison with Merkur, which is a Magnum variant (better disease resistance), which I use for bittering, flavour, aroma and dry hop or hop tea. Works well.

Latest posts

Back