little big mouth bubbler lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
Reaction score
I have a few of the LBMB and usually put a weight on top to keep it from getting pushed up during fermentation. I plan on doing a few test batches together so instead of buying more 5lb dumbells, is there any other ideas to keep the lids on tight? I was looking at some flat bungee cords, but getting the right length is an issue.

Make the hole bigger and use a blow off tube and bubbler bottle instead of a airlock.

Probably 1/2" - 3/4" ID tubing will be plenty. Mine is 7/8 inch ID! Though I didn't use it with a LBMB.

Other options might be duct tap or wide electricians tape or wide vinyl tape of any sort that can be stretched to include both the lid and the neck of the FV.

Unless you are doing pressurized fermentation, the higher volume of CO2 production is only a very little time span.

Thanks! I like the tubing idea. I have some extra laying around.

Keep the bubbler jar below the liquid level in the FV. Or lower.

Don't stick the tube any further than about a ¼ to ½ inch below the surface level in the bubbler jar. Otherwise it might take too much pressure to displace the water from the end of the tube.

In addition, it'll prevent the liquid in the bubbler jar from being sucked back all the way to the FV. IMO, better that little bit of air get in than the nasty stuff that is in the bubbler jar.

Even if it's vodka. That's nasty stuff to me. A 19 plus yo or Scotch, will be enjoyable no matter what.

Back