Using 2 Wort Chillers???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last time I brewed was in the middle of July in South Carolina, my tap water was 80 degrees haha. So I decided that I might would get a 50ft immersion chiller and throw that in an ice bath in my cooler then run that to the immersion chiller in my brew kettle. So - water hose -> ice bathed immersion chiller -> brew kettle -> water catch bucket so its not a total waste.

Any ideas? Does this sound utterly dumb or possibly a good idea?

yes, other people do that as well.

I took a five gallon container that candy syrup came in and would fill it up 4-4.5 gallons and lay it on it's side and freeze it.
I had added garden hose connections to the side and the top and would run the water through it prior to the water going to the chiller for similar results.

I found using a second chiller in Ice water takes too long. Get yourself a small pond pump and put that right into the ice bath.

Start by chilling the wort with tap water until you get down to 120 or so. Disconnect the tap water and hookup the pond pump, with the return right back into the ice bath.

With one 10 lb bag I can get 6 gallons from 120 to 60 in 10 minutes.

But ultimately it's your choice, both methods will work.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back