Grainfather G40 -- Counterflow or Immersion Chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvpeacock

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got a Grainfather G40 for Christmas and was able to use for the first time this weekend (had to wait for the electrician to install the 220v plug in the garage). Prior to now, I brewed using a Blichmann 10 gallon kettle and used a Jaded Hydra immersion chiller. The Hydra worked great and would get my wort down to about 80 degrees F while filling a 55 gallon trash can about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way up with the cooling hose water. I would cool the wort the rest of the way to pitching temperature in my SS Brewtech conical fermenters using a Glycol chiller.

This last weekend, I used the Grainfather counterflow chiller for the first time. While I was impressed that the wort was coming out of the chiller and into my fermenters at 68 degrees F, it took way more cooling water than I am used to. My 55 gallon trash can overflowed significantly.

I think I might go back to using my Hydra immersion chiller to save water since my Glycol chiller can finish the job of cooling the wort to pitching temperature once the wort is in the fermenters. Am I missing something? Has anyone else had to make a similar decision?

Sounds like a lot of water if it over flowed the trash bin!

I don't have the same CFC but mine usually only takes 5-7 minutes to get my wort down to mid 60's. Granted my ground water is cold all year round but still seems excessive.

If you like the Hydra and use the glycol why not continue...as the old adage goes if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I also have the G40 and the included CFC and I agree, it takes a lot of water to cool the wort down to pitching temp. I have to runs quite an aneamic wort stream through the CFC to make sure the temp comes out right. I wish I could have a Jaded chiller, but the postage to get it all th way out to NZ is significant!

After a number of brews on the G40, I have discovered that using my Jaded immersion chiller uses the least amount of cooling water for 10 gallon batches and the Grainfather counterflow chiller uses the least amount of water for cooling 5 gallon batches. On the smaller batches, the CFC actually works amazing and drops the wort temp. from 200 F in the kettle to 74 F into the fermenter. I'm glad I did not give up on using the CFC.

i use the CFC just fine but can only have a trickle of wort come out because my groundwater temp is higher than normal due to living on an extinct volcano.

Back