Wort chiller help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorAce

Reaction score
So I'm looking at getting a wort chiller before my next batch so I don't have to do an ice bath in my kitchen sink. Problem is my faucet has a retractable hose as the primary water output. Is there some sort of adapter I can get to use with a wort chiller?

Some faucets, sprayers included, have a screw-off ring around a typical male hose thread. Otherwise, like mine, you can install a splitter on the cold water supply under the sink.
Thanks, that helps. I'll take a closer look see what I can do with what I've got under there.

Most manufactured chillers come with fittings that will screw onto any standard hose faucet. If you can't find an adapter that'll fit your hose-faucet, then just hook up an outside hose and use that.

Incidentally, check your utility tub (if you have one) -- it probably has a standard hose thread on it.

Most manufactured chillers come with fittings that will screw onto any standard hose faucet. If you can't find an adapter that'll fit your hose-faucet, then just hook up an outside hose and use that.

Incidentally, check your utility tub (if you have one) -- it probably has a standard hose thread on it.
Cool thanks. That makes it easier.

Consider what your tap water temperature is coming into the house. You might find you still will need ice to cool down the water you run through the chiller regardless of what sort of chiller you get.

I had the same problem once. I used an aquarium pump in the sink. The trick is to balance the incoming faucet water to the pump volume.

Consider what your tap water temperature is coming into the house. You might find you still will need ice to cool down the water you run through the chiller regardless of what sort of chiller you get.
The first part bringing the wort down from near boiling to 120-100°F can be done with pretty much any tap water. Cheap and cheerful, while collecting the hot water for cleanup, or let cool for watering plants, etc.

Then the last part, getting it down to pitching temps, usually requires using ice or chilled water, except maybe in winter when your tap water is very cold.

Problem is my faucet has a retractable hose as the primary water output. Is there some sort of adapter I can get to use with a wort chiller?
Can the head be removed/screwed off (easily)? Mine does, remarkably easily.
If so, there may be a 1/2" NPT connection left on the hose into which you can screw a 1/2" NPT barb or camlock.

Back