Using Jacketed Conical to Chill Wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawsh2

Reaction score
I’m eyeing a jacketed conical and wondering if it’s possible to chill wort by first running cold tap water through the jacket, then draining and switching to glycol once it’s sub-90F or so. If this is feasible, how long might this take in an 8gal conical? I would be circulating the wort while pumping cold fluids in the jacket to maximize exposure to the cold walls.

This would be great because it’d mean I don’t need to worry about maintaining a separate chiller, whether immersion, plate etc provided this method is efficient enough. I also worry about how easy it is to switch between a water filled jacked to glycol. Obviously I don’t want water in my glycol system, or to waste glycol.

Last edited:
Probably not as quick as setting a kettle or even a conical in a bath of ice water. Which isn't really that quick. So essentially not quick enough for those of us that are use to the speed of our immersion coils.

But if it's something you can try, why not try. Even if its just with some water you boiled.

On hot Summer days when my ground water is in the 70s, I routinely get wort to 80F or so and use my glycol chiller to do the rest. Takes another 15-20 min to get to low 60s.

Back