unfiltered beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xbabyboy4021x

Reaction score
when a bottle of beer says its "unfiltered" does that mean that it still contains the yeast and should be poured into a glass leaving yeast sediment behind like a homebrew? im drinking an empyrean ale brand "Darkside Vanilla Porter" and it says its unfiltered and i also bought a beer called Easy Street Wheat which i just noticed it is also unfiltered but in the wheat i can see the yeast sediment at the bottom and on the bottle it says to pour 2/3 of the beer then swirl the last 1/3 to suspend the yeast sediment then pour that too, im new to brewing and trying different kinds of beer but ive never heard of pourposely pouring the yeast sediment into the beer.

oh and also, on the side of the vanilla porter it says "OG: 14.1" im assuming this is 1.141, am i right?

Yeast sediment won't hurt you; I think it has some vitamins in it. I've never heard of purposely drinking the sediment myself, but you should try it with the sediment and without, see which tastes better to you I guess. I usually leave the sediment behind in my homebrews.

the side of the shock top bottles say to do the 2/3 pour then roll the rest and pour it in. i havent tried it but a friend did it and said it tasted better when he did that.

Wheat beers rely on the yeast for a lot of their character so you should drink the yeast. On the other hand a porter should be decanted off the yeast. Usually they'll say "Bottle conditioned" or something like that to tell you to pour carefully, but unfiltered would normally also have yeast at the bottom, but not always.

when a bottle of beer says its "unfiltered" does that mean that it still contains the yeast and should be poured into a glass leaving yeast sediment behind like a homebrew? im drinking an empyrean ale brand "Darkside Vanilla Porter" and it says its unfiltered and i also bought a beer called Easy Street Wheat which i just noticed it is also unfiltered but in the wheat i can see the yeast sediment at the bottom and on the bottle it says to pour 2/3 of the beer then swirl the last 1/3 to suspend the yeast sediment then pour that too, im new to brewing and trying different kinds of beer but ive never heard of pourposely pouring the yeast sediment into the beer.

oh and also, on the side of the vanilla porter it says "OG: 14.1" im assuming this is 1.141, am i right?

unfiltered means that the yeast is left in suspension for purposes of bottle conditioning or enhancing the flavor of the beer. most wheat beers are unfiltered since those yeast strains tend to be more estery and phenolic (bananna and clove-y).

14.1 is in degrees Plato, the form of gravity used in commercial brewing circles. To convert to specific gravity, multiply the number by 4. 14.1x4 is 56.4, so the OG was 1.0564 in specific gravity. Brix/Plato/Balling is also nice since it is also a percentage of sugar within the wort/beer. Originally that beer/wort had 14.1 percent of its solution made up with sugar.

Just drank an Empyrean Vanilla Porter and I don't think it's bottled conditioned. Easy Street will come out pretty cloudy, very normal. Both are excellent beers!

Dont fear the yeast, most beers in Belgium, bottled atleast, are sold with yeast in them, in lambics its not the yeast that it was brewed with they filter out the brewing yeast, and then put in normal yeast for bottle conditioning(so that you cant get there custom wild/lambic yeast for free, Back on topic, the yeast in the bottle is good for you, and is full of good vits and what not.

Unfiltered just means the beer did not go through a filter, it does not necessarily mean the beer was bottle conditioned. In addition to removing the yeast, filtering removes some flavor components so if the brewer is more concerned with flavor than having a really clear beer then they may chose to not filter but still force carbonate.

Most pro brewers use gravity in degree Plato. If OG is listed on the bottle it is usually in this format.

As mentioned wheat beers get much of their flavor from the yeast, so to maximize the flavor, resuspend the yeast in the bottle. The combination of low floccutation yeast and high protein content in wheat based beer is what leads to the cloudy appearance.

Craig

The Easy Street Wheat is giving you the traditional European method of drinking wheat beers. In the case of a wheat, the yeast is part of the flavor profile of the beer so it's usually swirled into the last bit in the bottle.

Drinking the yeast won't hurt you one bit....though some people are more sensitive to it than others. I think it's related to what your system is adjusted too. Drinking too much home brew with the yeast can result in some folks having a "colon cleansing" experience, in others a case of really really really bad beer farts.......and some it doesn't bother one bit.

If I know before hand that a long and grueling staff meeting is on the agenda at work......I will drink 2 or 3 liters of hefeweissen the night before, along with some pickled eggs and a big heaping bowl of chili with lots and lots of colby cheese on it. Seems to cut about an hour off our staff meetings.

Latest posts

Back