Under attenuated blonde?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fermint

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For bigbrew day this year I attended an organized event that provided wort made by a local brewery. When I showed up I found out the grain bill wasn't quite what I was expecting but still decided to proceed with the ingredients I brought with me. They were supposed to make the More Fun Blonde AHA recipe but ended up using straight 2-row.

As it turned out their efficiency is crazy high so I ended up with a OG of 1.077. Another brewer warned me that the tiny packet of Safbrew Abbaye needed to be augmented to avoid under pitching for my 5 gallon batch. For whatever reason I ignored his advice and thus I'm here.

The beer finished around 1.010 but tastes maybe a tad under-attenuated. I believe it was supposed to finish around 1.004. Fermentation was crazy active and required a blowoff tube. Should I repitch with a fresh culture of Abbaye and/or something else? Would that help?

Did you try to raise temperature during fermentation?

Not really. It started on a counter in my kitchen which was between 64-66 F ambient. After the fermentation slowed down a little, I put it in the temp chamber with the thermostat set to 68 F. As far as I can tell it never made it over 69 F. So I guess I should have bumped the temp up?

well, the recipe says FG: 1015. so maybe you're done. mash temperature gives some unfermentable sugars, so probably the beer is ready. If after 2-3 days at 1-2 temperature degrees the gravity is still the same, you can bottle it

You've got an apparent attenuation of 86% on a yeast that averages about 85% based on a little searching on the Google. I'd say the yeast did it's job and you're not going to get much more out of them.

You've got an apparent attenuation of 86% on a yeast that averages about 85% based on a little searching on the Google. I'd say the yeast did it's job and you're not going to get much more out of them.

Good point. I guess that means it's done then. Next time I think I'll raise the temp a tad higher.

Latest posts

Back