What is the point of a 50F rest? Belgian Blond

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckybeagle

Making sales and brewing ales.
Reaction score
To clear out some inventory, I brewed Belgian Blond with WY3787 and have it resting in my fermentation chamber at 74F currently. I pitched at 64F and did a gradual rise before hitting FG on day 5 or so. Today is day 13. Samples taste good--about as good as a warm Belgian can taste anyway 🤪.

I'm contemplating either crashing now and then fining with gelatin, followed by kegging, OR a 50F rest for 2 weeks before crashing, fining and kegging.

I see 50F as a recommended cool conditioning temp in some of the Candisyrup recipes but can't imagine a whole lot of yeast activity happening post fermentation at this temperature--just clarifying, which can be sped up with gelatin and getting it in the keezer sooner rather than later.

Recipe:

OG: 1.052
FG: 1.004 (crazy attenuation)
IBU: 21
SRM: 4.7
ABV: 6.4%

38.7% Pilsner Malt
38.7% Pale Malt
12.9% White Wheat Malt
6.5% Cane Sugar
3.2% Aromatic Malt

Styrian Goldings @ 60 minutes: 18 IBU
Styrian Goldings @ 10 minutes: 3 IBU

My question is: Is there any point in putting it at 50F for 2 weeks prior to kegging, or will I accomplish the same thing if it stays in the keg for an extended period?

Thank you both! I think I will just taste it once more and then drop the temp if it tastes as good or better than it did a few days ago.

FWIW, I "Cellar" my belgians around 50F for a few months after they bottle condition. I think it makes the flavors a bit sharper and really helps clarity.
This is usually my process as well for Belgians (or if it's summer time I just let the higher ABV ones sit in a box in our cooler room temp downstairs closet). I don't typically keg my Belgians but primarily brewed this one for the slurry and am saving my Belgian glass for the next beer. Came out a bit stronger than I intended (higher attenuation than expected), but hopefully it'll still produce a good Tripel. That one will definitely be bottle conditioned and cellared as you mentioned.

Sounds like it'll improve at cellar temps OR keezer temps, and that I should just RDWHAHB regarding this batch.

Latest posts

Back