S04 over attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sicktght311

Reaction score
has anyone recently experienced S04 over attenuating consistently? I used to be able to count on around 75% attenuation with S04, but in the last year any time I use a pack, especially in NEIPAs, im getting well over 80%

This last beer, I mashed at 154-155 (Herms electric PId controlled and temps probe readings confirmed during mash with thermopen). I got a 1.063og, used 1 pack of S04 at 68 degrees, and I just finished at 1.007. Way below expected

Looking at all the beers I brewed in the last year with S04, and all of them ended at 1.010 or below

I brewed exclusively ales and stouts the last couple years. Haven’t used any saison yeasts, or brewed any sours. 85% of the beers have been with S04 or US05, and if not those, it’s been a variation of London III such as A38, Barbarian, or Omega V

Also the gravity readings are with a calibrated hydrometer

Only used it twice in the last year, more before that, generally does higher apparent attenuation when doing lighter beers but never anything lower than 1.012, avg 1.017; apparent attenuation max 76.5%, avg 66.7%

All of these experiences were with the new pack of dry yeast and not harvested or wort put on the cake in a FV just bottled or kegged?

Have you checked your hydrometer it water? It is possible for the scale to slip down in the tube which then gives you a bad reading.

Have you checked your hydrometer it water? It is possible for the scale to slip down in the tube which then gives you a bad reading.
Combination of tilt and then hydrometer to confirm. Hydrometer is calibrated

Have you looked at your mash process lately. Maybe you earlier batches were not as well controlled or the temps different. Possibly it's just you got better at controlling things and your target mash temp is just making a lot of fermentable sugar.

My use of us-05 is been higher ABV than they suggest for it

Back