turkey fryer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aluminum is fine for brewing. One thing you should do is boil water in it first to oxidize the aluminum. Other then that you are fine.

The price on your link for me is $48--do you have an online coupon or something that reduces the price to $40? I'm looking to pick this up myself in about 10 minutes, hopefully I can save a few bucks that can go into grain instead. :)

You might want to remove the timer. I had one like that from Sam's that I ended up taking back for other reasons, but the timer is annoying because you have to keep remembering to crank it back up to the full 15-20 minutes (or whatever yours will do). There's a good video on youtube about removing them. Anyway, I just bought a $40 aluminum stock pot on Amazon from some restaurant supply place, and then I bought a Bayou Classic fryer stand (no pesky timers).

Judging by the picture it looks like a master chef brand turkey fryer. If that is the case then I have the same one and thats a great price for it. I picked mine up for $69 but these things seem to be more expensive in Canada.

I have that exact same set up. The timer is slightly annoying, but not really a big deal. I just set a separate timer on my phone for every 15 minutes to tell me when to crank it. For the money, it's definitely worth it! I just upgraded to a keggle, and this burner works perfectly with it, but that pot does just fine. You just have to be careful about boil overs if you're doing a full boil. There's not a whole lot of extra room.

The price on your link for me is $48--do you have an online coupon or something that reduces the price to $40? I'm looking to pick this up myself in about 10 minutes, hopefully I can save a few bucks that can go into grain instead. :)

I thought I saw it in store for 40, but I suppose I saw wrong.

As for the timer, I have one on mine, and I will put a cinder block or a set of vice grips on the timer knob to keep it from turning. Never had a problem this way after at least a dozen brews.

As for the timer, I have one on mine, and I will put a cinder block or a set of vice grips on the timer knob to keep it from turning. Never had a problem this way after at least a dozen brews.

Didn't think of that!! That's a great idea.

Went and picked it up for 48$! The pot is a little on the flimsy side, but as long as I don't beat it up it will be fine. Can't wait to brew my first 5g ipa.

I use a turkey fryer and it is excellent for just getting started. One thing use plastic spatulas for stiring. Avoid metal as not to scratch the insides of the pot.

Not too shabby!!! Best part about it is if the frame bends, cracks or the welds break, I can just weld it back together.
Not a fan of the timer, but its not a big deal to me.
IMAG0035.jpg

The advantage to the thin walls and bottom of these pots is they will heat faster and lower their heat faster than a SS heavy pot. I cook with SS and it takes my soups about 4 hours plus to cool down. The stuff is still piping hot 2 hours after I turn off the heat.

With my turkey pot, it takes around 10 minutes or less, with the wort emersion chiller to get to 75 degrees.

Remember to boil off a batch of water by it's self first. This will also give you a good idea on how long it takes to reach boil. cheers.

If you are in Texas or can order online then Acadamy has a sale on turkey fryers for 29.99. Just picked one up while traveling in Texas. Already have a brew pot so I suppose I will have to make use of the pot that came with it and fry a turkey.

Back