Material of Construction - Brewing Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcfontario

Reaction score
I have been doing home brews for 3 years and am looking to up my game. I currently do my wort boils in 2 stock pots that are about 10 L each. I am looking to get 40 to 50 L pot - either a stock pot or a turkey fryer. Any recommendations whether I should get stainless steel or aluminium?

I’ve used both with no real preference. Stainless is nice and shiny. Aluminum is lighter and dents easier. I currently use a 20gallon stainless kettle but started with an aluminum turkey fryer. Both make decent beer.

You should let us know how you heat. Gas stove, electric stove, propane burner?

If you have 240V nearby you might even consider an electric option up to and including an all-in-one.

You should let us know how you heat. Gas stove, electric stove, propane burner?

If you have 240V nearby you might even consider an electric option up to and including an all-in-one.
Heating with an electric stove, although if I got a turkey fryer it would be a propane burner. A 240 V all in one would be nice, but it would be a challenge to run the wiring to somewhere appropriate.

Heating with an electric stove, although if I got a turkey fryer it would be a propane burner. A 240 V all in one would be nice, but it would be a challenge to run the wiring to somewhere appropriate.
Induction or coil? If coil, you might go aluminum as it's way more (10 - 20 times) more thermally conductive than stainless steel. So much so that you will want to turn off the element at times i.e. if you ever use any liquid extract in your brew. If induction, you'll need to be sure something will pick that up and get hot. I'm less familiar with that but I'm sure it could be searched easily enough.

Another thought is if you will want a thermometer or valve in it. If they come with these installed, or have pre-drilled holes. You can DIY this of course, drilling holes that is, but if you do you'll find aluminum to be far easier to work with.

If you are intending to still use your stove, then you probably don't need to be looking at pots that big. I find even 3 gallons (11.4 litres) a little hard to boil vigorously enough on a kitchen stove.

Do you know what the wattage is for the big burner on your stove?

but it would be a challenge to run the wiring to somewhere appropriate.
I haven't set up my 'proper' brew-room yet..(slow going on converting what used to be the coal-bin in my basement for it), but I've made my own electric keggle and an adapter so I just slide out my stove and borrow it's plug to brew in the kitchen near the sink. No real challenge for me, but others mileage may vary. ;)

I started with a 4 gallon pot on electric stove. I bought a 30qt turkey fryer with a aluminum pot and made a mash tun when I went all grain. Later I bought a cheap 60 qt stainless kettle to do 10 gallon batches. Now I have a heavy duty 20 gallon stainless kettle and a more powerful burner.

My 60 qt stainless kettle has worked very well and still looks good. The aluminum turkey pot also still works but is really beat up.

I still use all of them. They don't take up too much space because they stack up inside each other (no ball valves sticking out.)

Honestly I thick the cheap stainless 60 qt was the best deal. It's lightweight. It's not tri-clad but that has not made any real difference.

Latest posts

Back