Trying to pick a yeast that will not kill the malt in a IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHBT

Reaction score
So usually when i brew an IPA i go for wlp001 or 1056, but these yeast seem to bury the malt profile and results in a sharper,dryer beer, not a bad thing for an IPA ,but for my next IPA i want a rounder balanced( i know with an ipa thats an oxymoron) beer highlighting both the hops and the malt backbone..The yeast im thinking about are dennys favorite 50, vermont ale,1272, what would you pick outta these? So far im leaning towards Dennys favorite 50

I'd go with the Denny's. I really enjoy that yeast in a hoppy beer, I always use it in my hoppy amber. It really lets the malt shine without dulling the hops. My $0.02.

Yeah thats what i think im gonna choose...from the description is does not leave the beer sweet attenuates well but allows malts to come thru..sounds perfect

for my next IPA i want a rounder balanced( i know with an ipa thats an oxymoron) beer highlighting both the hops and the malt backbone..The yeast im thinking about are dennys favorite 50, vermont ale,1272, what would you pick outta these? So far im leaning towards Dennys favorite 50

Don't think 1272 will really give you much more over Chico, I might be thinking something more British? But I'd look at water chemistry first if you're not doing anything on that front.

1335 Seems to leave a good malt/hop balance with a clean finish but I've been brewing low AA hops with it. If you want a none ester-y yeast with a clean finish but a more balanced profile the English/British/London named yeasts tend to be the go to instead of the standard 1056 and American strains.

Look for what’s used in Sierra Nevada celebration ipa, this is a good malty beer and the yeast make may sense for you

wy1318 lets the malt speak and the hops still shine. You may want to use 5-7% sugar if you need to get to the same FG as wy1056. Even though this dilutes the malt a bit, the beer will still taste more malty than 1056 at the same FG.

Same goes for wy1278, but in this case 3-4% sugar for the same FG. Using no sugar will finish 2-3 points higher, but the subjective residual sweetness is similar to wy1056 with the benefit of increased malt flavor and aroma. Use o2, pitch big and ferment at 60-64F. Increase the temp on day 5 for 2 days. It will produce a clean beer. Underpitching plus low o2 will produce very light banana that can be a nice compliment to some hops.

wy1098 is another one worth trying. This one seems to enhance the bready malt flavor compared to American ale yeast. The hops still shine and they are enhanced with mild lactic acid production from 1098. 5% sugar if you want the same FG as AA yeast. One weird thing about this yeast is it drops super clear in the fermenter quickly. Dry hopping clear beer in the keg converts it to hazy or even turbid reliably. I'd like to know why that happens.

One thing to consider is the attenuation specs published by Wyeast haven't changed since 1998, but their yeast has. There are several strains that make you think your 7% IPA would finish at 1.018 based on attenuation specs, but a lot of them finish at 1.014 without sugar and less than 1.010 with sugar with a mash temp of 152F.

Vermont provides a lot of mouth feel whilst also drying the beer and would be my choice.

Denny’s Fav, slowly becoming a house favorite, mouthfeel is pillow-like but not overly cloying or muddy. Hops still punch threw , running it around 62*f, extended cold crash ehh what’s another 2 days, slowly loving 1450 more and more...

If you’re up to dry yeasts, lallemand’s windsor is right what you looking for.

For an IPA? No. It's one of the weakest attenuators available. It does preserve plenty of malt. Too much for the style.

I’m stuck on use an 05 because so easy to use and I like it .I want to discover a different yeast but it’s up to the person’s taste . So just try different yeast and go for it

Denny’s Fav, slowly becoming a house favorite, mouthfeel is pillow-like but not overly cloying or muddy. Hops still punch threw , running it around 62*f, extended cold crash ehh what’s another 2 days, slowly loving 1450 more and more...

It came across *almost* cloying for me. I think in general, I would consider backing slightly off the crystal malts if I had developed a recipe for a different yeast. OTOH, the stout I just did with 1318, would have benefitted from MORE crystal, even tho last years version with 1450 probably needed less. Experiment. that's part of the fun. It's extremely rare that I find a mistake unpleasant to drink.

Look for what’s used in Sierra Nevada celebration ipa, this is a good malty beer and the yeast make may sense for you

Pretty sure they just use the good old chico strain for that one just like most of their other beers. I think celebration just has a healthy dose of caramel malts that give it more body and richness compared to other IPAs.

As for a yeast suggestion for the OP, I’ll throw my vote in the Denny’s Favorite hat. I don’t personally use that yeast but my coworker does in most of his beers and they are fantastic.

So usually when i brew an IPA i go for wlp001 or 1056, but these yeast seem to bury the malt profile and results in a sharper,dryer beer, not a bad thing for an IPA ,but for my next IPA i want a rounder balanced( i know with an ipa thats an oxymoron) beer highlighting both the hops and the malt backbone..The yeast im thinking about are dennys favorite 50, vermont ale,1272, what would you pick outta these? So far im leaning towards Dennys favorite 50

well, 1450 is my favorite for a reason! But it's perfectly possible to get a lot of malt flavor with those other yeasts is you design your recipe for it.

Pretty sure they just use the good old chico strain for that one just like most of their other beers. I think celebration just has a healthy dose of caramel malts that give it more body and richness compared to other IPAs.

As for a yeast suggestion for the OP, I’ll throw my vote in the Denny’s Favorite hat. I don’t personally use that yeast but my coworker does in most of his beers and they are fantastic.

Yes, it is indeed the "Chico" yeast.

It came across *almost* cloying for me. I think in general, I would consider backing slightly off the crystal malts if I had developed a recipe for a different yeast. OTOH, the stout I just did with 1318, would have benefitted from MORE crystal, even tho last years version with 1450 probably needed less. Experiment. that's part of the fun. It's extremely rare that I find a mistake unpleasant to drink.

I usually use 10-20% crystal with 1450 in an IPA.

giphy.gif

Are you sure you've been drinking IPAs since 1982?

I tend to keep my crystals very low 4% max out of preference, but i made up my mind and i'm going with your yeast Denny..cheers

I just did 2 Mosiac Promise clones, one with 1450 and the other with 1272. The 1272 was a tastier beer, both good, but 1272 was the winner.

I just did 2 Mosiac Promise clones, one with 1450 and the other with 1272. The 1272 was a tastier beer, both good, but 1272 was the winner.
Right on, i am gonna try 1272 on the next round, im already set on the 1450 for this particular batch

Back