Trinidad scorpions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grendal

Reaction score
I was wondering out of curiosity...has anyone tried brewing them new butch t strain trinidad scorpion peppers?

I've been growing a few of them, and I've got an abundance of them and the chinese 5 star peppers.

The local chili festival is comming up and I was debating on bringing 5 gallons worth of chili beer using the trinidads, and 5stars in each bottle.

I'd like to get the seeds from some of those scorpion peppers myself. My wife grows some nice New Mexico chilies I've been saving the seeds from. This is one of the chilies used to make chili powder. They have a fresh chili powder sort of flavor to them. They might be good for some flavor,while maintaining some balance.

Sounds really hot.

The butch t trinidads are now the hottest pepper in the world.

A laboratory test conducted in March, 2011 measured a specimen of Trinidad Scorpion Butch T at 1,463,700 Scoville heat units, making it hotter than the Naga Viper's 1,382,118 Scoville heat units.

I get a lot of chili heads asking if they even make a chili beer, when I answer there's some they tell me they've tried those varieties and they were not spicy enough.

I got the chinese 5 color peppers (I call them 5 stars) Their supposed to be like 30,000 scoville, their more for decoration then heat.

I'd like to get the seeds from some of those scorpion peppers myself. My wife grows some nice New Mexico chilies I've been saving the seeds from. This is one of the chilies used to make chili powder. They have a fresh chili powder sort of flavor to them. They might be good for some flavor,while maintaining some balance.

I agree.. a couple of seeds would be nice to have to try em next year.. ok off to google to find some

1st grown in NM? Dang,I wish I'd have known that. Ohiosteve,maybe I can find a way to send you a few? You just need one of those big a$$ flower pots like you put on the front porch to grow them in. My wife brings them in when it gets cold out. When they start going dormant,she cuts them back to about 11-12". In the spring,they come back to life,she feeds them with egg shell water & they go nuts all over again. This years biggest peppers to date.

Alrighty...I have nevered brewed in my life...so what do you all think of the 2 recipes i've formulated in my head, and thank you beersmith for the help =) :mug:

This first one I call satanic scorpion...IXVolt's comment was the inspiration.

Type: Extract
Date: 7/27/2011
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 50.9 %
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (60 min) Hops 45.4 IBU
0.25 oz Chinook [13.00%] (45 min) Hops 12.3 IBU
1.00 lb Trinidad scorpion (Boil 10.0 min) Misc (divided into 3rds, 1/3rd gets boiled, 1/3rd gets steeped, and 1/3rd gets added after second fermentation, in a 3rd container, this way the beer has the oppertunity to leech out the spicyness. Am worried if added during fermentation, the peppers may kill off the yeast!)
3.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 43.6 %
0.38 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 5.5 %
5.00 gal Poland Spring (R) Water
1 Pkgs Lalvin EC-1118 (Lallemand - Lalvin #EC-1118) Yeast-Wine

Beer Profile (aiming for)

Est Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.4 %
Bitterness: 57.7 IBU
Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 5.2 SRM

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar
Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 3.8 oz
Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F
Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Bottom of the bottle 2 random colored peppers from the bolivian rainbow and the chinese 5 color pepper plants, they are only 30,000 scoville, so purely for looks then heat.

As for the second recipe...I call it, A dark death.

Type: Extract
Date: 7/27/2011
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 lb Treacle (100.0 SRM) Extract 50.8 %
1.25 oz Pacific Gem [15.00%] (60 min) Hops 61.3 IBU
1.00 lb Trinidad scorpion (Boil 10.0 min) Misc (divided into 3rds, 1/3rd gets boiled, 1/3rd gets steeped, and 1/3rd gets added after second fermentation, in a 3rd container, this way the beer has the oppertunity to leech out the spicyness. Am worried if added during fermentation, the peppers may kill off the yeast!)
3.50 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 44.4 %
0.38 lb Corn Syrup (1.0 SRM) Sugar 4.8 %
5.00 gal Poland Spring (R) Water
1 Pkgs Lalvin EC-1118 (Lallemand - Lalvin #EC-1118) Yeast-Wine

Beer profile aiming for

Est Original Gravity: 1.064 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.3 %
Bitterness: 61.3 IBU
Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 30.3 SRM

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar
Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 3.8 oz
Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F
Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Not putting any peppers into the bottle. I want it to reach out and touch the drinker. Grab them by the throat and set them ablaze with no warning at all. I also want it to be bitter. I use guiness in chili's, and wanna try something new to take my chili to the next level. So if it's undrinkably hot, then I got a back up use for it. =):mug:

There's always going to be a "new hottest chilli" really, it's basically a case of growers comparing the size of their wangs. You can give me habanero's over these super hots any day...

Only thing I've known chilli being a major ingredient is Ginger Ale. You could try one of them and add it...I'd steep it in after fermentation, no doubt it will take the heat quite quickly! Would imagine backed up by a spice or two it'd be awesome.

Why not try chilli vodka as well? Just steep it in and keep it in a dark room for a month or two.

I don't see any good reason to use table sugar in those beers. I can see where the honey might add a nice flavor profile, but I'd use honey malt instead of actually honey instead.

For both recipes: less sugar, more malt. (the second doesnt have any malt?)

For recipe #1: Remove the honey, and the table sugar. Increase the light malt extract until you get close to where you want your gravity to be. If you want a really light watery beer, keep 1lb of your sugar. Steep 1/4lb to 1/2lb of honey malt in your boil water @ 155*F for 30 min before adding your malt extract.

For recipe #2: What are you going for here exactly? There's no barley (treacle is basically molasses), so it's not technically a beer, but it is a hopped fermentable something or another. Why don't you describe what you're aiming for so we can help you formulate something to match?

Seems like too little malt in those recipes to me.? Like most of the fermentables are sugar.

so 7.5 pounds of the malt for the satanic scorpion, and reduce the honey to half a pound sound right?

7 pounds of treacle 1.5 oz pacific gem and 2.25 pounds table surgar?

I would only add the peppers in secondary. Boiled peppers leave a vegatably taste that doesn't go very well with beer.

A pound is way, way too much for a 5 gallon batch even for plain old jalepenos. It's not a heat issue so much (if you like drinking hot sauce, more power to you) as a flavor issue. You won't taste much beer if you use a pound. Plus you'll waste some hard to get peppers.

I'd just put 3-4 peppers at the most in secondary. You'll get a nice back-of-the-throat burn without over-powering the beer. It'll be hot enough for you.

For recipe #1: Not really after a light watery beer, I wanted a good strong beer. I've tried to formulate them in the foreign extra stout style. I want it blonde in color, so you can see the hot peppers in the bottom. For this one, I'd like for 5.1 for color. 1.075 sg for the og, 1.017 SG for the fg. 68.9 ibu's. I'd like to get 5% abv for this one.

For recipe #2: Well I'd like to get a strong beer, stronger then the typical beer you can buy at the liquor store. I'd like it to be black in color. For this one I am aiming for og 1.075 SG, fg 1.018 SG, 30.0-45.0 SRM for color. 70.0 IBU's. 8.6% abv works for this one.

taste wise I'd like them to do more then just burn the back of your throat. I'd like for the beer to not be over powered, but I'd like the beer to hit your tongue, and you say that's good beer, then the burning kicks in, followed by an inferno. The reason for the corn sugar, is I'd like to have it carbonated, rather then flat. I just like carbonated beverages.

There's always going to be a "new hottest chilli" really, it's basically a case of growers comparing the size of their wangs. You can give me habanero's over these super hots any day...

Only thing I've known chilli being a major ingredient is Ginger Ale. You could try one of them and add it...I'd steep it in after fermentation, no doubt it will take the heat quite quickly! Would imagine backed up by a spice or two it'd be awesome.

Why not try chilli vodka as well? Just steep it in and keep it in a dark room for a month or two.

Cause vodka is illegal to distill here in the us. I'd like to make my own, there is an old time applejack recipe, where it is kept in a keg, allowed to slush or freeze, if it slushes they scoop the slush off and toss it away, where if it freezes, they syphone off the pure liquor. I could try that, and it should be legal since I'm not using a still. Thank for the idea.

Have you eaten a Trinidad yet? I haven't but I've been making sauce out of my jalokias all summer. If the Trinidad's are anything like the jolokias, than a pound in five gallons will never let you taste the beer. It won't be as bad as the sauce I've been making, but I don't expect people to drink my sauce.

When I said 3-4 peppers I assumed you wanted it to hurt a bit.

If you go any hotter, you won't get the "creeper burn" you describe above. It'll just hit full force from the start and you'll never taste the beer.

You could, of course, prove me wrong and send a sample.:p

Edit:
Since you brought up Apple Jack:
Two or three habeneros added to an apple cider is really nice.

Have you eaten a Trinidad yet? I haven't but I've been making sauce out of my jalokias all summer. If the Trinidad's are anything like the jolokias, than a pound in five gallons will never let you taste the beer. It won't be as bad as the sauce I've been making, but I don't expect people to drink my sauce.

When I said 3-4 peppers I assumed you wanted it to hurt a bit.

If you go any hotter, you won't get the "creeper burn" you describe above. It'll just hit full force from the start and you'll never taste the beer.

You could, of course, prove me wrong and send a sample.:p

Edit:
Since you brought up Apple Jack:
Two or three habeneros added to an apple cider is really nice.

It'll take me awhile, on disability so don't make much money, and probably take me forever to gather supplies, but I'd be more then happy to send ya a few bottles when I get them brewed up.

Grendal said:
Cause vodka is illegal to distill here in the us. I'd like to make my own

you could infuse with those peppers. Not illegal, just buy the vodka of your choice, pour into an infusion jug, add peppers, a little garlic......very little!.....and many recipes call for carrots. Let sit for a week two 10 days, and consume at will. Check for different recipes on line, there's many different ways to do it. BTW, I'd LOVE to try some samples with those 1.4 mill scoville peppers!

With all due respect, your recipes look atrocious. You should try brewing without peppers to get a feel for the ingredients, then later, add heat.

There is almost no malt in either recipe, which will be HUGELY imbalanced with the large bittering hop additions. Add some heat, and the likely result will not be pleasant at all.

Start with an established, balanced recipe - perhaps a blonde ale. Add heat cautiously. A pound of the hottest peppers known to man will make your beer undrinkable. Try adding 3 to 6 peppers during fermentation.

With all due respect, your recipes look atrocious. You should try brewing without peppers to get a feel for the ingredients, then later, add heat.

There is almost no malt in either recipe, which will be HUGELY imbalanced with the large bittering hop additions. Add some heat, and the likely result will not be pleasant at all.

Start with an established, balanced recipe - perhaps a blonde ale. Add heat cautiously. A pound of the hottest peppers known to man will make your beer undrinkable. Try adding 3 to 6 peppers during fermentation.

Kinda figured they'd be pretty bad, since I've never brewed. Well guess I'm in the right spot to learn.

For recipe #1: Not really after a light watery beer, I wanted a good strong beer. I've tried to formulate them in the foreign extra stout style. I want it blonde in color, so you can see the hot peppers in the bottom. For this one, I'd like for 5.1 for color. 1.075 sg for the og, 1.017 SG for the fg. 68.9 ibu's. I'd like to get 5% abv for this one.

For recipe #2: Well I'd like to get a strong beer, stronger then the typical beer you can buy at the liquor store. I'd like it to be black in color. For this one I am aiming for og 1.075 SG, fg 1.018 SG, 30.0-45.0 SRM for color. 70.0 IBU's. 8.6% abv works for this one.

taste wise I'd like them to do more then just burn the back of your throat. I'd like for the beer to not be over powered, but I'd like the beer to hit your tongue, and you say that's good beer, then the burning kicks in, followed by an inferno. The reason for the corn sugar, is I'd like to have it carbonated, rather then flat. I just like carbonated beverages.

I've never worked with peppers in my beer, so that part you'll just have to figure out for yourself, but I think I can help get the rest of the recipes close to where you want them. With some experience in brewing, and playing around with flavors I'm sure you'll be able to get it from what I've provided to what you really want.

Stouts get a lot of their characteristics from dark roasted malts, so trying to get a "blond stout" might be a bit of a stretch, but it makes me think of bodington's pub ale, which has a similar body, and is usually packaged the same way.

Santize all of your equipment with a no rinse sanitizer like star-san or iodophor
You'll need a basic brewing kit to get started with this. I also suggest reading through a how to brew guide before following this recipe in case there's anything I missed.

Recipe 1:
Bring 3 gallons of water up to 160*F
Add the following grains to a muslin bag and steep in the water (which should drop to the 155*F. Keep the water at 155-158 for 30 minutes.

1/4 lb. Honey Malt
1/8 lb. 60 L Crystal Malt

Pull the bag of grains out and rinse them into the pot with 1 cup of hot water.

Bring the liquid up to a boil then turn off the burner and add 6 lbs of light dry malt extract. Stir until the extract is fully dissolved.

Bring it back up to a boil and as soon as it starts boiling add 1 oz of Warrior hops

Add another 1/2 oz of fuggles (hops) after 45 minutes (last 15 minutes of boil)

Add the last 1/2 oz of fuggles (hops) afte 55 minutes (last 5 minutes of boil)

With 2 minutes remaining this might be a good time to add a portion of your chilis.

Total boil time should be 60 minutes.

Add 2 gallons of cold water (8lbs of ice = 1 gallon of water if you can get sanitary RO ice) to your primary fermentation vessel, then dump in the freshly boiled wort. Let the wort cool to 80*F or less (I would put my ale pale in a cooler full of ice when I was doing extract beers).

Put your lid on and cover the hole in the airlock with your thumb (sanitized!) and shake the crap out of the bucket for 45 seconds to add oxygen to the solution.

Once at 80*F or less add 1 packet of nottingham or an english ale yeast of your choosing.

Then cover with your sanitized lid with an airlock filled with cheap vodka, star-san, or iodophor.

I'm not entirely sure how, but you'll want to sanitize your chilis (cover with water and bring to a boil for 2-5 minutes is the best I can think of, but that will probably add at least 1/2 a gallon of water) and add them to your fermenting beer 1-2 weeks after fermentation has started.

After a total of 2-4 weeks it's time to bottle. Dissolve (by boiling) 3/4 cup of corn sugar (dextrose) into 1/2 a cup of water and add to your bottling bucket. Siphon your fermented beer on top of the syrup (this is what is going to carbonate your beer). Bottle and cap. Let the beer sit in the bottles at room temp for 1 week to a month, then sample.

That should give you something like this:
5 Gallons
SG: 1.065
Est FG: 1.016
ABV: 5.5%
IBU: 38.4 (precieved bitterness will be higher with the addition of chilis so I left it short of your request intentionally)
Color: 7.9 SRM

Fermentables:
6 Lbs Light Dry Malt Extract (Light DME)
1/4 lb Honey Malt
1/8 lb Crystal 60L

Hops:
1oz Warrior
1oz fuggles

Yeast:
Nottingham or English ale yeast

Other:
Chilis

Recipe 2:
Follow the instructions above with the following ingredients
5 Gallons
SG: 1.078
Est FG: 1.020
ABV: 7.7%
Color: 35.4 SRM (black)

Fermentables:
8lbs Light Dry Malt Extract
(steeping grains)
1lb Flaked Oats
1/2 lb Roasted Barley
1/4 lb Black Patent
1/4 lb Chocolate Malt

Hops:
2oz Kent golding @ 60 min (full duration of boil)
1 oz Fuggles @ 30 min
1oz Fuggles @ 10 min (last 10 minutes of boil)

Yeast:
Same as before nottigham or english ale yeast

Notes:
I left this one a little lower on the ABV than you were looking for because extract beers are notorious for not fermenting out as far leaving your beer on the sweet side, so I'd avoid higher gravity beers until you're prepared or you might end up with a much higher FG than you want.

Something to note, both beers should be fermented in the mid to lower 60's for optimal flavor profiles.

I was just looking at BYO article about brewing with chilis and their recipes had 45-50 jalapenios for a 5 gallon batch, or 8-10 habinaros. This should give you some sort of idea about how many to add.

HexKrak, how many years you been brewing, cause your a miracal worker.

I know just the place to get it all. The best part it comes with a how to brew dvd =) Thanks so much for helping with the recipes, and thank you everyone for your input.

I've only been brewing for about a year, but hanging around here it seems like a lot longer :) (The complete joy of home brewing by Charlie Papazian didn't hurt beat the learning curve either).

I've only been brewing for about a year, but hanging around here it seems like a lot longer :) (The complete joy of home brewing by Charlie Papazian didn't hurt beat the learning curve either).

I think somewhere I got that book sitting around.

:off:
There a difference between crushed and uncrushed grain?

Yes, uncrushed grain won't make beer until it's crushed. :D

A lot of your basic questions can be answered by reading John Palmer's "How to Brew". It's basically the bible for starting out in this hobby and it's free. Here's the link if you haven't already seen it:

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

Welcome to the obsession.

Yeah, malted grain is typically stored whole to help protect against oxidation, then crushed just before use to help extract all the sugary goodness (and enzymes). When you purchase grain from a home brew store they'll generally allow you to opt to have it crushed at that time. When I'm ready to brew I take my list of ingredients down to my Local home brew shop and hand it to them. They dig the grain out of air tight buckets grind it bag it and that's what I take home to brew with.

i don't know if this has been addressed but there is not enough alcohol in beer to keep the peppers you want to add at bottling from going bad.

I've got a Butch T in hydro that should be at fruiting stage pretty soon. I've grown them before, and do not recommend using them to make beer. I'd use a pepper with more flavor, perhaps a fataali or yellow 7 pod, and would only use a few peppers in secondary.

I've got a high tolerance for peppers, and wouldn't try to drink a beer made with a pound of Ts.

Capsaicin is not soluble in water, so if you put the peppers into your wort you will get NO heat. Id make a thick paste with them and and put them in secondary like Raven suggested.

You have to remember that a lot of organic chemical compounds from fruits, vegitables, herbs ect are only soluble in alcohol. The weaker the alochol content the longer it takes.

If you want to make a chili vodka just split the peppers in half, wrap up with butter mulsin throw them into a jug and add vodka.... its just like making a emerald dragon..

Capsaicin is not soluble in water, so if you put the peppers into your wort you will get NO heat. Id make a thick paste with them and and put them in secondary like Raven suggested.

You have to remember that a lot of organic chemical compounds from fruits, vegitables, herbs ect are only soluble in alcohol. The weaker the alochol content the longer it takes.

If you want to make a chili vodka just split the peppers in half, wrap up with butter mulsin throw them into a jug and add vodka.... its just like making a emerald dragon..

The thought of try to get them into the water is to remove other Capsaicinoids from the pepper. There is a total of 6 Capsaicinoids in peppers.

I am try to get out of it the flavor compounds of the chili. Similar to water cracked cured olives, where they are soaked in water for 6-8 days, in order to remove the oleuropein, wich makes olives bitter. The peppers are not very big, maybe 30 of them in a pound.

The flavor is good, least when you taste it at first. To me their kinda sweet till the heat kicks in. The thought about adding them to the water, is to leech that flavor out. So basically it's like drinking a pepper. The reason I was thinking a pound besides size of the pepper, I worry of the beer over powering the flavor of the pepper. I'd like a nice pepper flavor, bitter hops, and a slight malty flavor, then the heat kicks in.

Figured, if you cut it into 3rds you get 10 peppers adding flavor without heat, 10 peppers adding a different type of flavor and heat, and 10 more adding just heat. It was the theory of it anyway.

Ghost chilies are the same way even when made into a sauce. My son bought some,& I just had to try it,being a chili lover. The flavor was nice & roasty/smoky,almost sweet pepper flavor. Then boy,that heat comes on like a runaway truck! It gave me the hiccups in no time,my mouth was turning to molten cellophane. And that was just one drop on the tip of my finger! So I think it wouldn't take too many to get the flavor/heat out of them...:drunk:

The thought of try to get them into the water is to remove other Capsaicinoids from the pepper. There is a total of 6 Capsaicinoids in peppers.

I am try to get out of it the flavor compounds of the chili. Similar to water cracked cured olives, where they are soaked in water for 6-8 days, in order to remove the oleuropein, wich makes olives bitter. The peppers are not very big, maybe 30 of them in a pound.

The flavor is good, least when you taste it at first. To me their kinda sweet till the heat kicks in. The thought about adding them to the water, is to leech that flavor out. So basically it's like drinking a pepper. The reason I was thinking a pound besides size of the pepper, I worry of the beer over powering the flavor of the pepper. I'd like a nice pepper flavor, bitter hops, and a slight malty flavor, then the heat kicks in.

Figured, if you cut it into 3rds you get 10 peppers adding flavor without heat, 10 peppers adding a different type of flavor and heat, and 10 more adding just heat. It was the theory of it anyway.

Ah my bad, I thought you were just going for the heat aspect. I'm curious to see how this turns out for you because I might be making a batch. I'm at the point now where I can handle jolikia's with a minimal amount of steam coming out of my ears.

Use 2 or 3 chopped peppers in a hop bag in secondary (or primary) and keep tasting until it gets to the heat level you want. 1 pound of peppers would be absolutely horrible. I made a 3 gallon pepper beer with 2 habaneros (lower on the Scoville scale) done this way and the beer was very spicy at 1 week. And I love heat - including ghost peppers.

I am try to get out of it the flavor compounds of the chili. Similar to water cracked cured olives, where they are soaked in water for 6-8 days, in order to remove the oleuropein, wich makes olives bitter.

I'd like to learn more about this. You may be on to something I'd like to try in sauce making. Do you have a good link?

I'd like to learn more about this. You may be on to something I'd like to try in sauce making. Do you have a good link?

I wrote an article on home curing olives, it's 19 pages long. A small section using my great great grandfather's method is very short.

Water Curing "Smashed" or "Cracked" Olives is great for large green olives.

Wash olives. With stone or mallet, crack the meat of the olive, taking care not to bruise the pit. Put the olives in a pan and cover with cold water for 6-8 days, changing the water twice a day, morning and evening, until the bitterness is gone (taste to test). When ready, fill the pan with brine * (about 1 part sea salt to 10 parts water) and lemon juice (about 1 part lemon juice to 10 parts water), transfer to jars if desired, and refrigerate for several hours before eating. *great great grandfathers method.

There is a lot more, and sorry for the delay, I kept running out of hosting space.

http://www.freewebtown.com/grendal/library/19 pages on olives.rtf

edit-I think by soaking the peppers, rather then changing the water, just use enough water to cover them. It would leech out the flavor. I do think it might take longer with peppers then olives.

I wrote an article on home curing olives, it's 19 pages long. A small section using my great great grandfather's method is very short.

There is a lot more, and sorry for the delay, I kept running out of hosting space.

http://www.freewebtown.com/grendal/library/19 pages on olives.rtf

edit-I think by soaking the peppers, rather then changing the water, just use enough water to cover them. It would leech out the flavor. I do think it might take longer with peppers then olives.

I couldn't edit the above link, but you can find the same file here.

http://livindolcevita.wordpress.com/2012/02/16/everything-on-olives-from-the-tree-to-table/

I know off topic, but I wanted to make sure the info is still good.

Back