Southern Homebrew as your LHBS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooothru

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I like to 'buy local' and support my LHBS as much as possible, but sometimes the selection and price is just too good to pass up. In addition to brewing beer I also vint quite a bit of wine from kits (actually got into home brewing in the 70s because of my wine making). The online offers are just too good to ignore (price and selection) even after paying to ship those heavy boxes half way across the country. For the last few years I've ordered quite a bit from Southern Homebrew in New Smyrna Beach, FL, whose minimum advertised pricing (MAP) is literally the cheapest around and their selection is tremendous. They also have indoor sales at steep discount but the pricing there is not very transparent. They advertise "20% off, with an additional 5% for cash" purchases, but don't indicate off "what price".

As luck would have it, we'll be traveling down to Florida soon in Olaf, the Prairie Schooner (RV) and plan to pass near New Smyrna Beach enroute. I'm wondering if anyone who lives near the Space Coast uses Southern Homebrew as their LHBS, and whether or not it's worth my while to make a stop and load up on a few wine kits? Their mail order facility and the commercial storefront are two separate operations that have separate pricing structures, but if they closely approximate each other I would surely like to avoid the $25-$35 shipping costs (each) for a few kits.

Back