Topsflow/Steelhead-2.0 pumps and rust

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsprinceiii

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Have not posted anything in quite a while, as family obligations were a priority for the last 4 or 5 years.
Dusting things off, and putting things back together. I have a 20G Electric Herms setup.
I purchased 2 Steelhead (rebranded, verified with TopsFlo) in 2016. I installed them in 2018, replacing
my March pumps. Used them twice. I always cleaned them (PBW), rinsed and sanitized with Starsan, followed by
a few minutes under a vacuum to remove residual water. Never have I ever removed the head to clean
these, or my March Pumps, maybe mistakenly...
Upon setting things back up, fired up the pumps and to my surprise nothing. Proceeded to take them apart and
to my surprise I find "rust". It appears the thrust washer (stainless) rusted. I contacted Northern Brewer (place purchased from)
and was told that the rust was my fault. Was further instructed that after "each" brew day I should "completely"
disassemble, clean and let dry before reassembling. I contacted Topsflow and they confirmed the pumps were rebranded.
I shared with them the concern about the rust, and asked if I could by a new head, or minimally the impeller and was told
that they do not sell parts and that I could purchase a new pump.

I wanted to share my experience with Topsflow pumps, and encourage anyone using them to check the status of your pumps.
I have since replaced these with Riptides.

1678936344214.png

1678936366746.png

1678936391150.png

I have only taken mine apart once in 6 years but I use it more often than once a month. I also run citric acid every 6 months so it would take care of any minor surface rust. If you don't use it for a few months at a time, I'd say it would be a good idea to fully take it apart to be sure it's all dry for storage.

Being curious I took apart the March pumps that I used previously. Overall they look like new. The Steelhead 2.0 pumps were cleaned before putting away for the last few years. They were packed up close to 3 months after the last time they were used and stored inside the kettles. Obviously there had to be some water in them before I tore everything down, with that amount being trace. Just never even gave it a thought that I would have to completely disassemble the head prior to storing let alone after every use as suggested.

Looking at these pumps only thing I can assume is that the thrust washer was not stainless as that is where the rust appears to have started and that the washer for the most part is where the most rust was. As dissapointed I am in the pumps, I accept the blame for them rusting.

Thanks Bobby!

Back