Riptide pump bearing noise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dland

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Started vorlauf today and my pump was making a lot more noise than usual. After finishing vorlauf, I took off pump head and all looked fine. Ran the motor only and determined noise was coming from the motor, not the pump head.

I did not want to get too far into it today as am in middle of a batch, but took pump apart enough to open a gap in back plate and sprayed a little penetrating grease in there. Put back together and motor is still making noise, but not quite as much, so some got in there.

Will do a full disassembley when not in use, but wonder if anyone else has experienced this, and what they did about it.

Pump still works fine, but one of the benefits of Riptide over old March it replaced was the lack of noise. Besides, my guess is it will only get worse if not addressed.

Can you put a recording of the noise up? On a number of occasions I've run into electric motors used in humid conditons that have had dust and crud build up in the integrated fan and the small imbalance it creates generate a lot of rough noise.
sprayed a little penetrating grease in there
I hope you didn't spray WD40 into the bearing... That stuff might seem to help in the short term, but it washes the grease out.
:mug:

Can you put a recording of the noise up? On a number of occasions I've run into electric motors used in humid conditons that have had dust and crud build up in the integrated fan and the small imbalance it creates generate a lot of rough noise.

I hope you didn't spray WD40 into the bearing... That stuff might seem to help in the short term, but it washes the grease out.
Sorry, low tech here, posting a recording would be difficult for me. But fan is clear, cover for it has to come off to access main motor bolts.

Not WD-40, Kimbal Midwest delayed viscosity sprayed penetrating grease.

I was thinking the same thing.
WD40 is not a very good lubricant.
The advantage is that the straw allows you to et into tighter spaces.

I use a fishing reel lubricater (mini oil can with a long tip) filled with a light (0 - 5W) synthetic oil.
It only takes a drop and it penetrates pretty well.

I had bearings fail due to liquid getting behind the head when I had a clog. The bearings are really easy to replace. You'll need bearings like these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XCX354W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and a puller like this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GFLBY1R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I think I may have some of those in stock if size is correct.., somewhere, have pullers for sure. Glad to hear bearings are replaceable easily.

I'm a bit surprised that the little motor in a Riptide has bearings instead of bushings. The bushings on my March 809HS have been in use for about 150 batches and they're nice and quiet and free-spinning. I just apply a couple of drops of the light machine oil every few years.

If the Riptide uses sealed bearings and they're making noise, they're probably toast. There is no option but replacement. If you can get the bearings out, you should be able to see the bearing numbers to enable getting replacements.

I'm a bit surprised that the little motor in a Riptide has bearings instead of bushings. The bushings on my March 809HS have been in use for about 150 batches and they're nice and quiet and free-spinning. I just apply a couple of drops of the light machine oil every few years.

If the Riptide uses sealed bearings and they're making noise, they're probably toast. There is no option but replacement. If you can get the bearings out, you should be able to see the bearing numbers to enable getting replacements.
Here is another link to a bearing supplier that I have used: Ball Bearings online:Buy VXB bearing online

I think I may have some of those in stock if size is correct.., somewhere, have pullers for sure. Glad to hear bearings are replaceable easily.

Those are the ones I ordered so you should be good to go. Its probably a 20 minute job if that.

I took it apart after done brewing. Front bearing got some crud/liquid in it. Would be a better designed pump if there was a seal at front of housing.

The bearings matt_m linked above should work, the ones on pump said 608-RZ. If removing bearing, there is a E clip behind them that would make it easier to pull them if removed. Back fan is pressed on, and can be gently drifted off if one wants to get at back. The drive magnet is held on with an Allen(hex) wrench set screw, and easy to remove.

For now, I removed the seal, which is easy to do with excato knife or similar, and cleaned and greased bearing. It runs quieter and I know will be OK for many brews. Will order replacement bearing(s) so I can get to run in quiet mode again.
IMG_2699.JPG
IMG_2703.JPG
IMG_2704.JPG

I had to replace the bearing. Found 608 stainless 8mm bore for $10. Its been a while since I took it apart and don't remember how the washers go in the housing. There are fiber washers and 1 or 2 wave washers? Can you tell me the washer sequence?

Latest posts

Back