Riptide Pump, filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razorback_Jack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,
I’ve been using the Riptide pump for the past two years, and only had to replace the impeller once... Blichmann sent me a free replacement, quickly and with no problem. I don’t circulate while boiling but I do whirlpool hops. Circulation goes through the Riptide, through the Exchilerator counterflow, back to the Mash and Boil. I do not currently use any screen or filter, but I’m wondering if a piece of undissolved hop pellet could be what damaged that impeller. No problem since that one time, and I’ve done several brews since, but now I steep hops for 15-20 mins before whirlpooling. Should be plenty dissolved by then.
Friday I brewed a grapefruit IPA, with 1oz of grapefruit peel in the last five minutes of boil. Before whirlpooling, I decided to strain those out because I was afraid of them screwing up the Riptide. So... anyone ever have that issue? Maybe I should think about one of those big tri-clamp filters, the foot-long ones, in line before wort gets to my pump?

Back