Too early to cold crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakedawgs

Reaction score
My 6% IPA has been in fermentation for about 10 days. Just checked and it is fermented out to where it should be. Should I let it sit for a few more days for the yeast to clean up or can I cold crash for a few days. Will cold crashing prevent the yeast from finishing?

THANKS

If the yeast is not done doing its thing then yes, CC will prevent it from doing that since the yeast will go dormant.

I'd let it sit two-three days more, but that's me. Others will probably say go ahead.

Your yeast may not have read the memo that it should ferment out to 77%, or 79%. Don't cold crash until the the SG is stable.

From White Labs:
Diacetyl is a natural byproduct of yeast. It is most commonly recognized as a butterscotch or buttered popcorn flavor in the beer. To minimize the diacetyl attributes in beer, it’s recommended that the fermenting wort rest once the beer has reached terminal gravity for 48 hours at 62-70 degrees prior to crashing the temperature. This stage allows to yeast to reabsorb the diacetyl.

So, Make sure it has hit stable FG (tested a couple times over a couple days to ensure no change) then give it two more days.

If the yeast is not done doing its thing then yes, CC will prevent it from doing that since the yeast will go dormant.

I'd let it sit two-three days more, but that's me. Others will probably say go ahead.

^^^ this. At 6% you'll want to err in favor of more time than not enough. I'd go at least 10 days - 2 weeks before cold-crashing. And when it came time to c-c, I'd stick it in the fridge for 24 hrs, then add gelatin and let it sit in the fridge another 3-4 days. I've done it many times and with careful racking, beer is super-clear.

I will CC this weekend. When should I add gelatin, when I start the CC?

Add it when final cc temp has been reached.

yeah, this. but to further explain, basically you want the beer to be cold (typically below 50F i believe) before you add the gelatin. the reason being that the particles that cause the chill haze won't really form bonds above that temp, and therefore you risk the gelatin not dropping out all of those particles. So it's usually suggested to cold crash for 24 hours, then add the gelatin, then wait another 48 hours. Then bottle/keg.

As far as the time frame goes, honestly as others have said the best way to tell is 1) by taking a gravity reading, then wait two days, then take another reading. if they are the same then wait another couple of days to ensure the yeast cleaned up, then cold crash. but also 2) by tasting it. if you've hit stable FG but it doesn't taste too great (although it should pretty much taste like a warm, flat version of the final product), then you may want to wait another week or so and hope that those off-flavors will be scrubbed out by the yeast that haven't flocced out yet. And also just getting to know that you're consistent with your techniques and processes will help you know when your beer should be packaged. Until you have enough experience to know for sure it's ready, patience is your best friend.

[...] by taking a gravity reading, then wait two days, then take another reading. if they are the same then wait another couple of days to ensure the yeast cleaned up, then cold crash.
If your brewing practices are sound, there's no need to wait an additional couple of days. Stable reading over two-day has already satisfied the 48 hours that White Labs recommends in the post above. Start your cold crash.

If your brewing practices are sound, there's no need to wait an additional couple of days. Stable reading over two-day has already satisfied the 48 hours that White Labs recommends in the post above. Start your cold crash.

yeah, completely agree. i guess i should've really emphasized that the advice was only for someone new to the game.

Back