Should I cold crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puzx

Reaction score
Hello,
I recently brewed a Pacific Coast IPA (11 days ago). 4 days ago I dry hopped using a dry hop filter canister thing. I am wondering if I should cold crash or not? I don’t care if beer is crystal clear or not, but do like the added benefit of a cleaner beer (eliminating bunch of particles floating around my beer). I have read that cold crashing can hurt the yeast and produce some off flavors. I have also read that if I cold crash, I should do it in small increments (which will probably add a bunch more days before I can keg and taste my beer). Is it worth it? Should I just directly cold crash it at 38 degrees for a couple days? should I cold crash in small 3 degrees increments until I reach 38 as I have read? (currently fermenting/conditioning at 70 degrees)
Thanks!

I don't cold crash. I just wait for everything to fall out of suspension till it's a clean and clear as I desire. That might be 10 days from pitch or 6 weeks from pitch. Usually when it starts to clear it happens very quick.

However I also don't dry hop my IPA's. So whether more time will alter the fresh hoppy taste you want or not, I don't know.

What is your fermenter? can you add co2 pressure to offset the vacuum created during temp drop? If so cold crash. If not then keg, then after its chilled for a few days with co2 on it, pour the first pint and dump it out, likely it will be sediment. After the first pint use your judgment to see if it visibly clears up some. Pour a couple ounces at a time and taste it.

if you are able to cold crash you should. i have never heard of off flavors from cold crashing
you dont have to go that cold low 40s will drop everything out also imo
the main issue is suck back as mentioned before

What is your fermenter? can you add co2 pressure to offset the vacuum created during temp drop? If so cold crash. If not then keg, then after its chilled for a few days with co2 on it, pour the first pint and dump it out, likely it will be sediment. After the first pint use your judgment to see if it visibly clears up some. Pour a couple ounces at a time and taste it.
I just use a simple bucket, but I like the other idea of just kind of cold crashing it on the keg for a few days then dump the first couple pours. Beer will have to sit on the keg for a few days to carbonate anyway, so get both things done at the same time!

I just use a simple bucket, but I like the other idea of just kind of cold crashing it on the keg for a few days then dump the first couple pours. Beer will have to sit on the keg for a few days to carbonate anyway, so get both things done at the same time!
You can also consider a floating dip tube, so you drink the beer from the top of the keg first, where it has cleared the most.

I don't disagree with you but if he's gonna wait he needs to pull that dry hop canister out which would be another opportunity for oxidation. Dry hops have been in there for 4 or 5 days now so time to move to the next step. An ale yeast fermented at proper temps should be done, I start soft crashing at day 10, dry hop cool for 3 days, cold crash for 2 days, keg.

I cold crash everything that I brew. However I carbonate and cold crash at the same time to prevent suck back. I have never had off flavors from doing it that way however I have questioned lack of expected hop aroma. But I don't understand how cold crashing could diminish the hop aroma yet cold storage and serving would not.

Latest posts

Back