What's your Favorite Brew Store???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willy

Reaction score
Curious what other Brewers like. What's your go to brew store? More beer? Northern Brewer, Kegland, Howdy Brewer? Personally, I like Howdy Brewer lately and have used all of the above mail order places

I"ve been buying almost all of my supplies from Ritebrew.com except for wine kits, but when I buy wine kits I almost always get them from morewine.com. My next order though I'm going to get through brewhardware.com. I've been checking out their site, and I like what I see.

My LHBS: https://www.jakeswindsorbrew.com/ ..They don't sell online but I like having them around. I'm in Canada, but if I were in a US town that had no LHBS, I'd support the store that supports the homebrewing community more than any other I've seen:
https://www.brewhardware.com/
Your post was timely...if you haven't yet, check out this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/an-appeal-to-northeast-u-s-homebrewers.732367/
:mug:
I will check them out. Just read the thread you provided - we no longer have a good local (Charlotte NC) home brew retailer... Last one closed summer 2023

I like ritebrew as well (La Chute Wi)... Nice quality grains every time.
La Chute, I like that, but it's really "Little Chute". French explorers who established a trading post there called it Le Petite Chute.

Yes, Rite Brew is the spot I shop for most of my needs. I buy brew hardware from bobby at Brewhardware but I'll try some of his brewing ingredients next time.

No nearby LHBS so:

BrewHardware
Ritebrew
Great Fermentations
Morebeer

Pretty much in that order.

Sometimes Amazon for an emergency dry yeast, dme for starters, or bottle caps… prices aren’t great but I can usually get it overnight

I'm blessed with two fine local shops: FH Steinbart, reportedly the oldest (>100 years!) in the country, where I've been shopping for 35 years, and MainBrew. On line, I favor brewhardware.com where I make most of my equipment purchases.
I used to live in Beaverton before moving to Charlotte. I miss having good local options, for awhile we (you) even had Brew Brothers. Now i am in Charlotte, a most awesome pace to live but the only local shop is the far end of town from me, maybe 50 minutes one way. I found Hop Craft to be an excellent resource. Pricing i much better than More Beer and Northern Brewer and free shipping with a large enough order, don't recall what it is though, maybe $75, I just order multiple batches at one time with a little planning. Quick delivery as well.

Brew hardware for online purchasing

Tru Bru my new local home brew store after Northern Brewer closed there retail store here in Wisconsin

Here in NW Washington, many of the stores have closed. Fortunately, I live within 20 minutes of one that I have been shopping at for years, NW Brewers supply in Burlington WA. Started by Larry in Anacortes. Sadly, Larry passed a few years ago, but his son Trevor kept the shop going. They are well stocked and friendly--prerequisites for success. I hope they can continue, as I really enjoy stopping in and browsing/chatting, both hard to do mail-order.

I'm blessed with two fine local shops: FH Steinbart, reportedly the oldest (>100 years!) in the country, where I've been shopping for 35 years, and MainBrew. On line, I favor brewhardware.com where I make most of my equipment purchases.
Same here as far as the lhbs. Occasionally I have to turn to the web. When I do I’ve always had great luck with Austin homebrew and Williams. Both have great customer service.

In Ohio, Label peelers in Kent offers great Value, also Home Brew Ohio in Sandusky has recently closed their retail store but I can pickup supplies at their warehouse. They both have good rates for shipping.

Brewing for me has multiple levels, one being to keep it cheaper than buying craft beer. The ridiculous costs for online brew shopping is a turnoff. $2.29lb for Briess 2-row? I could probably buy craft beer for cheaper than the online prices I've experienced. Since there are no brew shops near where I live, I changed up my recipes. I used to create my recipe then go to MoreBeer and make it happen. Now, I buy bulk base malt ($1.21lb) and look for specialty grains when the health food store has some. I grow my own hops.

As far as yeast, again I use what the health food store has at the time. I will not buy yeast online anymore. When you receive that pack of dry yeast with a "best use by" date only a few days away (if not expired) and feel the back of a UPS truck on a summer day at 4 PM, there is no way it's to par for doing a good job. Try this with liquid yeast! Poor AA is probably the hardest thing for most home brewers to control. We usually can't fix it and just go with the result. Why mess around with your yeast?

When you receive that pack of dry yeast with a "best use by" date only a few days away (if not expired) and feel the back of a UPS truck on a summer day at 4 PM, there is no way it's to par for doing a good job.
I've never had a pack of dry yeast fail, and I'm pretty sure it would take temperatures much higher than the back of a UPS truck on a summer day to hurt dry yeast. That's kind of the point of drying it.

I've never had a pack of dry yeast fail, and I'm pretty sure it would take temperatures much higher than the back of a UPS truck on a summer day to hurt dry yeast. That's kind of the point of drying it.
Why is dry yeast in coolers when you buy them? Dry yeast can die if too hot. Yeast is a living organism that requires a specific temperature range to survive. The ideal temperature for dry yeast is between 38°F and 50°F. If exposed to temperatures above 55°F, the yeast may start to deteriorate or die.

High temperatures can cause the yeast to dehydrate, denature, generate off-flavors/aromas, and affect the quality. Temperatures above 65°F can significantly reduce the viability and activity of the yeast. If dry yeast is at temperatures above 75°F for an extended period, it's likely to be dead or nearly dead.

I've never had dry yeast "fail" either, but every home brewer has had a batch with off flavors, poor attenuation, or failures to reach OG/FG. Yeast issues?

I found myself going to brewhardware.com for....hardware

Ritebrew for yeast and water addtions.

Any of the big names for kits that are on sale.

Grains...depending on what I need and what is on sale. I have ordered from brewhardware and a few of the big names.

Hops...Yakima Valley and northwesthopsfarm.com

The ideal temperature for dry yeast is between 38°F and 50°F. If exposed to temperatures above 55°F, the yeast may start to deteriorate or die.
Source? From Fermentis website:

Storage

For less than 6 months: the product must be stored below 24°C. For more than 6 months: the product must be stored below 15°C. For short periods not exceeding 7 days there is an exception to these rules.

24C = 75F
15C = 59F

It isn't. Seriously. Yes it can die if it gets too hot. Too hot being something like 170F a lot higher than 75F.
haha...from your own cite... "For less than 6 months: the product must be stored below 24°C. (75*F)."

The beauty about home brewing is you can buy dry yeast from the LHBS that wasn't stored cool, throw it in the back seat of the hot car all day (week?), attempt to brew a 8% Belgian Saison and end up with a 3% beer like drink....AND still fool your buddies.

my LHBS https://aslove2brew.myshopify.com/ for online I like more beer and label peelers
That is my LHBS as well, I've been going to him for the past 3 years to buy grains in bulk but found lately that his 50 lb 2-row sacks are more expensive than morebeer. I'm hoping his costs come down but probably unlikely with the economy.. I'd prefer to support him over the big online guys.

Latest posts

Back