Fermentation started 16 days ago, should I cold crash now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali01

Reaction score
It's in a carboy and I don't have enough equipment for sampling without introducing oxygen, should I wait a few more days or should I cold crash now? I'm aiming for the maximum yeast clean up of the off flavors. Og was 1.032, I intentionally aimed for a lower og than the original 1.055 of the recipe cause I wanted less alcohol and less work for the yeast, I pitched a whole packet of s04 in the 3 gallon wort, so I think I've pitched more than enough

How long has it been fermenting, and at what temperature? Do you have an airlock or anything that you can see bubbling?
I'm not sure, I wasn't home, but I guess it was bubbling for about 6 days top

Still not sure how long it's been fermenting. Does "started 16" mean November 16, as in four weeks ago? If so, then you're probably good to go, but I guess it depends on temperature and it wouldn't hurt to check the gravity.

Still not sure how long it's been fermenting. Does "started 16" mean November 16, as in four weeks ago? If so, then you're probably good to go, but I guess it depends on temperature and it wouldn't hurt to check the gravity.
Oh right!! I forgot to type days, I'll edit the subject now

It's in a carboy and I don't have enough equipment for sampling without introducing oxygen
You can remove the airlock (leave the stopper) and snake a skinny vinyl hose down the hole, and suck some beer out (suck siphon) for testing.
Even if you have to remove the stopper, a carboy with a narrow opening doesn't let all that much air in during the 30 seconds it takes to pull a sample.

If you have a double-drilled stopper, stick a racking cane (or a piece of stiff tubing) in one hole, then apply some CO2 pressure through the 2nd one, pushing out that sample. Even less air exposure that way.

Besides, chances are it's done fermenting after 16 days, so you're probably ready to package it, which exposes the beer to air anyway, unless you've found a way around that dilemma.

Last edited:
Given all the info you've shared so far, package the beer right now. 1.032 OG with the amount of yeast you've pitched means it was likely done fermenting in about 3 days. You've had plenty of time for cleanup and cold crashing at this point would be unnecessary.

Like Bobby says, there is no need to wait, cold crash, or anything else. S04 is a beast and ferments quick, and a full pack in 3 gallons of 1.032 would be done quick. It's done. Package it, carb, and enjoy.

Thank you for all the replies,I will package it in a few days and after it's cold crashed, I'll condition it in the bottles, then I'll share the results, left home again,

Back