Toms Deodorant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCalAngler

Reaction score
I use Arm & Hammer deodorant because it doesn't have aluminum. I don't like how aluminum deodorants stain the armpits of my undershirts and I'm not sure I like the idea of absorbing all that aluminum.

The grocery store stopped carrying Arm & Hammer so I was looking another deodorant without aluminum and found this:

photo.JPG

They use hops for their antibacterial properties! I can feel great all day knowing I have beer ingredients in my pits.

Might need to reach out to them to see which hops they actually use in the product... Of course, if they don't grow their own, maybe that has something to do with the hop shortages... :eek:

I try to not use any deodorant with aluminum in it... Can be mighty difficult finding stuff that's just a deodorant and not an anti-perspirant (sp?) too (those do have aluminum in them)... I usually buy several at a time so that I don't need to worry about finding them again next time.

I work at a shop that sells all of these types of deodorants among other kinds of natural and specialty food stuff. I gave them a try and then just switched back to the aluminum. In my experience these are a big step down in terms of stinkin'.

I don't like how aluminum deodorants stain the armpits of my undershirts and I'm not sure I like the idea of absorbing all that aluminum.

It's the aluminum that does that? Damn. I'm switching. I hate dropping $50 or $60 on a nice new dark colored dress shirt only to have it ruined after a couple of months due to white pits.

Maybe all those "new craft beer contracts" that are sucking up all the Simcoe and Amarillo are actually "craft deodorant contracts" after all.

Toms is great when ya can find it. If ya like it, stock up. Places in Oregon and places here seem to only carry the scents appropriate for females (peach, etc).

Vinegar (Acetic acid). Seriously. The smell goes away.

It is a no brainer for a homebrewer. When you drink ethanol your body breaks it down, one of the steps is to acetic acid. Besides you can make your own if you are already making wine.

Vinegar (Acetic acid). Seriously. The smell goes away.

It is a no brainer for a homebrewer. When you drink ethanol your body breaks it down, one of the steps is to acetic acid. Besides you can make your own if you are already making wine.

and really? (sorry. i haven't figured out the double quote yet)

The button to the right of the "quote" button is for multiquoting. Click that on all the posts you want to quote then hit the quote button on the last and it will put them all into a reply box.

Yup. It kills and prevents the bacteria that cause the odor.

I've heard that and never tried it although it is the primary ingredient in the deodorant I use.

Next week I'll try it out and see who I offend. This is going to be odd.

I've heard that milk of magnesia is quite effective as a deodorant, though I don't know whether it stains or not. I've never tried it - after a lifetime of using aluminum based deodorants - if they cause Alzheimer's, at my age, I'm already doomed. :)

Really.

I have been using distilled white vinegar applied with a cotton ball. No vinegar smell at all after a few minutes and lasts 30+hours.

Lets just say my love life has been really active since switching. Not attributing it to pheromones or something similar, that I have little knowledge of. But my personal observation is that for no other reason that I can think of; my wife has been all over me like when we first met (which is a really good thing).

It's worth a shot, right?

I've heard that and never tried it although it is the primary ingredient in the deodorant I use.

Next week I'll try it out and see who I offend. This is going to be odd.

The only problem I see with only using alcohol is that it is going to evaporate / absorb.

So while it may kill the bacteria, it may not "last." I could be wrong though.

How about dry hopping some alcohol and swabbing that in your pits? You could mix in enough glycol to get it to solidify and then rub that on your stinky bits... :eek: Probably last longer than just rubbing hop cones into your pits. :D

The only problem I see with only using alcohol is that it is going to evaporate / absorb.

So while it may kill the bacteria, it may not "last." I could be wrong though.

I think it's worth a test. If I stink I stink.

I've been using one of those crystal sticks (probably like Steelers77 mentioned) throughout the winter, and it definitely keeps the stink down. How it will work when it starts getting warmer, I don't know.

I'm not afraid of aluminum, but I'd rather not go back to regular antiperspirant because it makes my pits itch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't consider myself to 'stink' until a whiff causes my own eyes to water... :ban:

Look hard enough and you'll find people using almost everything as a 'deodorant'...

Now, if we could find out which hops Tom's is using in their product, that would go a long way... :D :rockin: :drunk:

Back